Clear Acrylic Rod for Portholes - 1/200 Titanic

Hello there,
I've started building the Trumpeter 1/200 Titanic and noted a couple of posts which reference the use of clear acrylic rod to simulate the ships porthole glass and provide support to interior lighting effects.

I was wondering if anyone who has used this technique may be able to recommend the different sizes of rod used for the various sized portholes on the model.

Any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

I used to hang out with Fred Tournier, who used white glue to fill in his portholes. When it dried it looked like clear glass.
Thanks for that info. I have used that technique for small windows before on warships, mainly above main deck type scuttles, but never on a hull. Particularly given the size of the Titanic model and the number of portholes, I wasn't too certain how that would work out with trying to provide internal lighting. Another option I have seen is the use of fibre optic threads in the portholes, but not having working with that medium I wouldn't be too confident using it for this scale of activity. ;)

I dont know if it applies to your model or not, but I built an LED network for my large President that really lights it up. Trn LEDs did the trick. Uses a 9V source. Connection was via varnished copper wire from the craft store, plus I made little lanterns out of soda straws.20201223_232540.jpg20201228_211259.jpg20201220_191835.jpg20201220_192118.jpg

I dont know if it applies to your model or not, but I built an LED network for my large President that really lights it up. Trn LEDs did the trick. Uses a 9V source. Connection was via varnished copper wire from the craft store, plus I made little lanterns out of soda straws.View attachment 235353View attachment 235354View attachment 235355View attachment 235356
The lighting in that model looks pretty amazing. I was planning on using LED strip lighting in the hull, for starters. Where do you source your lighting products from?

I just go on ebay where they sell sets of ten mini LED lamps. Then you just solder them up with copper wire, in parallel (if I remember how i did it). I can draw you a picture, if it would help, when I have some time. The lamps are a bit overdriven at 9 volts, so I ordered an ac adapter for a lower voltage. The lamps are hardy, but this will guarantee very long life. There are only 10 lamps but they look fantastic. The pictures don't do the setup justice.

How long is your model? Ten LEDs should do the trick for sure.

I just go on ebay where they sell sets of ten mini LED lamps. Then you just solder them up with copper wire, in parallel (if I remember how i did it). I can draw you a picture, if it would help, when I have some time. The lamps are a bit overdriven at 9 volts, so I ordered an ac adapter for a lower voltage. The lamps are hardy, but this will guarantee very long life. There are only 10 lamps but they look fantastic. The pictures don't do the setup justice.

How long is your model? Ten LEDs should do the trick for sure.
She's a big lady; 1.4 m long, with hundreds of portholes of varying sizes. :)

Attached is an article I found on the web about LED wiring with some very good information about wiring options and safety. LED's have a lot of mystery surrounding their use & safety and this article helps simplify that.
Happy Modelling
Steven

Attachments

• LED Wiring Explained.pdf
    420.8 KB · Views: 57
Attached is an article I found on the web about LED wiring with some very good information about wiring options and safety. LED's have a lot of mystery surrounding their use & safety and this article helps simplify that.
Happy Modelling
Steven
Hi Steven,
Thank you very much for providing this information. Greatly appreciated! :)
Cheers,
Steve

Hi there, I too have Trumpeter’s Titanic and am currently researching build methods and tips plus collecting upgrade bits and pieces. The question of the porthole styrene rods is addressed and modelled by Ben and Nora on their video build log found at the Midwest Model Shop YouTube set. There are currently 3 or 4 videos with one almost entirely devoted to portholes ( drilling and using styrene tubes). Cheers Kutuzov

If all the portholes share a common area inside the model, 10 or so LEDs will supply plenty of light to illuminate all of them. If you have built quarters and dividers in the model then of course that wouldn't work.

Hi there, I too have Trumpeter’s Titanic and am currently researching build methods and tips plus collecting upgrade bits and pieces. The question of the porthole styrene rods is addressed and modelled by Ben and Nora on their video build log found at the Midwest Model Shop YouTube set. There are currently 3 or 4 videos with one almost entirely devoted to portholes ( drilling and using styrene tubes). Cheers Kutuzov
Thanks for that. Found the build log on YouTube. Very helpful. :)
Cheers,
Steve

Check out pcboard.ca . They sell everything you need and will help you select the resistor size that you should have for each LED. Another member here recommended them to me and there are good instructions on their site for the beginner. Also consider light colour, flickering for oil lamps (not for Titanic I suppose), physical size, wire gauge, etc. You will see it all there. A friend of a friend who are artists in the model train field uses these folks also: https://www.ngineering.com/lightng.htm.

Last edited:
Check out pcboard.ca . They sell everything you need and will help you select the resistor size that you should have for each LED. Another member here recommended them to me and there are good instructions on their site for the beginner. Also consider light colour, flickering for oil lamps (not for Titanic I suppose), physical size, wire gauge, etc. You will see it all there. A friend of a friend who are artists in the model train field uses these folks also: https://www.ngineering.com/lightng.htm.
Thank you very much for the links and advice. The members here have been terrific with their suggestions and recommendations. :)

Hello Steve, I add to the Midwest YouTube logs with the following which are excellent: TheModelBoatGuy Titanic log, he is an engineer and has been working for about a year on it. His will be motorised, with lights, smoke and furniture and figures. He has 28 videos so far and Part 2 deals with the portholes and the use of clear resin for glazing. Nigel’s Modelling Bench is on a whole different level of engineering and detail but very useful. Just take from his You Tube programme what you need. Cheers, Kutuzov

Hello Steve, I add to the Midwest YouTube logs with the following which are excellent: TheModelBoatGuy Titanic log, he is an engineer and has been working for about a year on it. His will be motorised, with lights, smoke and furniture and figures. He has 28 videos so far and Part 2 deals with the portholes and the use of clear resin for glazing. Nigel’s Modelling Bench is on a whole different level of engineering and detail but very useful. Just take from his You Tube programme what you need. Cheers, Kutuzov
Thanks mate. I've watched five parts of their excellent log so far. :)

Back