Coral WASA...need advice

I have just started this new Coral WASA kit...and have already identified a problem and would like some advice before I start glueing! I was going through the kit and laying out the pieces to ensure they were identified correctly and I noticed the keel is approx 3/4" smaller than on the 1:1 plans... the main frames were all correct (see photo)... Should I be concerned? Is this going to cause further issues as I move on with the build?

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpeg
    IMG_0204.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0207.jpeg
    IMG_0207.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 13
I have just started this new Coral WASA kit...and have already identified a problem and would like some advice before I start glueing! I was going through the kit and laying out the pieces to ensure they were identified correctly and I noticed the keel is approx 3/4" smaller than on the 1:1 plans... the main frames were all correct (see photo)... Should I be concerned? Is this going to cause further issues as I move on with the build?
Hallo @Eyedent
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How did the problem with the wrong length of the center part ended?
Sorry for not replying earlier on this problem

That's a tough one. Kit plans are frequently wrong in small details, but to get the keel length that far off poses a real design problem. I have a potential solution. Take a look at how the bulkhead slots line up with the drawing. Line up the front slot with the drawing. If the slots get increasingly out of position as you move aft, then the problem is that the drawing is not 1:1 with the model, and was enlarged slightly when printed. The proportions of the features on the drawing are correct, but the drawing may now be 1.05:1 instead of 1:1. A possible fix is to go to an office copy store and make a copy of the drawing at 99.5% and see if that matches the parts. Or, you will have to adjust your measurements off the drawing as you build. I would tend to trust the shape of the parts over that of the drawings.

Also, check out the link below for md1400cs's Corel Wasa build. It is a modified build of your model which is absolutely fantastic in detail. Contact md1400cs for advice on your build, since he has paved the way before you. He has added many extra details you may want to use in your model. There may be several corrections involved, based on the real ship in Sweden at Wasa Museet:

md1400cs Wasa

I drool every time I look at this...
1658477286350.png

Last edited:
Thank you David... I went ahead and started my build... It is no where near that of md 1400cs' wasa.... but I am happy with what I have been able to achieve with my skill level...Here is what I have completed to date...Not perfect but still happy with it...and please keep in mind that I have built it as the kit...very few modifications....

IMG_0678.jpeg

Hallo @Eyedent
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back