Corel HMS Unicorn - 1/75 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Slowly making progress since my last post.

IMG_20220504_134124.jpg
IMG_20220504_134144.jpg
Forestays are in place now I can move up a level.

IMG_20220509_165728~2.jpg
Fitting the deadeyes to the tops was a bit of a problem the instructions showed them being tied on but they were too loose. I ended up using brass wire to hold them in place it was a lot stronger and looked better.

IMG_20220509_145308~2.jpg
This part I find very difficult. I had trouble doing these on my last model so this time I left off the hooks and eyes at the top, but I don't think it made it any easier.

IMG_20220509_164659.jpg
IMG_20220509_164719~2.jpg
Glad these are finished now to prepare the next mast sections.

Report back you soon. Tony

Hi everyone rigging is progressing slowly, which is most probably the best way to do it. I'm going to try attaching the yards next, access will be easier but I will have to be careful not to damage them later on.

IMG_20220603_104448.jpg
IMG_20220603_104513.jpg
IMG_20220603_104545.jpg
Ratlines are all finished now, always good to tick off that box.

IMG_20220603_104730.jpg
IMG_20220603_104938.jpg
IMG_20220603_104337~2.jpg

I don't know if there's method to this madness or madness in this method. There's lines all over the place I haven't fixed any of them in place at the moment that way I can put tension on them when they are all in place. Also I'm sure about the belaying points on some lines they may need moving which will be easier when there all in place.

Hi everyone rigging is progressing slowly, which is most probably the best way to do it. I'm going to try attaching the yards next, access will be easier but I will have to be careful not to damage them later on.

View attachment 312407
View attachment 312408
View attachment 312409
Ratlines are all finished now, always good to tick off that box.

View attachment 312410
View attachment 312411
View attachment 312412

I don't know if there's method to this madness or madness in this method. There's lines all over the place I haven't fixed any of them in place at the moment that way I can put tension on them when they are all in place. Also I'm sure about the belaying points on some lines they may need moving which will be easier when there all in place.
Good morning Tony. That is beautiful work. Man you got those ratlines brilliant. Maybe you can do some on my Victory for me ;). I think you hit the nail on the the head- madness is in our methods for sure. I think we find one which works for us and if we don’t try we don’t know. Lovely Unicorn you are making. Cheers Grant

Good morning Tony. That is beautiful work. Man you got those ratlines brilliant. Maybe you can do some on my Victory for me ;). I think you hit the nail on the the head- madness is in our methods for sure. I think we find one which works for us and if we don’t try we don’t know. Lovely Unicorn you are making. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant I much appreciate your feedback, I'm still playing around with the sequence hopefully it will become easier. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with ratlines, I didn't want to start them but by the end was quite enjoying them.
You are doing such a good job on the Victory I wouldn't want to spoil it.

View attachment 308820
View attachment 308821

View attachment 308822
Fitting the deadeyes to the tops was a bit of a problem the instructions showed them being tied on but they were too loose. I ended up using brass wire to hold them in place it was a lot stronger and looked better.

View attachment 308823
This part I find very difficult. I had trouble doing these on my last model so this time I left off the hooks and eyes at the top, but I don't think it made it any easier.

View attachment 308826
View attachment 308825

Good morning Tony- I feel your pain ;) . Great job - spot on! Cheers Grant

Now I've finished the Black Pearl I'm going to complete a model I started around 25 years ago. The Unicorn was chosen because I felt it was the best ship in my price range at the time. This build stopped in 97 when we moved house then a new puppy, change of job and no time for models.

View attachment 268027

View attachment 268028
View attachment 268030
View attachment 268029
As you can see by the dust and cobwebs it's going to need a good clean up and there's a bit of fixing to be done.
Hallo Tony alias @Tony H
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special day
Birthday-Cake

View attachment 308820
View attachment 308821

View attachment 308822

View attachment 308823

View attachment 308826
View attachment 308825

Wery well-done MAT- Itakes me about 45 years back, when I build mine- by far as good as yours -a a lot of things have improved since then. no Google etc.

Wery well-done MAT- Itakes me about 45 years back, when I build mine- by far as good as yours -a a lot of things have improved since then. no Google etc.
Thanks for the kind words. This kit was purchased in 1987 started in 1995 then put away for another 25 years. This time it will be finished and have a nice vintage.

Time for a update all the yards are mounted and 80% of the rigging is in place. All the lines are loose at the moment due to some inconsistencies in the belaying points on the drawings. I'll work out the final position when there all in place.

IMG_20220625_172958~3.jpg

IMG_20220625_172938~2.jpg
The bumpkins proved to be a bit of a headache as the drawings showed no way of holding them in place. The tricky part was making both sides symmetrical.

IMG_20220626_073306.jpg
IMG_20220626_073723.jpg
IMG_20220626_073057.jpg
Lots of loose ends to sort out and all the braces to install. I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel hope it's not a train coming the other way.

Time for a update all the yards are mounted and 80% of the rigging is in place. All the lines are loose at the moment due to some inconsistencies in the belaying points on the drawings. I'll work out the final position when there all in place.

View attachment 315680

View attachment 315681
The bumpkins proved to be a bit of a headache as the drawings showed no way of holding them in place. The tricky part was making both sides symmetrical.

View attachment 315682
View attachment 315683
View attachment 315684
Lots of loose ends to sort out and all the braces to install. I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel hope it's not a train coming the other way.
Good morning Tony. Looks like you having got this-Thumbsup. Definitely the light at the end of the tunnel and you are on the train to completion of a wonderful Unicorn. Cheers Grant

Back