Columbus ships, Santa Maria and Pinta, kit by Amati... [COMPLETED BUILD]

After a night in the water bath and another day in the frame to make a correct shape, i had the capping ready for mounting. It took a bit of work to keep it in the position even after it was bended correctly. Combination of a carpenter' glue and CA did the job. The capping did not fit perfectly so i have added another 1x1mm plank underneath of capping overlap to cover some imperfections.

1400.jpg

1401.jpg

1402.jpg

1404.jpg

Some scrapping and sanding will be needed to close some gaps..

Beams 3x5mm are cut to the length (actually a bit longer than needed) and reinforcements on capping were also cut and shaped.

1405.jpg

Testing...

1406.jpg

Few beams were glued..

1407.jpg

Did not put all beams since i still need to cut the gun openings.. The blue painter' tape was put on the hull to protect planking from damaging, potentially occurring with every drilling..

Then i connected led lights and tested..

1408.jpg

These two will be mounted in the gun area, are steady lights, not flickering type.. The two lights at the bow are still working...

1409.jpg

The upper deck was next. Somehow i was under impression that i lost deck that come with the kit so ended up cutting it from the plan and planked that way.

1410.jpg

The back side of the paper received a center line to line up planking as i was planning to use the original plan side in assisting with cutting the opening and hole for the yard.. The dark brown crayola was used to simulate plank caulking...

1411.jpg

1412.jpg

1413.jpg

Some scrapping was also done on the completed deck..

1415.jpg

The opening was cut...

1416.jpg

Then the magic moment appears to me; i located the missing deck(s). It was in the box, hidden. As it was in two peaces, i did not pay to much attention just to realize that it actually was the deck, just has to be glued together... Anyhow, the deck was glued on the back of the paper, matching the opening...

1417.jpg

Testing on the ship...

1419.jpg

Happy modelling..

1418.jpg

Last edited:
After a night in the water bath and another day in the frame to make a correct shape, i had the capping ready for mounting. It took a bit of work to keep it in the position even after it was bended correctly. Combination of a carpenter' glue and CA did the job. The capping did not fit perfectly so i have added another 1x1mm plank underneath of capping overlap to cover some imperfections.

View attachment 320125

View attachment 320124

View attachment 320123

View attachment 320122

Some scrapping and sanding will be needed to close some gaps..

Beams 3x5mm are cut to the length (actually a bit longer than needed) and reinforcements on capping were also cut and shaped.

View attachment 320121

Testing...

View attachment 320120

Few beams were glued..

View attachment 320119

Did not put all beams since i still need to cut the gun openings.. The blue painter' tape was put on the hull to protect planking from damaging, potentially occurring with every drilling..

Then i connected led lights and tested..

View attachment 320118

These two will be mounted in the gun area, are steady lights, not flickering type.. The two lights at the bow are still working...

View attachment 320117

The upper deck was next. Somehow i was under impression that i lost deck that come with the kit so ended up cutting it from the plan and planked that way.

View attachment 320116

The back side of the paper received a center line to line up planking as i was planning to use the original plan side in assisting with cutting the opening and hole for the yard.. The dark brown crayola was used to simulate plank caulking...

View attachment 320115

View attachment 320114

View attachment 320113

Some scrapping was also done on the completed deck..

View attachment 320112

The opening was cut...

View attachment 320111

Then the magic moment appears to me; i located the missing deck(s). It was in the box, hidden. As it was in two peaces, i did not pay to much attention just to realize that it actually was the deck, just has to be glued together... Anyhow, the deck was glued on the back of the paper, matching the opening...

View attachment 320109

Testing on the ship...

View attachment 320108

Happy modelling..

View attachment 320110
Good morning. You are owning this! Nice. Cheers Grant

Starting to plank the master' chamber using cheery planks i have ordered online.

Making sure it is aligned...

1450.jpg

1451.jpg

1452.jpg

Signor Christoforo dropped by to see what is going on with his ship...

