Copper rivets and roves

Bonjour tout le monde,

I'm far from building the magnifique tall ships that most of you are building here. My choice goes more to small boats at big scale.
I'm looking for a solution to make copper rivets and roves for 1/10e to 1/6e scale models of dinghies.
Does somebody get an idea? a technical solution? a shop?
I'm not looking for a tip to make "look like" rivets, but small rivets able to fill their role to assemble pieces of wood without glue.

Merci d'avance for your ideas and tips,

Bob

At least here you can find small copper rivets. I am not sure if they can be used to join wood with wood:

Bob, click on 'Natterer' below and look for the section where I start riveting exactly as you are looking for. Her scale is 1/4.5. Big!

Ted

Bonjour tout le monde,

I'm far from building the magnifique tall ships that most of you are building here. My choice goes more to small boats at big scale.
I'm looking for a solution to make copper rivets and roves for 1/10e to 1/6e scale models of dinghies.
I'm not looking for a tip to make "look like" rivets, but small rivets able to fill their role to assemble pieces of wood without glue.

Bob
I have made effective rivets using fine brass nails (Amitai) and copper tape.
1. Find the diameter of the nail and make drill holes in the copper spacing them out.
2. Establish the dia. of the rove and find the equivalent size of drill.
Find a piece of steel and drill a hole with a pillar dill using a vise
3. Turn the drill upside down and make sure the hole in the steel is directly in line withe the drill. The drill end should be slightly rounded.
4. Place the copper tape with the small holes on the steel held in the vise.
5. Bring the drill end down on the copper tape with the small hole centred. Bring the drill end down firmly and punch the rove through.
For full explanation see Model Shipwright No 99
6. Good luck and best wishes

Bonjour à tous!
First, thank you for all these advises! I get a look on Ted's work, but not too many details on the technic you used Ted, and Donald, I'll be happy if you have an example of the result you obtained with this technic.
Ondras, I won't thank you! Looking at this video, now I'm thinking than perhaps I'm a little bit pretentious to want to be able to use rivets at this scale when you need one or two thousands of them for a boat....but I'm French....nobody's perfect! It's a pity (not to be French!) because I'd like to be able to build models without cheating with glue! Even if it's not exactly the good scale, I enjoy so much to realize my assemblies with a nail or a screw...
Whatever, thanks to Moxis and his Knupfer link! It seems that modelism stuff seems to be much more cheaper in some countries!
Initially, I was thinking to use brass nails and little slides of brass tube to make the roves (inside diameter equal to the nail diameter) but brass is too hard and ideally, I should at least find copper nails...1mm diameter....hummmm

Whatever, merci à tous!
Get safe!
Bob

Bonjour Gentlemen,

Finally, seems I'm not the only one (...hummm, to be sure not to upset anyone, let say "French"!) to be pretentious by looking for scaled copper nails! I found a French manufacturer, oui, oui! La Clouterie Rivière, an old traditional factory! so if they build some it should mean that there is customers for that, no?
These is the link to order, because I thought that perhaps, you would try to join wood without glue too.
Seems they have also brass nails in various size but I really don't know if the price is expensive or not.
Beside is the question of the roves but I think I'll try with slices of an adapted brass pipe...

It's too late for my actual work, but for the next one....
Encore Merci,
Get safe!
Bob

Bonjour Donald,

Magnifique travail! and this is the kind of scale I enjoy because you can do details which are functional...but in my case, I'm afraid it's also link to my incapability to work on too small things...perhaps with some training....when I get time....retired....

Whatever, may I ask you some details on the technique you used to make this rivets and roves? Did you "punched" them with a ball hammer and contre-poids or with an adapted pliers?

Merci d'avance for your advises!

Bob

Bonjour Donald,

Magnifique travail! and this is the kind of scale I enjoy because you can do details which are functional...but in my case, I'm afraid it's also link to my incapability to work on too small things...perhaps with some training....when I get time....retired....

Whatever, may I ask you some details on the technique you used to make this rivets and roves? Did you "punched" them with a ball hammer and contre-poids or with an adapted pliers?

Merci d'avance for your advises!

Bob
Hello Bob
Here are a few pages from a article I wrote some time ago. I hope it is of help. Best wishes with your model making.

Donald

Attachments

• 2A15A281-2DAA-476B-95BA-DEBCA46C0134.jpeg
    2A15A281-2DAA-476B-95BA-DEBCA46C0134.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 9D7A5E2C-A06E-4399-9AE2-1EDD7249ED5F.jpeg
    9D7A5E2C-A06E-4399-9AE2-1EDD7249ED5F.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 17
Hi Donald!
One more Jedi Master! An article in the mythic Model Shipwright Magazine...."Mazette!" as we say here admiringly!
The drill press is a practical solution like the thimble!
Thank you for sharing!

May the Force be with you!
Bob

Bonjour tout le monde,

Bob
Hallo Bob alias @boblag
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back