Corel Flying Fish

I'm in the middle of building the Corel Flying Fish. I'm starting to install the deck furnishings and can't seem to figure out what this part is for. The highly concise (sarcastically intended) Corel directions and drawings do not show or reference what this is or where it installs. Thanks for any assistance in identifying.Unknown part.jpg

I'm in the middle of building the Corel Flying Fish. I'm starting to install the deck furnishings and can't seem to figure out what this part is for. The highly concise (sarcastically intended) Corel directions and drawings do not show or reference what this is or where it installs. Thanks for any assistance in identifying.View attachment 204209
G'day mate, there should be two of them, one should have a green light in it and the other a red light light, they go on each side of the ship, you might also have some ones to go up on the mast if there is one they will be clear lights, they are used to show other ships which way you are going, hope this helps,
sendbinary.asp.jpg
this is a pic of the where they go just above the X, this is obviously the starboard side one an d it should be green,

best regards John.

Last edited:
Hello, Dslongman!

The part you showed is one of the navigation lights. Consider the 2 mounting holes, it is a port-side navigation light (mounted on the left, and it should be Red. The Green navigation light always mounted on the starboard side.

Hi dsgoldman1!

I did not like the brass version and it was replicated from wood.

SANY1033.JPG
Navigation light starboard.

SANY1034.JPG
Navigation light port side.

In the lamp housing is a painted wooden rod as a glass imitation. The navigation lights are attached to the shrouds with thin thread and the holes are sealed with wood kit. Thus, the attachement is almost invisible.

With best regards
Thomas

I'm in the middle of building the Corel Flying Fish. I'm starting to install the deck furnishings and can't seem to figure out what this part is for. The highly concise (sarcastically intended) Corel directions and drawings do not show or reference what this is or where it installs. Thanks for any assistance in identifying.
Hallo @dsgoldman1
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on the Flying Fish going ?

Remember the old sailor's saying: " Red Right Return" which reminded them if they saw a red light on a ship on the right side as they could see it, they knew the ship was coming at them. (Airplanes too!)

Thanks for the birthday well wishes. Here's the progress on the Flying Fish...heading toward rigging
Hi dsgoldman, I built this 20 years ago and have lost the plans. I need to repair the rigging, could I ask if you would be prepared to photograph the rigging diagrams and forward to me? Would be much appreciated Regards Tony

Attachments

• Flying Fish.jpg
    Flying Fish.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 15
Many thanks Dale, please include the anchor rig too. Have you completed your model? Once I get this fixed I'll return to Corel's HMS Unicorn :) Regards
Tony

Tony,
Hopefully these are clear enough for you to use

Attachments

• 20210821_203101.jpg
    20210821_203101.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210821_203543.jpg
    20210821_203543.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210821_204335.jpg
    20210821_204335.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 7
Many thanks Dale, the resolution is fine, I now have to familiarise myself with the tools from he past :)
I now have a further month of Covid-19 lockdown so hope to complete during that time.
Thanks again
Tony

Now that I am well into the rigging of Corels Flying Fish, I still cannot for the life of me locate where the lower boom (196) goes on this build. Probably right in front of my eyes, just like the original post. Any thoughts

Tony Law, you survived this mess, where does the lower boom go?

Thanks
Dale

Attachments

• Lower boom 196 1.jpg
    Lower boom 196 1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2022.01.01 rigging progress.jpg
    2022.01.01 rigging progress.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 17
  • Plan 6.jpg
    Plan 6.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Plan 1.jpg
    Plan 1.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Lower boom 196 2.jpg
    Lower boom 196 2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 9
Now that I am well into the rigging of Corels Flying Fish, I still cannot for the life of me locate where the lower boom (196) goes on this build. Probably right in front of my eyes, just like the original post. Any thoughts

Tony Law, you survived this mess, where does the lower boom go?

Thanks
Dale
Hi Dale,
Happy New year! :)

Your build looks great!
I just looked all over my model and I cannot see that part anywhere. I ran though those I can see you have installed and compared to mine. They are exactly as I have mine, no extras! So either I didn't have that component or I couldn't find a place for it either, its too long ago! Suggest you proceed with the sails and you may find it that way but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I still haven't had the chance to make my repairs yet. Hopefully get to start it early February.

All the best
Tony

Hi Dale,
Happy New year! :)

Your build looks great!
I just looked all over my model and I cannot see that part anywhere. I ran though those I can see you have installed and compared to mine. They are exactly as I have mine, no extras! So either I didn't have that component or I couldn't find a place for it either, its too long ago! Suggest you proceed with the sails and you may find it that way but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I still haven't had the chance to make my repairs yet. Hopefully get to start it early February.

All the best
Tony
Tony,
Thanks for the timely response. I'm not surprised, I've had to weed my way through the poor Corel drawings and directions. So, its amazing I've gotten where I am. Not sure it's all correct, but hopefully close enough. I've pretty much got all the rigging lines in place, the rat lines are built, but not installed since they will be in the way of trying to install the sails. I'm debating whether to install the sails or not. We'll see

Happy new year
Regards
Dale

G'day mate, there should be two of them, one should have a green light in it and the other a red light light, they go on each side of the ship, you might also have some ones to go up on the mast if there is one they will be clear lights, they are used to show other ships which way you are going, hope this helps,
View attachment 204225
this is a pic of the where they go just above the X, this is obviously the starboard side one an d it should be green,

best regards John.
Green running light and boards to Starboard and red light and boards to Port.
Rich (PT-2)
Colors not to be confused with lights on bouys for entering and departing from a port in the channel.

Hi Dale!

The lower booms (196) can only be seen on the kit cover image.

SANY1584.JPG
I had mounted them once for this out of interest.

SANY1580.JPG
Upper end of a lower boom.

SANY1579.JPG
Hinge on the ship`s side.

SANY1582.JPG
Rope attachment at the bow. . .

SANY1583.JPG
. . . and amidship.

The function of the lower booms was once explained to me as follows: they are lowered and the Dories can dock on them without hitting the ship's side.

Best regards
Thomas

Back