Converting the Revell SS Brasil to a 1990's cruise ship

The kit that I acquired of the SS Brasil ended up with several major pieces missing after I inventoried what came in the box. At first I was a bit angry and figured it would end up on the junk heap of unfinished projects I have started. But now that I have had time to think about it I think I will take a shot at kitbashing it into a purely fantasy generic cruise ship using some sheet styrene I bought. I will remove the crane winches and bases fore and aft, fashion a new dummy funnel top and make a few other changes that will make it look typical for that time period. I won't be adding the extra decks that were installed on the Brasil and Argentina but, to me, they made the ships look top heavy anyway. I think I will paint the hull black and the decks a medium grey. I need to scrounge a couple of launches that are typical of cruise ships and a few other items to replace some of the missing parts. If anyone has or knows where I can find a partial kit of the Brasil please let me know where to look. Once I get started I will start a build log and post images as I proceed.

On occasion the Revell Brazil and Argentina show up as part of "Lots" on eBay. You have to know what to look for as the models are usually not named in the listing, only photo's. Hopefully no one else notices these old Revell kits so you can get' one for a reasonable price. If you are looking at "Plastic Boat & Ship models" or "Military Sea vehicles", just type Lots.
I will stay tuned. Hope you fine some acceptable launches. I always figured the SS Brazil was around 1/420 scale.

Nino

Back