Colchester Fishing Smack

A new project started, staying with the theme of traditional working craft of the British Isles. Following research, I acquired lines drawings of a Colchester fishing smack. Happily, the smack concerned still exists and is about to undergo a complete rebuild. Luckily, with the help of the owner I have been able look at, make notes and taken lots of pictures to enable me to proceed with the model. The owner later supplied me with pictures showing the various stages of reconstruction of a similar craft.

As you can see from the pictures I have set up keel, stem and stern deadwood in a building jig (This is small scale at only 370mm overall length) I have set up dummy card frames to begin with to make sure there are no glaring errors in the lines. The next step will be cut timber frames and glue in.

DSC02412.JPG

DSC02413.JPG

DSC02414.JPG

Interesting idea with using these dummy cardboard bulkheads
I am looking forward to see your little boat growing

Smack 1.JPGSmack 2.JPG
Update to the Colchester fishing smack. Framing almost complete. Just struggling a little with the construction of the counter stern. I will add shear strakes, beam shelves and some deck frames to ensure stability before removing the whole thing from the building frame. Have not figured out how I am going to support the model while planking yet but I will probably think of something.

Smack 1.JPG

A new project started, staying with the theme of traditional working craft of the British Isles. Following research, I acquired lines drawings of a Colchester fishing smack. Happily, the smack concerned still exists and is about to undergo a complete rebuild. Luckily, with the help of the owner I have been able look at, make notes and taken lots of pictures to enable me to proceed with the model. The owner later supplied me with pictures showing the various stages of reconstruction of a similar craft.

As you can see from the pictures I have set up keel, stem and stern deadwood in a building jig (This is small scale at only 370mm overall length) I have set up dummy card frames to begin with to make sure there are no glaring errors in the lines. The next step will be cut timber frames and glue in.
Hallo @scratchbuild
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back