Chinese Pirate Junk (Amati; 1:100) - 2nd Build

Yesterday went to visit the local hobby shop without any clear intention to purchase a new kit but if I saw one I just couldn’t pass up…

Came away with the Amati Chinese Pirate Junk. POB so my first planking kit.

Opened the box when I got home, perused the drawings and instructions, boxed everything back up for the evening and started doing some research. 1st impression was that Amati’s instructions, while clearly written, are a bit sparser than the ones that came with my first build (Corel Line’s Mayflower) and the drawings are also a bit sparser. Second impression was that this should be an interesting build. And then the old saw – take your time.

DSCN6935.JPG

DSCN6936.JPG

DSCN6937.JPG

DSCN6938.JPG

Too nice a day to spend inside today so not much accomplished. Have the keel piece and bulkheads cutout and the first 2 bulkheads mounted to the keel. Enough for today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very happy, that you started this building log - I am looking forward
BTW: we have no limitation in photo size (like in some other forum), so you are free to post the photos full size....

I am very happy, that you started this building log - I am looking forward
BTW: we have no limitation in photo size (like in some other forum), so you are free to post the photos full size....
Appreciate the nod to full-size photos. They seemed to get a bit out of control with my last build so I started with the thumbnails.

Finished installing the bulkheads to the keel piece yesterday and began working on the rudder assembly. Part of this is sanding a notch in the end of the keel piece to accommodate the rudder post and a corresponding notch in the aftmost bulkhead (called bulkhead 0 [zero]).

I didn’t go easy enough with the file and cracked bulkhead 0. Repair was non-eventful but I still have a bit more filing to do to get it where it needs to be (there’s a decorative piece that covers bulkhead 0 so I’m not concerned over the minor crack that exists after the repair).

Have installed the first lashing holding the rudder to the rudder post; this also affects how much filing needs to be done in the keel’s sternmost area. (I used Google Translate to make sure that what I thought the Italian said was in fact what it said.)DSCN6940.JPGDSCN6941.JPGDSCN6943.JPGDSCN6944.JPGDSCN6946.JPGDSCN6947.JPGDSCN6948.JPGDSCN6950.JPG

Nice start. I have this kit in my list of future kits to built. I will be following your thread With high interest.

Best
Daniel

Yesterday evening I finished the rudder. I decided not to stain or paint it but to leave it the natural wood color. To lash it to the sternpost, before gluing the rudder to the post, I drilled 5 x 0.8mm holes just off the edge of the post. After the glue dried I used a small sewing needle to pass the smallest diameter thread that came with the kit through each hole so that I ended up with 4 loops around the post. I pulled the thread tight and then glued the thread close to the post on both sides of the rudder letting a bit of glue fill-in each hole. I held the threads taut with some clamps and once it had set trimmed the ends close to the rudder. A drop more glue and the ends of the threads disappeared. Most of the stern post is hidden by what I’m calling bulkhead 0 (the instructions call it frame 0) so not using any paint on the sternpost allows it to move in the grooves filed in the stern-most part of the keel and bulkhead 0. I decided to use the lighter of the two colors of 1mm x 2mm wood strips to finish framing the rudder. This morning, after letting all the glue dry overnight, I sprayed a light coat of clear acrylic on the rudder, lashings and lower portion of the post. I’ll give it one more coat this evening after a light sanding.

Having time this morning before I had to be in the office, I glued the false decks in place. The false decks needed a bit of minor work (dry fitting, sanding, nibbling, and repeat as needed) to get them to fit right. No major issues here. The aft (upper) false deck overhangs the stern just enough to cover bulkhead 0 when that is installed later today.

Will start thinking about the hull planking after I get the rudder and bulkhead 0 installed.DSCN6966.JPGDSCN6967.JPGDSCN6956.JPGDSCN6957.JPGDSCN6960.JPGDSCN6962.JPGDSCN6964.JPGDSCN6965.JPG

Rudder installed. Used some filler to create a smooth transition between bulkheads 0 and 1 as a gluing surface for the planks. Have the first 2 planks on each side installed. Before I go any further I’m going to fix a floor for the area directly under the main and fore hold hatches.

