Convert from Imperial to Metric

When it is pure for the calculation from Imperial to Metric, then I use this site with many kinds of calculation tables.
In this example also vice-versa and a lot of others:

With a few examples for setting or what you can enter, with print-screens when using it on my iPhone:
You can select the value of input:
Select From.jpg

And the value of outcome:
Select To.jpg

You can also enter decimal fractions:
Input 15-64.jpg
After typing the input, hit the button [= Convert]
And with an integer in front of it:
Input 2 3-16.jpg
with this outcome:
Outcome 2+3-16.jpg

For vice-versa, this is a nice one, changing the values as show in the first 2 pictures:
mm-Inch.jpg
With the outcome in dec. and frac.

Hopefully it is useful form some of yours.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
The funny thing about having done my apprenticeship in a trade that used imperial, but then spent my working life proper only using metric, is that I visualise in feet and inches but measure in mm.

I share the same problem. Uni course in mid-60's in imperial, on site doing accurate surveying (7 figure log standard) in imperial, then worked in metric from mid-70s, but still think in feet & inches, pounds stones ounces & cwt. Although all trading and professions work in metric we still only have miles on road signs. What an oddball country we live in!

I share the same problem. Uni course in mid-60's in imperial, on site doing accurate surveying (7 figure log standard) in imperial, then worked in metric from mid-70s, but still think in feet & inches, pounds stones ounces & cwt. Although all trading and professions work in metric we still only have miles on road signs. What an oddball country we live in!
More oddball than us Yanks and our mix of predominantly imperial with some metric tossed in?

Somewhere back in the sands of time, my brain locked onto and retained "2.54 centimeters to the inch". I've found that to be the key to doing the conversions myself, albeit with a calculator. Unfortunately, I didn't burn in the base conversion ratios for weight or volume.

Happy with my Iphone, convert everything I want.
Hi ‘Alskabear’. Does it tell you what 0.0833” is in a fraction? Or what 2.11 mm is in a inch-franction?
Regards, Peter
I use my vernier calipers switching between imp. & metric - always to hand.
That’s correct, Stuart. Most of them does and it is in decimals. But does it tell you how much a fraction such as 3/16” of 13/64” is in mm?

That was our point: those fraction.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hi ‘Alskabear’. Does it tell you what 0.0833” is in a fraction? Or what 2.11 mm is in a inch-franction?
Regards, Peter

That’s correct, Stuart. Most of them does and it is in decimals. But does it tell you how much a fraction such as 3/16” of 13/64” is in mm?

That was our point: those fraction.
Regards, Peter
Hi Peter, to answer both, (1) set vernier to 0.0833" then switch to metric & voila you have instant conversion - for 2.11mm it's the reverse.
(2) For fractions that are not implanted in my brain, I pick up my 0-1" micrometer & read off the printed data on it's frame.

Regards Stuart

Is there no app to convince every body who uses Imperial will finally switch to metric 8-) .

Maybe it will end up that in the UK they start driving on the right side :-) .

No just joking, wait untill you start building a 17th century ship, every single larger town had its own system in sizes. For instances Amsterdam foot measuring 0,2831 mm with 11 inches (duimen / thumbs) in one foot.

Thx to Napoleon there is now a metric system.

Hi Peter, to answer both, (1) set vernier to 0.0833" then switch to metric & voila you have instant conversion - for 2.11mm it's the reverse.
That’s not the answer on the fraction (*/*) question.;)
(2) For fractions that are not implanted in my brain, I pick up my 0-1" micrometer & read off the printed data on it's frame.
If the drawing makers also think and do that way, we no longer have a problem.:)

But perhaps it’s for ‘Imperial’s’ difficult to understand the ‘Metric’s’. ;) Stop with the fraction (*/*) and use metric-inches.ROTF
Regards, Peter

Is there no app to convince every body who uses Imperial will finally switch to metric :cool: .

Maybe it will end up that in the UK they start driving on the right side :) .

No just joking, wait untill you start building a 17th century ship, every single larger town had its own system in sizes. For instances Amsterdam foot measuring 0,2831 mm with 11 inches (duimen / thumbs) in one foot.

Thx to Napoleon there is now a metric system.
Some already try driving on the right - but they don't get very far!!:oops:

Simpletol.com Unit converter If you're looking for a reliable unit converter, SimpleToL.com Unit Converter stands out because of its straightforward interface and comprehensive range of conversions. It's designed for users who want fast, accurate results without unnecessary complexity. Unlike other converters, which might be cluttered or limited, this tool focuses on ease of use and efficiency

I used to own a furniture company in the UK. Around 40 years ago a French company asked me to design some furniture and send them samples. So - as the UK were metricating and this was a French company I did everything using the metric system. The French customer got back to me and asked 'why is this scaled in metric units, we use feet and inches!'. Then I discovered that French cabinetmakers (ebenistes) had never metricated at the time of the revolution, but were deliberate hold-outs against Napoleon-imposed measurement systems.

Back