1453.jpg

Inside windows is protected by the wired mesh...most likely simulating the real protection..

1454.jpg

A bit of a moulding around the window..

1455.jpg

1456.jpg

Needed to cut an opening for doors since i will be positioning lights inside of Christopher' chamber.

1457.jpg

Testing the fitting... the walls will be mounted under small angle so need to sand that as well..

1458.jpg

Cutting the opening for guns. I dont trust the drill bits this time so did it manually, using different size round files.

1459.jpg

Started to build the gun cart... kit comes with cart but they dont look too nice for my taste..

1460.jpg

1461.jpg

1463.jpg

1464.jpg

1465.jpg

1467.jpg

1468.jpg

Still dont like how they ended up and being a bit too picky, started with a new set of gun carts..

1470.jpg

Using one master side, i sanded few sides at once..

1471.jpg

Comparing kit with custom made..

1472.jpg

Testing the fitment.

1473.jpg

1474.jpg

Happy modelling.

Starting to plank the master' chamber using cheery planks i have ordered online.

Making sure it is aligned...

View attachment 321463

View attachment 321462

View attachment 321461

Signor Christoforo dropped by to see what is going on with his ship...

View attachment 321460

Inside windows is protected by the wired mesh...most likely simulating the real protection..

View attachment 321459

A bit of a moulding around the window..

View attachment 321458

View attachment 321457

Needed to cut an opening for doors since i will be positioning lights inside of Christopher' chamber.

View attachment 321456

Testing the fitting... the walls will be mounted under small angle so need to sand that as well..

View attachment 321455

Cutting the opening for guns. I dont trust the drill bits this time so did it manually, using different size round files.

View attachment 321454

Started to build the gun cart... kit comes with cart but they dont look too nice for my taste..

View attachment 321453

View attachment 321452

View attachment 321450

View attachment 321449

View attachment 321448

View attachment 321446

View attachment 321445

Still dont like how they ended up and being a bit too picky, started with a new set of gun carts..

View attachment 321443

Using one master side, i sanded few sides at once..

View attachment 321442

Comparing kit with custom made..

View attachment 321441

Testing the fitment.

View attachment 321440

View attachment 321439

Happy modelling.
Good morning. I think Signor Christoforo is petty ecstatic with the progress. Cheers Grant

I was not quite busy with the model lately, but was working on some model shop improvements and cleanup which will eventually have an impact on model(s) itself...

What I find out is that every time I use a my proxxon rotary tool, I always run out of flexishaft cable length so I made kind of an extension (like go go gadget arm)
for my Proxxon drill and basically anything that can hang of that little white hook, Dremel, etc... Now I need to make some holder for flexishaft itself..

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4891.jpg

IMG_4892.jpg

IMG_48.jpg

For wall hanging solution, I went with French cleats since I already have same cleats mounted in my "real" workshop and will need to be able to easily move the "arm" to another working room.. Also, baskets on the wall are mounted with French cleats so if I need to move them around, it will be as easy as slide them left or right...

Now, I don't have anymore excuses not to continue work on Santa Maria...

Happy modelling..

Continue my work by making hooks that will be used to secure guns to carriage... 2mm wire diameter, hooks are made and soldered. After that, they were placed in brass black bath for 20 sec and washed in clear water.

SantaMaria10.jpg

SantaMaria8.jpg

The holes were drilled in carriages, and first time, using my newly built go-go-gagdet-go arm... Works perfectly..

SantaMaria000.jpg

The hooks were inserted and extra wire length was cut on the bottom; then a drop of CA was put to make sure hooks don't fell out..

SantaMaria5.jpg

SantaMaria7.jpg

ready for a rope..

SantaMaria6.jpg

SantaMaria3.jpg

On the deck, looking very mighty for that time...

SantaMaria4.jpg

Work on the deck continue by making a Columbus' cabin, I am guessing...

SantaMaria2.jpg

Even dough this will not be much visible area, I decided to add some furniture items and lights... For now still in construction phase of cabin itself..

