Clear Finish Recommendations

About 20 years ago I completed the hull and planking all the way to the to the point of beginning the deck fittings and superstructure for the Artesina Latina Harvey 1847 Baltimore Clipper. The Harvey was my first ship model and after getting it to this point my primary interest in plastic automobiles took back over and the model has been in storage for now 20 years. I still have all the remaining parts and instructions and am thinking of jumping back on this since I am very happy with the way the model has come out to date. I would like to apply a finish to the hull before moving forward with the remaining build. Unlike some ship models, this model is not painted but the various colors/types of wood used are accented with a clear finish. What product do those experienced in ship building recommend I consider and should I apply by spray or brush? Any tips and tricks with finishes appreciated. I have included a photo of the box to give you a better idea of the finished product (at least according to the photos on the box).

Attachments

• 4C5A32F5-6F70-4007-8CF9-EB1ABA38733A.jpeg
    4C5A32F5-6F70-4007-8CF9-EB1ABA38733A.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 13
A satin or flat finish is preferres by most modelers. I personally just use a waterbased acrylic sealer after a light sanding of the hull - if its natural wood. If the hull is painted then a flat acrylic finish is what I prefer. Yes I use a lot of acrylics as my work area is small and I don't want to offend the Admiral.

I use a sanding sealer - brings out the colour of the wood, and imparts a very slight sheen to the surface. Water based sealers may tend to lift the surface grain slightly, in which case sand it down and apply a second coat. Chemical based sealers don't raise the grain.

Hello Ted. Can you recommend any specific brand\s you have used in the past? This will definitely help others. ;) Many thanks in advance.

About 20 years ago I completed the hull and planking all the way to the to the point of beginning the deck fittings and superstructure for the Artesina Latina Harvey 1847 Baltimore Clipper. The Harvey was my first ship model and after getting it to this point my primary interest in plastic automobiles took back over and the model has been in storage for now 20 years. I still have all the remaining parts and instructions and am thinking of jumping back on this since I am very happy with the way the model has come out to date. I would like to apply a finish to the hull before moving forward with the remaining build. Unlike some ship models, this model is not painted but the various colors/types of wood used are accented with a clear finish. What product do those experienced in ship building recommend I consider and should I apply by spray or brush? Any tips and tricks with finishes appreciated. I have included a photo of the box to give you a better idea of the finished product (at least according to the photos on the box).
The finish that I think looks the best is 2-3 coats of tung oil. Gives a nice low luster sheen and you do not have to worry about brush marks

Hallo @Jsobrato
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back