Corel WASA problems

Has anyone that has built or is building this model run into a design problem with the below-decks cannon receivers? I have just encountered one that could have problems with the continued build and subsequent placing of cannons. The kit comes with a rather fragile "C" shaped piece of basswood that is to be cut into 20 mm sections and glued/affixed to the frames to allow for later insertion of cannon barrels. There are two problems with this piece. First, it is so fragile that when being sawn, the side pieces split. I am addressing this by planning to milla piece of poplar using a router table and table saw. Secondly, the plans (3B) give the dimensions of the required pieces as being 16.5 mm wide with a 14 mm wide dado. One side is shown to be 1.5 mm thick while the opposite side is shown to be 4mm thick. The actual included piece is nowhere near these dimensions. If one does the math, the width of each section should be 19.5 mm wide, not 16.5, if I am doing the math correctly. The dimensions of the sides of the actual basswood are 2mm and 3mm respectively. The dado is 10.5 - 11 mm.

My dilemma then is how to mill this piece. Do I mill it following the indicated measurements or do I mill it to follow the actual measurements of the included piece? If I make them larger, using the indicated dimensions, how much might this throw off the rest of the build, planking, spacing, etc?

I am beginning to wish I had not bought this poorly designed model with its poorly written instructions and put my money into another better designed kit. That being said. I am going to build this boat and make it as historically correct as I can in spite of the discrepancies.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

uncchains. I haven't started my build, but I did check the plans and the wood 'C' channel. Agree the dimensions are off. I'm not sure that is a problem though (I haven't investigated the ships directions.)

What I did was measure the dimensions of the gun ports and the 'C' channel seems to be the correct size (or close enough that it works fine.) I also looked at some other Corel Wasa builds and no one mentioned a problem with this piece.

IMG_2993 2.JPGIMG_2991 2.JPGIMG_2994.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks. I decided to go with the included piece. After milling the poplar to the "correct" dimensions, it seemed awfully large. I cannot understand why there are so many errors in the instructions for this kit. The indicated part numbers are wrong, planking for the deck is shown as one number on the plan but this number is nowhere in the instructions and the one indicated is incorrect. There are few measurements of anything in the instructions so one has to do a lot of guessing. This will be a challenge.

uncchains. I haven't started my build, but I did check the plans and the wood 'C' channel. Agree the dimensions are off. I'm not sure that is a problem though (I haven't investigated the ships directions.)

What I did was measure the dimensions of the gun ports and the 'C' channel seems to be the correct size (or close enough that it works fine.) I also looked at some other Corel Wasa builds and no one mentioned a problem with this piece.

View attachment 370837View attachment 370836View attachment 370835
How have you worked the bow? The Corel kit has five pieces that are to be glued together and placed at the bow but there is no instruction as to how to shape these pieces into some rounded form. I can't seem to figure out how to shape and smooth these pieces.

Sorry uncchains, but it will be quite a while before I get to this kit. I don't have the plans available right now.

HERE is a google search on 'bow and stern filler blocks'. There should be some links here that will help you shape the blocks.

Have you looked at Wasa (Vasa) build logs. There may be something there to help. HERE

If you are still having a problem, let me know and I will get my kit out and look at the plans.

Sorry uncchains, but it will be quite a while before I get to this kit. I don't have the plans available right now.

HERE is a google search on 'bow and stern filler blocks'. There should be some links here that will help you shape the blocks.

Have you looked at Wasa (Vasa) build logs. There may be something there to help. HERE

If you are still having a problem, let me know and I will get my kit out and look at the plans.
I think I have figured it out. The blocks are not supposed to be sloped/rounded but left "Stepped." I found several photos that would seem to support the idea and the plans hint at it (downward looking view). This assumption is aided by views on subsequent plan sheets showing the planking to stop at the first bulkhead/frame. Thanks for the links. Good info on each.

Back