Christmas List

Well, after starting my first model ( 1805 Swift ) I realised that all the tools I have for woodworking none would help me in this scale I am getting introduced to.
I thought it would be cool to have a Christmas List of tools I wish I could get for the holidays.
1- Miniature chop saw
2- Bar clamps suited for this craft
3- CA that actually works
4- wood strecher
5- A dog bone for my dog who sits at my feet most of the time
Tell us what yours are so we will get more ideas of tools for Christmas;
Happy Holidays everybody !
Steven

Well, after starting my first model ( 1805 Swift ) I realised that all the tools I have for woodworking none would help me in this scale I am getting introduced to.
I thought it would be cool to have a Christmas List of tools I wish I could get for the holidays.
1- Miniature chop saw
2- Bar clamps suited for this craft
3- CA that actually works
4- wood strecher
5- A dog bone for my dog who sits at my feet most of the time
Tell us what yours are so we will get more ideas of tools for Christmas;
Happy Holidays everybody !
Steven
I’m amazed at the quality of work shown here on SOS some builders with a room full of tools and some with only a handful. Tools are nice to have however, it’s the skills of the builder that make the difference. IMHO

Ron

(i) For me, the hobby extends to power tools. It takes skill to safely use power tools to get the desired result. I just love getting new miniature power tools. Currently I have asked for a CNC kit for my Proxxon mill. Hopefully Santa heard my request.

But if I were to extend this to the world of make believe I would also ask for the following:
(ii) A one stop shop for where to purchase every type of model that I would ever want where shipping is free.

(iii) A machine or device where I could put the wood in on one end and it would output strakes in the desired length and curvature.

(iv) A model that has all the parts that I need and that I don't have to buy anymore wood or fittings.

(v) Encyclopedia Navis

I treat the “tool” thing as a hobby in itself. I will get tools just for the sake of collecting cool tools that may or may not be useful. Many I try one time and say “Well, that didn’t work.” But many of my tools are incredibly helpful for one specific use during a model build…sits on the shelf otherwise. But that one time you really, really need that tool is worth the price! Anyway, I have way more files, sanders, pliers, pinchers, cutters, clippers, benders, thingies, drillers, carvers, brushes, painters, pushers, pullers, gizmos, and mystery tools than any one modeler would ever use. Well, to be fair, half of them I did inherit from my Dad who was an avid HO train enthusiast and built all the model buildings and scenery, etc.

I managed to swing a Rikon mini lathe for Christmas, which was on sale locally. Then I needed, of course, a set of lathe gouges, skew chisel, parting tool, roughing gouge and so on. The lathe on the work bench is too high so, of course, I needed a solid stand. Then, of course, I need a slow speed grinder. Then, of course, a sharpening guide.

Then I was told “this is a couch, isn’t it?”. I had no idea what that meant until… “it’s like you buy a couch, then the couch needs new matching cushions, and the curtains need to match the couch colour, oh and the walls now need repainting and the carpet needs….”.

Good grief! Trying to say you can sit on a lathe bed really isn’t a good response ROTFROTF.

I'm always looking for various sizes and shapes of clamps! It seems like I never have the correct one when I need it!! Merry Christmas Magic Mike

I managed to swing a Rikon mini lathe for Christmas, which was on sale locally. Then I needed, of course, a set of lathe gouges, skew chisel, parting tool, roughing gouge and so on. The lathe on the work bench is too high so, of course, I needed a solid stand. Then, of course, I need a slow speed grinder. Then, of course, a sharpening guide.

Then I was told “this is a couch, isn’t it?”. I had no idea what that meant until… “it’s like you buy a couch, then the couch needs new matching cushions, and the curtains need to match the couch colour, oh and the walls now need repainting and the carpet needs….”.

Good grief! Trying to say you can sit on a lathe bed really isn’t a good response ROTFROTF.
I hear you. God bless their little hearts

I'm always looking for various sizes and shapes of clamps! It seems like I never have the correct one when I need it!! Merry Christmas Magic Mike
The fun thing about clamps is you can find useful clamps in a lot sources otherwise ignored. I have found suitable small clamps in quilting supplies, laundry supplies, gardening supplies, office supplies, and electronic supplies. Everything from plant clips, laundry clothespins, to wiring alligator clips. I am always looking for items I can repurpose!

Here's another 'clamp' idea i use a lot - garden plant plastic covered wire tie. Thread it through where necessary to clamp pieces together, and twist ends together with pliers - surprisingly firm and effective, particulary in awkward places where you can't get a proper clamp in position.
You can buy a reel in any garden store

Ted

When I háve to think of something, I turn a blank. Once the festivities are behind us, I come up with good ideas (then I obviously don't scribble them down and the circle comes round again).
In my book, that is absolutely NORMAL!
Since you two can’t decide you are definitely both candidates for a lump of coal this year ROTF

I would love to have more light where needed, and a touch more heat in the room.

Hard to build wearing layers of sweaters and jackets.

But it doesn't get real cold in Oklahoma, but those few days when it drops below 32, can be a bear to work in the shop with one little floor heater.

The other thing I would like, is sand paper that don't clog or wear out.

(i) For me, the hobby extends to power tools. It takes skill to safely use power tools to get the desired result. I just love getting new miniature power tools. Currently I have asked for a CNC kit for my Proxxon mill. Hopefully Santa heard my request.

But if I were to extend this to the world of make believe I would also ask for the following:
(ii) A one stop shop for where to purchase every type of model that I would ever want where shipping is free.

(iii) A machine or device where I could put the wood in on one end and it would output strakes in the desired length and curvature.

(iv) A model that has all the parts that I need and that I don't have to buy anymore wood or fittings.

(v) Encyclopedia Navis
Take a look at Great Hobbies, they have now OcCre products.

I’m amazed at the quality of work shown here on SOS some builders with a room full of tools and some with only a handful. Tools are nice to have however, it’s the skills of the builder that make the difference. IMHO

Ron
I don’t disagree with you, Ron (a craftsman never blames his tools!), but I’ve lost count of the times my Dad has said, “There’s no substitute for having the right tool for the job,” and I am a believer!

I would love to have more light where needed, and a touch more heat in the room.

Hard to build wearing layers of sweaters and jackets.

But it doesn't get real cold in Oklahoma, but those few days when it drops below 32, can be a bear to work in the shop with one little floor heater.

The other thing I would like, is sand paper that don't clog or wear out.
What I did (because COLD sucks)

IMG_1251.JPG

I am looking for a window unit that is both heat and AC, which are out there, but may have to wait till my taxes come back if they do in Feb.

Back