SantaMaria1.jpg

Happy modelling..

Work on the hull continue by adding one of few wales, decided to go with the top one which would allow me to correctly measure position for other wales.
Two wales were positioned on the hull; I have used combo of CA and carpenter' to keep them on quickly..

SantaMaria12.jpg

Some work still need to be done around the hull, so that is why it looks a bit un-done.

SantaMAria13.jpg

SantaMaria14.jpg

SantaMAria15.jpg

The beauty of this kit is that no many plans and accurate diagrams of Columbus' fleet exists, leaving some room for artistic side of modeller to add some details from ships in the same or closeby era. Instead of using kit provided gun carriages, I built my own but decided to and start adding more details in order to hook carriages to the ship more accurately than just gluing to the deck.

SantaMaria11.jpg

Happy modelling..

Decided to reposition the light cables and to hide them a bit better since the hull is opened in that area.

SantaMAria16.jpg

Few spare planks were glued to the paper and to each other, the whole assembly was scraped and lightly sanded, cut in the size and attached to the hull.

SantaMAria17.jpg

The excess of a top plank was sanded to follow the curve of the bulwarks and glued to the hull. Before that the cables were positioned and glued to the hull. Led lights will be sticking a bit; not sure if I will be leaving it as on the picture or will do bit more "hiding".

SantaMAria18.jpg

In the mean time, continue work on the hull by making openings on the deck for water drainage. I also added a bit of a moulding around them on the outer hull, not most likely historically accurate but in my opinion, a neat detail. Will also be replacing kit provided gun ornaments so this might match it nicely at the end.

SantaMAria19.jpg

SantaMAria20.jpg

After sanding and cleaning..

SantaMAria21.jpg

Happy modelling.

Last edited:
Out of cherry, I made replacements for ornaments ..

SantaMAria22.jpg

Cut with a mini saw.. with 1.5mm thickness, more that is needed.

Before sanding them, I put a drop of CA on the back of each ornament, on the side that will be glued to the hull. This should help protect the rings from breaking during sanding even dough cherry supposed to be strong enough wood to withstand sanding..

SantaMAria23.jpg

I used some old sanding disk on the piece of ceramic tile to sand the rings.

SantaMAria24.jpg

SantaMAria25.jpg

Glued to the hull. Also I decided to sand them a bit more as they were too tick comparing to the kit provided ornament. Once glued to the hull I used Proxxon on my go-go-gadget-hand-go to sand them more. Before that I protected the hull around rings with a blue painter' tape..

SantaMAria26.jpg

Comparing with a metal ornaments... I think after a layer of protective oil, they will look more appealing then original ornaments.

SantaMAria27.jpg

Cleaning up interior with a round file...

SantaMAria28.jpg

Happy modelling..

Kit provided rudder and other parts are fairly decent but they are very fragile. As a result of that is a one broken part. I was wanted to replace those regardless and this incident just speed the process up.

SantaMAria29.jpg

From some cherry wood I have, I cut few parts and transferred rudder and backstays.

SantaMAria30.jpg

After cutting it, quick testing was done.

SantaMAria31.jpg

After sanding, it looks much nicer and more realistic.

SantaMAria32.jpg

Happy modelling,

Making a new tiller out of piece of cherry wood.. by transferring the tiller from the kit plan.

SantaMAria33.jpg

SantaMAria34.jpg

Start cutting/carving

SantaMAria35.jpg

SantaMAria36.jpg

SantaMAria37.jpg

Sanding...
SantaMAria38.jpg

Testing it on the ship..

SantaMAria39.jpg

SantaMAria40.jpg

SantaMAria41.jpg

Tung oil layer...

SantaMAria42.jpg

For rudder as well..

SantaMAria43.jpg

Interesting how it brings up a beauty of a cherry wood..

Backstays from the kit don't quite fit nicely on the hull...

