Corel HMS Victory Cross Section 1:98 Kit

Kurt Konrath

Kurt Konrath

I was made on offer on a Corel kit for HMS Victory cross section in 1:98 scale. Kit SM 24

It looks to be an older version due to age and wear on box.

I am asking if this kit has any major flaws or issues to be aware of before I purchase it, or decide what to spend on it.

I bought this model in 1989, and finally finished it this year. (No, didn't work on it all that time.) On my model, the part that connects the Top Mast to the Topgallant Mast, above the Crosstree (sorry, can't think of the terminology), was the wrong size and had to be remade. The cannon sizes weren't very accurate, so I had my son make me some 3D versions (this is very common with many models). The storage barrels weren't sufficient nor IMHO the right size, so again 3D versions helped me out. The model is pretty nice, I think, even built exactly as shown. I enjoyed it. I think they sell for $150-$200. The main problem I had was making sure the cannon cutouts were the correct height off the deck for the cannon to fit properly (my 3D ones or the originals). Just be careful and don't box yourself in there Here's a couple pics of mine:

Attachments

• 20210616_151542.jpg
    20210616_151542.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210616_153034.jpg
    20210616_153034.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 31
I bought this model in 1989, and finally finished it this year. (No, didn't work on it all that time.) On my model, the part that connects the Top Mast to the Topgallant Mast, above the Crosstree (sorry, can't think of the terminology), was the wrong size and had to be remade. The cannon sizes weren't very accurate, so I had my son make me some 3D versions (this is very common with many models). The storage barrels weren't sufficient nor IMHO the right size, so again 3D versions helped me out. The model is pretty nice, I think, even built exactly as shown. I enjoyed it. I think they sell for $150-$200. Here's a couple pics of mine:
Thanks for reply and info

I bought this model in 1989, and finally finished it this year. (No, didn't work on it all that time.) On my model, the part that connects the Top Mast to the Topgallant Mast, above the Crosstree (sorry, can't think of the terminology), was the wrong size and had to be remade. The cannon sizes weren't very accurate, so I had my son make me some 3D versions (this is very common with many models). The storage barrels weren't sufficient nor IMHO the right size, so again 3D versions helped me out. The model is pretty nice, I think, even built exactly as shown. I enjoyed it. I think they sell for $150-$200. The main problem I had was making sure the cannon cutouts were the correct height off the deck for the cannon to fit properly (my 3D ones or the originals). Just be careful and don't box yourself in there Here's a couple pics of mine:

G'day Signet, that is a very nice model, with lots of extra details,
Best regards John,

Thank you John. While the workmanship is nothing like the norm posted here, I am still pleased with the result and it looks good on my wall.

Thank you John. While the workmanship is nothing like the norm posted here, I am still pleased with the result and it looks good on my wall.

I think you underestimate yourself the build and presentation look fantastic,
Best regards John,

I was made on offer on a Corel kit for HMS Victory cross section in 1:98 scale. Kit SM 24

It looks to be an older version due to age and wear on box.

I am asking if this kit has any major flaws or issues to be aware of before I purchase it, or decide what to spend on it.
If you start a build log I would be interested in following, I have this version which I believe is an updated kit.

20210919_231857.jpg

Back