Civil War Ironclads - Plastic & Resin

I will be 91 next month & still love building models of all types.. I have been building models since before Pearl Harbor. I will try to post a lot of pictures as I have been having trouble posting from Google Photos. They are a great place for pictures & editing them.
I will start with various scale ironclads. Well I got some pictures posted & will come back & try to explain what I sent. You will have to excuse my writing as macular degeneration hit me this year & writing is tough. I can still see to build models with my Optivisor. gene1

18-DSCN7820 - Copy.JPG
18-DSCN7820 - Copy.JPG18-DSCN7820 - Copy.JPG11-DSCN7737.JPG07-DSCN7722-001.JPG03-DSCN7742.JPG04-DSCN7743.JPG05-DSCN7744.JPG06-DSCN7745.JPG12-DSCN7814.JPG13-DSCN7815 - Copy.JPG14-DSCN7816 - Copy.JPG17-DSCN7819.JPG18-DSCN7820 - Copy.JPG13-DSCN7752 - Copy.JPG16-DSCN7755 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• Civil War Ironclads & submarine-001.zip
    353.1 KB · Views: 10
Hi, All of these ironclads are either resin or plastic kits. I did basswood hulls for the 1/200 Virginia &Monitor They were waterline kits. There are 2 plastic Pyro kits that I changed the off center turret to the correct location & one of them I enlarged to 1/200 .
The large 1/72 Monitor was a rare French Battle Axe kit. I did a lot of work on it & even spent a week on redoing the turret. I am trying to get things straight on posting pictures & getting my post written right..
The Cairo has been raised & partially together on display at the Vicksburg battlefield. I saw it there about 40 years ago. this is a 1/200 Flagship model.

The Constitution is a 1/96 wood model I built about 35 years ago when i could still tie knots. gene1

Attachments

• DSCN2335.JPG
    DSCN2335.JPG
    362.8 KB · Views: 14
Nice fleet of Iron clads.
If you are looking for something different ECard models has a 1:100 scale model of the USS Monitor with a complete interior. The designer is a friend of mine. He worked closely with NOAA's USS Monitor Center developing the model. Paper models generally are down loaded as PDF files and you print them on your home InkJet printer. if you make a mistake you just print another part. This model is designed to be printed on a large format printer.

if you have any questions on paper models just ask.

Jim Nunn

Hi Jim & thanks. I think my modeling time is getting limited because of Macular degeneration. It might hold off, I don't know. I also get lost with anything different on a computer, thats why I screwed up this post at first. I have been on Fine Scale Forum for years & know how to do it fine.
I do have some new pictures I will print maybe.
The last is my Flagship Cairo. The base is a little dusty because it is from 5 years ago. The 3rd is my 172 Monitor from Battle Axe & a lot of work model to do it decent. The 2nd is my 1/200 Pyro Plastic model with a reverse turret. It was wrong on the kit. I enlarged this to 1/200 to go with the resin Virginia , which I put a wood hull on. The first is a mix with my 1/96 Alabama from Revell. I did it & the Kearsarge both . Very nice kits.
I have to put these on because they were the most fun to build I did the 1/26 General first & then did the pair of 1869 Meeting of the Rails. I scratched all the changes from the General kit'.

08-DSCN7734 (1).JPG12-DSCN7738 (1).JPG13-DSCN7752 (1).JPG14-DSCN7753.JPG15-DSCN7754.JPG09-DSCN7477 (1).jpg

Nice fleet of Iron clads.
If you are looking for something different ECard models has a 1:100 scale model of the USS Monitor with a complete interior. The designer is a friend of mine. He worked closely with NOAA's USS Monitor Center developing the model. Paper models generally are down loaded as PDF files and you print them on your home InkJet printer. if you make a mistake you just print another part. This model is designed to be printed on a large format printer.

if you have any questions on paper models just ask.

Jim Nunn

Jim, I reread your post & I would be interested in paper kits. I am lost on most things on a computer, because I don't understand the language. It has changed so much for someone as old as me that I get lost trying to figure it out. I did print the decals on these trains I put on. Another builder who did these engines too, put them on. Thanks .
Gene

Hi Gene, of course I don’t know you, and I apologize for this direct approach, but I just want to let you know that you made my day! What an inspiration!

I am almost half your age, and sometimes I think for how long I’ll be able to keep up doing this hobby, both physically and mentally… and I have so many projects in the pipeline

I just have to stop complaining with myself and get my things done!

Very nice models indeed! Congratulations and keep up the good work.

All the best to you, and I look forward to see more of your work.

Best regards,

Duarte Folgado

Stunning work. I love the Hunley with the troops in the same position as the famous little painting. Nice! I've had the General sitting up in the rafters in the basement for a couple of decades. I think you're motivating me to get at it. Have you ever seen the General? Or the gravesite of the Raiders in Chattanooga? Thanks for the beautiful work of those unique vessels. Using the mirror to show the sternwheel is a very nice touch.
mammoth-cave-stones-river-chattanooga-chickamauga-townsend-339-jpg.64477

Thank you guys for all the nice things you said. I do enjoy model building. I started building Plastic & resin ships I have a house full of Fighter planes, & all kind of cars , Indy, F-1, Nascar, & a ton of Ferrari's.
Jersey if you need any info on the General build I have a lot of pictures of my build of the 3 1/25 engines. I have seen the real General at Kennesaw Ga. My wife grew up in Atlanta .I didn't know if it was ok to put trains or other models on this forum.

I do have a room full of some real nice plastic full rigged ships I will put on. I built a bunch of plank on frame wood ships & riverboats too. here are a couple of my train layouts from years back.

Attachments

• 129695797541359786.jpg
    129695797541359786.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 129695799995203696.jpg
    129695799995203696.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 11

Gene 1
The close ups of the models really show off your skills. First off I'm not that far behind you when it comes to age. I fined that building models keeps my. hands steady and I do have use hi power lens to see some of the parts.

The following link ( just click on it )
https://ecardmodels.com/?s=monitor
Will take you to Ecard models page of Civil War Ironclads. The files will open in what ever program you have on your computer that displays photos. Then just print the model. The model needs to be printed on heavy paper any card stock rated at around 67Lb will do the job. You can find this paper at any Walmart or Staples.

Jim, I reread your post & I would be interested in paper kits. I am lost on most things on a computer, because I don't understand the language. It has changed so much for someone as old as me that I get lost trying to figure it out. I did print the decals on these trains I put on. Another builder who did these engines too, put them on. Thanks .
Gene

How do I clean up the name of my post & make some sense out of it? Also, what do I have to do to be approved?

Hallo @gene1 ,
only Admins can change or edit the titles - so please tell me which title you would like......
The second question I do not understand..... which approval do you mean?

This post is the one I need changed to say simply " Plastic & resin Civil War Ironclads"

Thanks, Gene

This post is the one I need changed to say simply " Plastic & resin Civil War Ironclads"

Thanks, Gene
ok - due to the fact, that we are in the plastic area - I made the title reverse

So hope to see much more of your Plastic & resin Civil War ironclads ...... very good work

I will be 91 next month & still love building models of all types.. I have been building models since before Pearl Harbor. I will try to post a lot of pictures as I have been having trouble posting from Google Photos. They are a great place for pictures & editing them.
I will start with various scale ironclads. Well I got some pictures posted & will come back & try to explain what I sent. You will have to excuse my writing as macular degeneration hit me this year & writing is tough. I can still see to build models with my Optivisor. gene1
Hallo @gene1
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back