Colonial Schooner Sultana

Dave:
What scale will your model be and what species of wood will you use?
Thanks

sources for the build will be a model built by Harold Hahn and research from his private library

a0067.jpga51.jpga48.jpga43.jpga42.jpg

another source is the book

sultana book.JPG

reference source is the admiralty drawing which is being used only as a reference the main drawings are based on the drawings done by Ben Lankford which is also the drawing provided in the kit

tracing3.JPG

The kit is 3/16 scale and it is a solid hull. i will have to redesign the hull for a plank on bulkhead so the first step is to scan and trace the kit plans.

tracing2.JPG

tracing.JPG

an over all look at the CAD file

tracing4.JPG

there is always the pre-planning so you don't get to far ahead and find out it won't work and it's back to square 1 which i have done many times.

first thought is planking the hull, a lot of kits use thin planking and double plank the hull. i never double plank a hull because even though thinner planks bend easier, with thinner material you loose strength so i use thicker plank of a wood that will take the bends and twists.
another reason for double planking is many kits have few bulkheads spaced wide apart. What this does or should i say does not do is give enough support for the planking and planks tend to lay flat between widly spaced bulkheads and not giving you a true hull shape.

bulkhead1.JPG

what you see here is a profile the red lines are the body lines the blue lines are added. Note the 2 wide bulkheads one blue one red. This is where the main deck breaks so you need a ledge for the upper and lower deck planks to land on. This is a double bulkhead. The horizontal line is the bottom of the slots for the bulkheads.

bulkhead2.JPG

final result is a profile piece

bulkhead3.JPG

and all the bulkheads

bulkhead4.JPG

next is to lay out the stern timbers

these are the drawing and it looks good in CAD but will it build? that i will find out once the parts are laser cut.
actually i am not starting with drawings and building a model, the model and the plans are being done together. So the plans are "as built"

Last edited:
while i am waiting for the laser cut parts to arrive i am drawing various parts.
once i scanned and enlarged the original drawingd from 3/16 scale to 1/4 scale i can trace parts i need and refine them in CAD then break them down into laser cut parts

this is the windlass
the center ratchet is cut fron 1/8 material the side pieces are 1/16 material the barrel itself is made up of 1/16 thick strips that are beveled and glued around the two 8 sided pieces. I came up with this a few years ago when i built the General Hunter and it worked out just fine so i did it here.

WINDLASS.JPG

this is a design as you build and often the process evolves by taking a step forward and two steps backwards.

The laser parts arrived today so it is time to see if the hull design works. Right off i will say the laser cutting is very clean and looks good. The keel profile and builkeads are plywood and the rest of the parts are Basswood.

BL1.jpg

dealing with tabs in this case of a prototype set you will need a scroll saw or table top bandsaw. The tabs are down in the slots and difficult to get to.

tabs3.jpg

you can not just break the piece from the sheet because it is locked in place at 3 points

tabs2.jpg

what would be better is if there were small tabs out on the sides, this way all you have to do is twist the bulkhead top to bottom and snap off the tabs. A rough break is ok because you will have to sand the hull anyway

tabs1.jpg

i am starting the hull at the center and work my way to the bow and stern. I first checked the fit in the slots and there seems to be a little wiggle room and you can move the bulkhead from front to back.

bulkheads1.jpg

You want the bulkheads square to the keel profile piece so find something square around the house

like a CD box

bulkheads2.jpg

or a book

bulkheads3.jpg

or an actual square

bulkheads4.jpg

a square piece of wood will do

bulkheads5.jpg
a level thats square

bulkheads6.jpg

even a cardboard box

bulkheads7.jpg

as i said one step forward and one step back

when i started to assemble the bulkheads on to the profile piece information was lost between the designer (me) and the laser cutter. i designed for 1/4 inch thick plywood the laser cutter used 3/16 so the fit was a bit to loose in the slots. Back on track new bulkheads are in the works.

while that is going on some 3D modeling is in the works.

here is a rough figurehead without the finer details, hum a little to much up front maybe what do you all think?

figurehead_test7.jpgfigurehead_test6.jpgfigurehead_test5.pngfigurehead_test4.jpgfigurehead_test3.jpgfigurehead_test2.jpgfigurehead_test.jpg

update on the Sultana project

building progress on the model is moving along the problem is computers. I have 4 computers at my work station and 3 out of 4 are down. The only one working is the lap top i use to go on line with. Computer #2 is old 32 bit Windows 7 systerm running old programs that you install from a CD it has gone through 3 rebuilds and been running for 12 years. something went wrong so it is in the shop for rebuild #4, Computer #3 has newer vessions of programs that you have to be on line to use, video problems so it is in the shop, Computer #4 is just a backup it got the blue screen of the death crash so it also went to the shop to be used as parts if it can not be revived.
i love and hate computers!

Computer #2 is old 32 bit Windows 7 systerm running old programs that you install from a CD it has gone through 3 rebuilds and been running for 12 years. something went wrong
...this something... is age. It is 12 years old, dude! The hardware is mostly tired, and BTW, Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft.
Good tools are the key to success, sometimes, people wonder why to buy that expensive tablesaw when they can get a cheaper one. Quality and lifetime use are the key factors.
For your business, a good computer is a tool! Modern processors can do the CAD job a hundred times faster than your edged one. Also, a 64-bit Operating system can support much more RAM compared to your existing PC. New modern hardware supports new modern technology, It is like you riding a horse, while others cruising Teslas, and all of a sudden you lose a horseshoe so looking for a stable :p BTW, nothing wrong to ride the horse.

It is time for an investment upgrade, dude!! :cool:

work station #3 is a newer 64 bit windows 10 system. custom built to the max and the video goes out so fix it no need to junk the entire system.

i would have to take out a second morgage on my house to afford the monthly fees to up grade all the CAD, 3D modeling and imaging processing programs i use.

CAD 2004 is good enough to do everything i need to do Photoshop7 does a fine job no need to up grade it

i kind of like the old way when you purchase software on a CD and you own it and not have to pay every month to use it. so that is why i keep system #2 running and rebuilding it. Don't need microsofts support for windowns 7 the systen is a stand alone and runs just fine

I use a old 64 bit windows 7 system, 12 years old and CAD 2017 works fine on it, also photoshop 2020 works perfect. Windows 7 is very stable. They don't support it anymore. So a good firewall and virusscanner is necessary.

I use a old 64 bit windows 7 system, 12 years old and CAD 2017 works fine on it, also photoshop 2020 works perfect. Windows 7 is very stable. They don't support it anymore. So a good firewall and virusscanner is necessary.
work station #2 with windows 7 is off line. in the past i use to have it on line and i ended up getting viruses so now it is not on line and has been stable for years.

Windows 7 is very stable.
Really, I always have had problems with drivers and BSOD. Over time, it accumulates (whatever you called) and it becomes slow and unresponsive until you will rebuild it. But this is my IT experience (over 25 years, and still). :cool:

Sorry Dave for the off-top.

when i bought the Dell years ago i got a set of windows 7 CDs with the computer so when it does over time get itself messed up i can reinstall windows and because i have all the program CDs i just install them.
As long as i keep using the same windows 7 CDs and all the same program CDs everything starts from scratch and it is like new again. When the hardware goes bad like a mother board, video card, or something else then yup it has to be rebuilt.

i still have one system 16 bit windows 98 still running it is used for the 17 inch plotter because for some reason the plotter is so old nothing else will reconize it.

no problem being off topic because the Sultana build log is on hold.

Last edited:
Back