Corel HMS Unicorn - 1/75 scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

G'day not much is happening in the dockyard at the moment just a case of history repeating itself. Back in 97 we decided to move house, I had started the Unicorn about 6 months previously and it had to be packed away. Now the only thing stopping me from finishing it is we're going to put the house on the market and move interstate in the next 12 months. With the housing market the way it is we want to have it ready to sell in the next few months in case prices start falling. This means my to-do list has become the get it done now list.
Back to the good stuff the front end of the Unicorn is just about finished only need to add a few hanks to the belaying pins then on to the next mast.

IMG_20220830_122911.jpg
IMG_20220830_122812.jpg
IMG_20220830_122752.jpg
IMG_20220830_122738.jpg

If all goes to plan I'll have more time in the dockyard next month and make some real progress.

G'day not much is happening in the dockyard at the moment just a case of history repeating itself. Back in 97 we decided to move house, I had started the Unicorn about 6 months previously and it had to be packed away. Now the only thing stopping me from finishing it is we're going to put the house on the market and move interstate in the next 12 months. With the housing market the way it is we want to have it ready to sell in the next few months in case prices start falling. This means my to-do list has become the get it done now list.
Back to the good stuff the front end of the Unicorn is just about finished only need to add a few hanks to the belaying pins then on to the next mast.

View attachment 326174
View attachment 326175
View attachment 326176
View attachment 326177

If all goes to plan I'll have more time in the dockyard next month and make some real progress.
WELL DONE MATE. DECK PERFECT

Good news the dockyard has opened up again and a fair amount of progress has been made. The rigging is around 90% complete then I need to add the finishing touches.

View attachment 339345
View attachment 339346
View attachment 339347
View attachment 339348
View attachment 339349
View attachment 339350
View attachment 339344
View attachment 339341
Absolutely well-done MATE It cannot be much better. Hope you are not adding sails and spoils this beautiful ship- el capi

Hi I feel like I'm facing a headwind very slow going at the moment but any progress is good.

IMG_20221031_143432~2.jpg

The anchors have been finished and mounted in place. The band's where made with flattened copper wire and shaped it around the stock.

IMG_20221101_135803~2.jpg
Home made anchor cable 2.5mm dia, this is how it was tied.

IMG_20221128_170009.jpg
IMG_20221128_170232.jpg
IMG_20221128_170103~2.jpg
IMG_20221128_170035~2.jpg

Most of the rigging is finished now, im just adding the finishing touches. I'm not sure about adding flags, the ones with the kit don't look natural. I'll have a play around with them and see how they turn out.

Good looking anchor's Tony, What did you use to flatten out the wire bands. They look so smooth as if you placed the wire between two rollers.

Hi I feel like I'm facing a headwind very slow going at the moment but any progress is good.

View attachment 342923

The anchors have been finished and mounted in place. The band's where made with flattened copper wire and shaped it around the stock.

View attachment 342924

View attachment 342925
View attachment 342926
View attachment 342927
View attachment 342928

Most of the rigging is finished now, im just adding the finishing touches. I'm not sure about adding flags, the ones with the kit don't look natural. I'll have a play around with them and see how they turn out.
An excellent build of this ship, which I built in 1980. There are very big differences between the one I build to yours. The Kit is much better than mine.
I have had a strong look at the build -images of today -and I cannot see any "MISTAKE ". only maybe you could the ancherbom a little better- peanut-All knots made correctly so a BIG WELL DOONE MATE from oldtimer-80 years od age-50 yeras as building-35models in total

EE-09-ANCHORBOM-824.jpg

View attachment 342923

View attachment 342924

View attachment 342925
View attachment 342926
View attachment 342927
View attachment 342928

Good evening Tony. Nearing completion and looking fabulous. Precise work. Cheers Grant

Good looking anchor's Tony, What did you use to flatten out the wire bands. They look so smooth as if you placed the wire between two rollers.
Hi Daniel thanks for the feedback, your right I made a tool to make thin strip.

P1210111.JPG

For more details.

Hi Daniel thanks for the feedback, your right I made a tool to make thin strip.

View attachment 343017

For more details.

I knew it!

An excellent build of this ship, which I built in 1980. There are very big differences between the one I build to yours. The Kit is much better than mine.
I have had a strong look at the build -images of today -and I cannot see any "MISTAKE ". only maybe you could the ancherbom a little better- peanut-All knots made correctly so a BIG WELL DOONE MATE from oldtimer-80 years od age-50 yeras as building-35models in total

View attachment 342942
Thanks for the kind words, this kit was purchased in the 80s and has taken me nearly 30 years to get this far. I decided to follow the instructions and use the fittings that came with the kit but a few have been improved. I'm not sure if the copper plated hull is correct for this time period but I wanted to gain some experience for my next ship.

Thanks for the kind words, this kit was purchased in the 80s and has taken me nearly 30 years to get this far. I decided to follow the instructions and use the fittings that came with the kit but a few have been improved. I'm not sure if the copper plated hull is correct for this time period but I wanted to gain some experience for my next ship.
From your last update, your model of Unicorn is the sale as I build in 80TH. As I have lost all my images- not only Unicorn -in an accident the moving from one residence to another, if you do not mind I will make some copies of your build. the only thing I remember now from that build is the kit was from Corel and the instructions came on some big pages, but not in 1:1 scale.
EXELENT WORK with make uo some memories.

From your last update, your model of Unicorn is the sale as I build in 80TH. As I have lost all my images- not only Unicorn -in an accident the moving from one residence to another, if you do not mind I will make some copies of your build. the only thing I remember now from that build is the kit was from Corel and the instructions came on some big pages, but not in 1:1 scale.
EXELENT WORK with make uo some memories.
Hi I'm sorry to hear that you lost your Unicorn, we will be moving residence next year and I will be very careful how I pack the models. In a few weeks my Unicorn will be finished and I'll post more photos please make as many copies as you need. The kit is from Corel, I found the written instructions to be fair. There are 3 sheets of 1:1 drawings and 7 pages of A3 assembly/rigging drawings.

Hi I'm sorry to hear that you lost your Unicorn, we will be moving residence next year and I will be very careful how I pack the models. In a few weeks my Unicorn will be finished and I'll post more photos please make as many copies as you need. The kit is from Corel, I found the written instructions to be fair. There are 3 sheets of 1:1 drawings and 7 pages of A3 assembly/rigging drawings.
MINE WAS THE SAME AS YOURS, ONLY MY BUILD WAS A LOT EARLIER.
HAVE A NICE WEEKEND AND A HAPPY BUILDING.
I have over the years built over 30 models- mainly Danish and Spanish models. i think that unicorn the 2Nd- Victory and
Unicorn

Back