Clipper Donald McKay 1855 scratch by rwiederrich

I'm beside myself. I surely thought I had begun a build log for my open ocean diorama of the clipper Donald McKay. She was the last *Extreme* clipper build by shipwright Donald McKay.

Like most of my builds, I prefer to display my models in some action or mounting that represents an historical element of the ships history or upon some relic that signifies a connection to the model.

In this instance, I wanted to depict my next clipper in an element that represents what they endured. Namely the *Huge* oceans they traversed. She is immersed in a casting I created of a wild free ocean...nestled in a wooden base. Like the model...the water structures and details are not finished....but merely in mid construction. the open ocean effect is still evident.

I'm working on the fantail and am preparing to work on the decking of the poop deck. Like the clipper Lightning...Donald McKay had a significantly different deck arrangement then most clippers of the period. She was designed to have a single catwalk transvers from the poop cabin forward...along side the main mast to the deck/roof of the main cabin and forecastle.

So much more to do...but here are some images of her as she is currently.

Rob

1708697140463.png1708697377667.png1708697488688.png1708697861414.png

That looks really nice Rob. Have you built this from scratch? I like the sails too. Pete.
Yes I did. However, the hull is a basic Rebel CS hull below the waterline. Everything above the waterline is scratch built. Sails too.

Rob

Love what your doing with your presentation..the deck layout I find really interesting, almost reversed from any other clipper I've seen. I am fast becoming a fan of the clipper ship era and I am preparing to start building my MSW Flying Fish kit. I'm toying with the idea of building a scratch built copy along with it, and if I can identify another Mckay clipper roughly the same dimension, making the deck layout modifications etc. You appear to be pretty knowledgable about the genre and I wonder if you might have any suggestions?

Love what your doing with your presentation..the deck layout I find really interesting, almost reversed from any other clipper I've seen. I am fast becoming a fan of the clipper ship era and I am preparing to start building my MSW Flying Fish kit. I'm toying with the idea of building a scratch built copy along with it, and if I can identify another Mckay clipper roughly the same dimension, making the deck layout modifications etc. You appear to be pretty knowledgable about the genre and I wonder if you might have any suggestions?
Thanks. She had an ingenious deck and catwalk arrangement….where crew coul access the full length of her weather deck from poop to forecastle without descending down to her main deck. Clipper Lightning which was built a year earlier had double catwalks.

The Staghound, was built the year before Flying Fish and was about 29 tons heavier at 1534. Staghound was McKay’s first extreme clipper. She might be a good try.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I'll be following along on your build with great interest, it looks fascinating. I'm going to do some research on the staghound on your suggestion and see if it's a good match. It will be my first foray into scratch building, and I think using a quality kit as a guide along the way might ease the learning curve a bit. I hope so anyway. Probably do a build log for one or the other, which will also be a first for me.

John

Thanks Rob, I'll be following along on your build with great interest, it looks fascinating. I'm going to do some research on the staghound on your suggestion and see if it's a good match. It will be my first foray into scratch building, and I think using a quality kit as a guide along the way might ease the learning curve a bit. I hope so anyway. Probably do a build log for one or the other, which will also be a first for me.

John
Super. I’ll be sure to follow along.

Rob

I am happy to see that you are working on a new project - I will follow this log with big interest

I am happy to see that you are working on a new project - I will follow this log with big interest
Yeah...this build will be a bit different then the others. I will have started with an existing model....I removed the old deck and its furniture and added a new deck and houses that will represent the Clipper Donald McKay. This display will be much larger and more active...as its the big open ocean.

Once the decks are completed and the houses and new furniture are added(all this being done under the existing rigging)...I will finish off the storm sails and their reduced rigging. Just a jib sail and upper and lower topsails will be set.

I love the concept... Reworking the ship is the biggest challenge.

Back