DSCN6968.JPGDSCN6969.JPGDSCN6970.JPGDSCN6972.JPGDSCN6976.JPGDSCN6978.JPGDSCN6984.JPG

Rudder installed. Used some filler to create a smooth transition between bulkheads 0 and 1 as a gluing surface for the planks. Have the first 2 planks on each side installed. Before I go any further I’m going to fix a floor for the area directly under the main and fore hold hatches.

View attachment 179497View attachment 179498View attachment 179499View attachment 179500View attachment 179501View attachment 179502View attachment 179503

View attachment 179497View attachment 179498View attachment 179499View attachment 179500View attachment 179501View attachment 179502View attachment 179503

Nice start. I have this kit in my list of future kits to built. I will be following your thread With high interest.

Best
Daniel

Yesterday evening I finished the rudder. I decided not to stain or paint it but to leave it the natural wood color. To lash it to the sternpost, before gluing the rudder to the post, I drilled 5 x 0.8mm holes just off the edge of the post. After the glue dried I used a small sewing needle to pass the smallest diameter thread that came with the kit through each hole so that I ended up with 4 loops around the post. I pulled the thread tight and then glued the thread close to the post on both sides of the rudder letting a bit of glue fill-in each hole. I held the threads taut with some clamps and once it had set trimmed the ends close to the rudder. A drop more glue and the ends of the threads disappeared. Most of the stern post is hidden by what I’m calling bulkhead 0 (the instructions call it frame 0) so not using any paint on the sternpost allows it to move in the grooves filed in the stern-most part of the keel and bulkhead 0. I decided to use the lighter of the two colors of 1mm x 2mm wood strips to finish framing the rudder. This morning, after letting all the glue dry overnight, I sprayed a light coat of clear acrylic on the rudder, lashings and lower portion of the post. I’ll give it one more coat this evening after a light sanding.

Having time this morning before I had to be in the office, I glued the false decks in place. The false decks needed a bit of minor work (dry fitting, sanding, nibbling, and repeat as needed) to get them to fit right. No major issues here. The aft (upper) false deck overhangs the stern just enough to cover bulkhead 0 when that is installed later today.

Will start thinking about the hull planking after I get the rudder and bulkhead 0 installed.View attachment 179234View attachment 179235View attachment 179236View attachment 179237View attachment 179238View attachment 179239View attachment 179240View attachment 179241

I

Nice to see another build of this model! A couple of comments you might find useful since I built this model a while back. The wing decks above the rear deck house are quite fragile and I cracked them several times during assembly before clamping a mixing stick on the upper surface for reinforcement while working on other parts of the model. Also, I found it better to add the cabin decals as early as possible because later on access to this area becomes difficult. Best wishes for success!

Nice to see another build of this model! A couple of comments you might find useful since I built this model a while back. The wing decks above the rear deck house are quite fragile and I cracked them several times during assembly before clamping a mixing stick on the upper surface for reinforcement while working on other parts of the model. Also, I found it better to add the cabin decals as early as possible because later on access to this area becomes difficult. Best wishes for success!

Sy - Thanks for the hints. Haven't cracked the wing decks yet but came close once. Trying to be real careful in that area. I like your temporary reinforcement idea. I'd decided to do the same with the decals; nice to see that I'm not out in left field here. (See next post.)

Going slow with the hull planking. Have the first 4 on each side done; looks like I’m starting to enter the ‘interesting’ portion with planks curving in several directions. Should be fun.

While waiting for planks to dry I’ve been working on other pieces so that they are ready to go. Have the cannon trucks painted and the barrels mounted. Also, have started putting the decals on the thin wooden backings so they will be ready to mount.

Have been looking over the instructions, drawings and the model as she takes shape. Have decided that the decals around the cabin area will need to be mounted before I get the bulwarks planked and the bow /stern decals will be mounted as I finish planking the hull in those areas. Decided to paint the edges of several of the decal mounting boards red to match the edge color of the decals; looks better than burnt wood. I’ve also been thinking about planking the main deck before I plank the bulwarks as I’ll have more room to work without the bulwarks in place.

