copper plating

Could some one please direct me to a basic tutorial for copper plating. I've literally spent hours researching this here, on youtube and MSW. There really seems to be no one rule of thumb. ANY guidance. would be greatly appreciated!!!... many thanks, Ken Working on the Mamoli 1/90, needless to say, instructions suck. Do you start at the stern bottom and work up, or waterline and work down..... or a combination of both. Ken

Hi. I am also building Mamoli 1/90 . Would you please tell why you need guidence for copper plating and what parts you want to copper plate.

Mamoli Victory 1/90....sorry,,, starting working on this about 12 hrs ago today..... long day and made no headway....o_O

HI YT... been following your Mamoli and studying it quite a bit. I drew the waterline just fine.... when beginning your plates, I noticed you started a few a t the bottom then the top..... did you run a full score around the water line or taper....Couldn't quite tell. After that how many scores or rows until you have to start tapering

Also been redoing the lower transom boards that run horizontally below the windows. Redone those about 3 times now.... I'll get it eventually.

If you are overlapping the plates you have to start ster and bottom, if you are not overlapping them, you can start bottom doesn't have to be stern

If you have a look at the latest pictures on my Trinidad build log you can see that I started bottom middle, but only because I'm not overlapping the plates

Here is a how to link on copper plating from Navy Board Models. by Gene Bodnar
My advise is set down one side of the plate with your left hand and have tweezers of a kind that wont damage the plate to line up the right before pressing it in. It will go faster and easier. I used a shaped piece of balsa to burnish the plates after I covered a small section.

I'm just about to start to copper plate the bottom of my Billings HMS Victory and have been doing a lot of research into the subject; can anyone tell me which is the best way? I have bought some individual copper plates and have bought some copper tape as described by Gene Bodnar in his post on NBM. I want to get this right as my next project is HMS Fly and I'd like to copper plate the hull of that also.

i don't think there's a definetive answer to what is the best way

if you want to be more specific on particular question, i'm many people is wiling to share their experience, but a full on "this is the best way" is a bit harder

A great tutorial can be found at:
vk.ru/minishipyard
The video will be on the first page you get part way down. Watch this Russian modeler apply plating. They use brass plates rather than copper. I wish I'd seen this before I did my current model. I overlapped the plating as we're told to do. Unfortunately the plates I used from BJ are wildly out of scale (thickness) when you overlap plates. Gives a shingle roof appearance.

Last edited:
I copperhead my Victory with copper strips. The copper strips come in rolls and are available at Stained Glass supply stores. I measured a strip length, then in scale scribed lines in scale to represent the plates then on each scribed plate indented very small dents at each end of each simulated plate to represent the plate fasteners. When done take the paper covering off the copper strip to expose the sticky side, then carefully apply the strip starting at the water line. Keep doing this until you reach the keel. When hull doe do the keel.

Back