SantaMAria48.jpg

Now sure who will be peaking from the bottom to check the fitting but I know, I will for sure.. so lets replace those as well.. Used paper template to follow the hull curvature..

SantaMAria49.jpg

Transfer it to the wood and sanded a bit.

SantaMAria50.jpg

Now it is time to match the openings

SantaMAria44.jpg

SantaMAria45.jpg

SantaMAria46.jpg

Backstays cut, sanded and filed, drying with a layer of tung oil..

SantaMAria47.jpg

Happy modelling..

Since I managed to put some non-repair damage to the keel, decision was to place one layer of veneer in attempt to cover the "booboo". First I cleaned up the bow area and in the starboard put some filler to cover few imperfections...

SantaMAria51jpg.jpg

For that I used a carpenter' glue and some sand dust I collected while cutting few cherry wood planks. This is very tiny dust which I am keeping for situations like this.

SantaMAria58.jpg

Gluing and filling...

SantaMAria52.jpg

SantaMAria53.jpg

Tracing the hull curvature to the paper... it will be used to cut the veneer..

SantaMAria54.jpg

The veneer was hardened with some painter' tape to make the cuts easier and safer (for veneer). Transferred to the ship hull for fitting testing...

SantaMAria55.jpg

Gluing and securing with binder clamps..

SantaMAria56.jpg

SantaMAria57.jpg

While this is drying, I decided to make few hooks/leyebolts, actually 12 so I can secure the guns to the ship. Plan does not ask for such detailed approach but I wasn't happy leaving guns just glued to the deck. So approach is to secure guns in following manner:

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 20.43.48.png

For that, I made 20 eyebolts that will be inserted into the ship hull. First I made them out of 4mm brass wire...

SantaMAria59.jpg

Good tools are aways very helpful, specifically in this case when I need to make some number of eyes..

SantaMAria60.jpg

Soldering is next, first the eye was closed with pliers and flattened making sure it is not flattened to much so it does not loose the shape.

SantaMAria61.jpg

I cut very small amount of solder wire, and squeeze it with pliers to get a biscuit, which was cut in half for the eye of this size. No need for more solder and half biscuit was placed on the eye..

SantaMAria62.jpg

Small amount of open flame to melt the solder..

SantaMAria63.jpg

And completed.

SantaMAria65.jpg

A bit of a mass production, actually mass "flaming"...

SantaMAria66.jpg

Completed eyebolts were cleaned (degreased) and painted in flat black.

SantaMAria67.jpg

Next, they will go to the hull..

Happy modelling..

Protecting the deck while drilling holes for hooks..

SantaMAria68.jpg

Hooks mounted and secured with tiny drop of CA glue.

SantaMAria69.jpg

Next, continue work on the hull by marking the position of wales and hull fenders. Since the wales will be twisted a bit while positioned on the hull, I decided to secure their position with nails; nails head will be cut and flattened. In order to hide nails, I also marked position for hull fenders which will hide the nails. I have not decided what to use and/or to simulate the planking/wale nails.

SantaMAria70.jpg

The hull fenders' position is marked with vertical lines which indicates the right end of the fender. The distance between fenders was taken from the kit plan.

SantaMAria71.jpg

First wale installed. I used combo of CA, yellow glue and nails to keep it in place. Also, the wale was left in water bath for 30 min to allow easier lateral bending.

SantaMAria72.jpg

SantaMAria73.jpg

SantaMAria74.jpg

SantaMAria75.jpg

Now it is time to clean the excess glue around wales and to run one more layer of oil....was a bit worried how this will end up because while removing excels glue, I also slightly scraped the hull but all turned out OK, no issues.

SantaMAria76.jpg

Then I started to work on "forecastle deck" which is a google translation for Italian term "ponte castello di prua". This deck was already built, I just wanted to add additional layer of veneer to cover a plain plywood surface, visible from the bellow.

SantaMAria77.jpg

SantaMAria78.jpg

Scrapped and sanded, ready for mounting..

SantaMAria79.jpg

Happy modelling..

Back