Writing will slow down as I work on the hull planking.

DSCN6986.JPGDSCN6987.JPGDSCN6988.JPGDSCN6990.JPG

Have gotten the side of the hull planked; will start on the bottom tomorrow. In between planking the hull I’ve finished the cannons, mounted all but 2 small rear quarter decals onto their thin wood backings, finished the forward hatch cover ‘hut’, and started the deck planking. My plan is to finish the hull and deck planking tomorrow. I will then start glue on the rear cabin decals and start work on the bulwarks. Once I have the bulwarks completed & the cannon ports cutout, I’ll start on finish sanding the hull. Will report as work progresses.
DSCN6993.JPGDSCN6996.JPGDSCN6997.JPGDSCN6998.JPGDSCN7002.JPGDSCN7004.JPG

Made progress over the weekend. The first picture shows where I was Saturday morning, the next where I was that afternoon and the third where I was by Sunday evening (all pins removed; pin holes and gaps filled; sanding started). Along the way, as breaks in planking the hull, I planked the forward, aft and side platforms and started on the decking above the cabin. As I continue to sand the hull to get it the surface where it needs to be, I will continue planking the decks. Once the deck planking is completed there is some ‘interior’ planking (inside of forward and aft bulkheads) that needs to be done before moving on to finishing the cabin and planking the bulwarks. I’m also trying out different finishes for the hull on some small pieces of scrap.

DSCN7006.JPGDSCN7011.JPGDSCN7017.JPGDSCN7008.JPGDSCN7009.JPGDSCN7018.JPG

A week of slowly sanding the lower hull and planking the deck. I also painted the upper frames so they look like timbers as well as painting the undersides of the false decks at the rear of the ship. Will be working on the upper bulwark planking this weekend along with sanding the deck and adding some trim pieces that go around the various deck elements.
DSCN7028.JPGDSCN7030.JPG

Good progress JohnR. These ships are different and always offer a nice alternative to the run of the mill build.

The weekend went well. Due to not so great weather I was able to put some time in on finishing the hull. Have the bulwark all planked and the cannon ports cut out. I may have gotten carried away with the planking as I planked up the exterior of the aft most part of the ship adjacent to the tiller. We’ll see how it looks as the week progresses; I can always cut side viewing ports into that part of the upper hull.

Cutting the cannon ports did not turn out to be as difficult as I expected. After getting two of the bulwark planks installed and making a template that located the ports centrally between the vertical frames I was able to mark the locations and cut away the needed wood. I then installed the remaining two bulwark planks. The result is cannon ports that are just a bit taller than they are wide but they look serviceable. I still have to trim them out; will do that this week.

As seen in the photos I decided to paint the portion of the hull that is at or below the waterline. So where is the waterline on a junk? I looked at lots of photos of late 19th century through modern era junks and some drawings of older ones and noticed how much of the rudder is typically out of the water – based on that I locate the waterline on the ship.

I wasn’t sure if I was going to paint the inner side of the bulwark but noticed when I was dry-fitting planks that the tops of some of the vertical frames weren’t high enough to allow the last plank to be glued to them. I made extensions from some of the plywood that the major parts were cut from, glued them to the tops of the frames and then painted the frames and inner side of the planking to match the paint that I had already put on the frame ends.

This week will be given over to doing a bit more sanding on the upper hull, adding the remaining deck platforms forward & sides, adding the fore and aft decorative panels, and assembling the anchors and windlasses. Once all of that is done I’ll start locating the eyebolts and rigging anchor hardware.

Still lots to do but I’m happy with the progress so far.

DSCN7033.JPGDSCN7037.JPGDSCN7040.JPGDSCN7041.JPGDSCN7045.JPGDSCN7046.JPGDSCN7050.JPGDSCN7052.JPGDSCN7054.JPGDSCN7056.JPGDSCN7057.JPGDSCN7059.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN7035.JPG
    DSCN7035.JPG
    282.4 KB · Views: 3
Back