Corel HMS Unicorn - 1/75 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Now I've finished the Black Pearl I'm going to complete a model I started around 25 years ago. The Unicorn was chosen because I felt it was the best ship in my price range at the time. This build stopped in 97 when we moved house then a new puppy, change of job and no time for models.

IMG_20211028_075223.jpg

IMG_20211028_073820.jpg
IMG_20211028_074227.jpg
IMG_20211028_074329.jpg
As you can see by the dust and cobwebs it's going to need a good clean up and there's a bit of fixing to be done.

Last edited:
Checking over the hull I can see some of the planks have come unstuck in places.IMG_20211028_073907.jpg
There is a bit of movement on the plank where it came unstuck, any suggestions on the best method to repair?

IMG_20211028_074118~2.jpg
These planks will be replaced they where not formed correctly and have come away away from the frames.

IMG_20211028_074721.jpg
These pedestals where highly polished is there any way to stop the tarnishing?

On the pedestals I would remove them from the base. Then I would do one of two options depending on what you have on hand. I'm assuming the are brass, please correct me if I'm wrong .

1. Use some metal polish and elbow grease to remove the tarnish and bring out the shine

Or
2. Use a Dremel type tool with a felt wheel and jeweler's rouge to shine it up

After they are shiny you can either coat them with a clear finish like varnish or lacquer or you can apply wax. The wax will require periodic reapplication but in my opinion looks better.

Hope this helps,
Glenn

Checking over the hull I can see some of the planks have come unstuck in places.View attachment 268033
There is a bit of movement on the plank where it came unstuck, any suggestions on the best method to repair?

View attachment 268034
These planks will be replaced they where not formed correctly and have come away away from the frames.

View attachment 268035
These pedestals where highly polished is there any way to stop the tarnishing?
Polish, clean with isopropyl and then spray with clear lacquer.

On the pedestals I would remove them from the base. Then I would do one of two options depending on what you have on hand. I'm assuming the are brass, please correct me if I'm wrong .

1. Use some metal polish and elbow grease to remove the tarnish and bring out the shine

Or
2. Use a Dremel type tool with a felt wheel and jeweler's rouge to shine it up

After they are shiny you can either coat them with a clear finish like varnish or lacquer or you can apply wax. The wax will require periodic reapplication but in my opinion looks better.

Hope this helps,
Glenn
Polish, clean with isopropyl and then spray with clear lacquer.
Thanks for the advice, these pedestals where polished brass and the tarnish built up over 25 years. I'll do some trails and post the results.

You were good at this even back then Tony. Pretty nice hull planking that largely held up to the vagaries of time...
This was my second attempt at planking I took a bit of time on it measured the ribs and divided it by the width of the planks if you look carefully you can find some stealer planks. The shape of the hull made it easier than the Pearl.

Thats a great kit to add additional scratch built fittings to it.
Hi Bryian I have considered making improvements and I will make some changes. I have read a number of reviews and am aware of the kits shortcomings and I'm not to worried about making a historically correct model. My main priority is to complete this model after so many years and hopefully improving my skills along the way.

Now I've finished the Black Pearl I'm going to complete a model I started around 25 years ago. The Unicorn was chosen because I felt it was the best ship in my price range at the time. This build stopped in 97 when we moved house then a new puppy, change of job and no time for models.

View attachment 268027

View attachment 268028
View attachment 268030
View attachment 268029
As you can see by the dust and cobwebs it's going to need a good clean up and there's a bit of fixing to be done.
good luck and most impirtant have fun with your new / old model

Tony with regards to those brass pedestals - let me make your day. Just get yourself a tube of Simichrome Polish and be amazed. This was advice given to me by the steamboat modelers and is widely used for the restoration of boilers. I used this on my 1930's Bowman Swallow and you cannot believe how good this stuff is. Unfortunately the before and after pics of my boiler is on my computer at work but I can get it tomorrow. In the meantime, this is what the Simichrome looks like.

微信图片_20211111000355.jpg

Use this stuff. It works. Consider a felt wheel on a Dremel or a buffing wheel on a grinder.
Tony with regards to those brass pedestals - let me make your day. Just get yourself a tube of Simichrome Polish and be amazed. This was advice given to me by the steamboat modelers and is widely used for the restoration of boilers. I used this on my 1930's Bowman Swallow and you cannot believe how good this stuff is. Unfortunately the before and after pics of my boiler is on my computer at work but I can get it tomorrow. In the meantime, this is what the Simichrome looks like.

View attachment 268770
Thanks for the tip the simichrome looks like an excellent product does it stop the tarnishing as well? Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available down under, I can order some online but with postage it comes in at around $40 and with Christmas coming delivery could take a while. I normally use Autosol metal polish which works well it's the tarnishing I need to work on.

Thanks for the tip the simichrome looks like an excellent product does it stop the tarnishing as well? Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available down under, I can order some online but with postage it comes in at around $40 and with Christmas coming delivery could take a while. I normally use Autosol metal polish which works well it's the tarnishing I need to work on.
Are Tormek products avilable? Used for sharpening tools. They have a honing compound that is very much like Simichrome.

Screenshot_20211112-081238_Chrome.jpg

I agree with what @Heinrich said about Simichrome, great stuff!

However I'd suggest you try what you have on hand. Only cost is time, worst case is no shine. But I think what you have will likely put a shine on it.

If you are going to lacquer it then the protection afforded by the Simichrome is mute.

For the record, my personal recipe for brass is Simichrome followed by a coat of Renaissance Wax.

Glenn

However I'd suggest you try what you have on hand. Only cost is time, worst case is no shine. But I think what you have will likely put a shine on it.

If you are going to lacquer it then the protection afforded by the Simichrome is mute.

For the record, my personal recipe for brass is Simichrome followed by a coat of Renaissance Wax.

Glenn
I'd even try an automotive rubbing or polishing compound. They'll work well too.

Are Tormek products avilable? Used for sharpening tools. They have a honing compound that is very much like Simichrome.

Glenn
Thanks again for the advice the Simichrome looks like a top product if I can find it locally I'll get some.

IMG_20211112_065859.jpg
I've taken the pedestal off you can see how much tarnish has built up over 25 years.
I'm going to polish it up with Autosol and try wax to protect against tarnishing. If it starts to tarnish I'll replace the wax with lacquer.

Back