Contradictions

Why is it that if we are making a real scarf joint we try and make it as close and tight as possible but when we fake one with a knife blade we accentuate it with a lead pencil? :) :) :)
Hello, Don. The 'fake' or simulated scarf will make the joints a bit deeper with the use of a pencil. In fact, not everyone uses a pencil as this technique. If you cut deep enough, you can emphasize them with bitumen patina or just oil.

Why is it that if we are making a real scarf joint we try and make it as close and tight as possible but when we fake one with a knife blade we accentuate it with a lead pencil? :) :) :)
making a real scarf joint

I think also we have to distinguish where these joints are !?!
When I take a look at your other question related to carlings and ledges - here I (personally) would never accentuate the joint of the notch

I'm doing the lower deck spirketting. It has a big bend at the bow and a smaller bend at the stern. I find long pieces easier to bend so I'm doing it in two pieces with a hooked scarf in the middle. I thought it would be easier to fake the rest of the joints but the fake ones turn out so much nicer than the real ones it makes the real ones look worse. I may have to "crummy up" the fake ones:)

As it turned out the real ones were almost invisible(I got lucky). When I did the fake ones they stood out like a sore thumb so I had to "crummy up" the real ones. Now they're all to dark. Oh well :)

I'm doing the lower deck spirketting. It has a big bend at the bow and a smaller bend at the stern. I find long pieces easier to bend so I'm doing it in two pieces with a hooked scarf in the middle. I thought it would be easier to fake the rest of the joints but the fake ones turn out so much nicer than the real ones it makes the real ones look worse. I may have to "crummy up" the fake ones:)
Nice problem to have!!

Back