Corel Wasa (Vasa), 1628 - Swedish Royal Warship of 64 guns, 1:75

Picked up the Corel Wasa kit cheaply on the SoS Forum and have been looking forward to diving in to a new project.

Wasa-Corel-Model-Ship-Kit-min.jpg

Most of my projects are in storage after a move, and I am excited for something new (READ: ADHD) so I jumped into the Vasa as soon as she arrived. I understand the Corel kit is not very accurate, so, as much as my skill level allows, I'll be supplementing and adding my own bits where I can. One thing I may not change is the color. The Corel kit is committed to a blue color theme, and I do really like this color. If I do a future Vasa, I may go for the more authentic red; however, as this is less a Vasa than a Vasa-like ship, I'm ok with it being a bit "customized".

I have picked up a couple of references, including:

51yUPz4u0UL._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg
9789174865813-us.jpg
10893251.jpg
91-DANyiLVL.jpg

Fred Hocker. (2011). Vasa, A Swedish Warship.
Lars-Åke Kvarning, Bengt Ohrelius. (1998). The Vasa, the Royal Warship.
Bjorn Landstrom. (1988). The Royal Warship Vasa.
Wolfram zu Mondfeld. (1981). Wasa: Schwedisches Regalschiff von 1628 (2 vols: Text and Plans).

Those should get me by; however, if anyone has a copy of VASA I for less than the cost of my house, let me know.

Pics and build log coming soon. . .

Last edited:
Great to see you back at the bench Eric - and certainly no better ship than the VASA to kick off proceedings. I will be following your progress in anticipation.

I am happy to see your start of the building log - I will follow with big interest

Those should get me by; however, if anyone has a copy of VASA I for less than the cost of my house, let me know.

Which book to you mean?
The Vasa I: The Archaeology of a Swedish Warship of 1628 some 15 or 20 years ago by Fred Hocker?

I have a copy of Volume I, which is presenting the background to the ship's story, its excavation and salvage, as well as an overview of the the finds and their context. But gives reduced information about the structure and the construction of the ship.

A lot of people are still waiting for the following Volumes of this book, I guess @fred.hocker knows more......

I have a copy of Volume I, which is presenting the background to the ship's story, its excavation and salvage, as well as an overview of the the finds and their context. But gives reduced information about the structure and the construction of the ship.
Uwe is correct. This book is interesting from a historical/research perspective but would not be all that helpful (cost vs benefit) when it comes to building a model. Since you will not be dying on the hill of Vasa build perfection I think you will find Landstrom very helpful. His drawings are amazing (even when he draws something wrong).

Needless to say I have piles and piles of information. When you bump up against particular questions please allow me to help.

Eric,

Same as with Paul. I also have piles of information having spent too much time building this Corel Vasa - If you get "stuck" just reach out
I also have 100s of 1/1 images - if there is an area where you can't locate an image - it may be in one of my folders of the 1/1 or the 1/10th
there are also several great logs of this ship here at SoS.
Good luck will also follow along,

Regards,

Which book to you mean?
The Vasa I: The Archaeology of a Swedish Warship of 1628 some 15 or 20 years ago by Fred Hocker?

A lot of people are still waiting for the following Volumes of this book, I guess @fred.hocker knows more......
Hi @Uwek.
Yes, this is the one I was referring to. I haven't gotten a look at it yet, but if it has less construction info, that lowers my interest a bit. Are you interested in selling your copy?
I too am on the lookout for the coming volume(s), and I am will keep @fred.hocker in mind. Maybe he can give us an update or an announcement when the new volume(s) are available.

Last edited:
Uwe is correct. This book is interesting from a historical/research perspective but would not be all that helpful (cost vs benefit) when it comes to building a model. Since you will not be dying on the hill of Vasa build perfection I think you will find Landstrom very helpful. His drawings are amazing (even when he draws something wrong).

Needless to say I have piles and piles of information. When you bump up against particular questions please allow me to help.
Thanks, Paul. I will be looking to your recent build regularly I am sure.

Eric,

You will not do better than to review the impeccable detail that Paul provided in his Vasa build (just be aware of the number of pages in his Log)!!! There have however been a few other logs recently (including Daniel), and hesitantly, I say mine (although Daniel and mine are based on Billings kits as our starting point), and then with substantial modification with the help of people like Paul and Fred Hocker. There is a wealth of research and documentation out their on the internet including some hard to find Ph.D theses and research papers for the finer details such as block design, hull construction etc etc. Both Paul and I would have most of these so please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

PeterG

Great to see you back at the bench Eric - and certainly no better ship than the VASA to kick off proceedings. I will be following your progress in anticipation.
Good to be back at the bench @Heinrich. Between another new hobby (watchmaking) and a cross-country move, I've been away too long. Deep into my Vasa at this point. Pictures should be coming as soon as I get them transferred.
I have to say, everything I do seems to appear so "sloppy" with the @dockattner build constantly in my dreams. ;)

img_8524.jpg

AHA! Found the image I have been searching for. I wasn't sure what to make of the filler area between the two bow passages. Looks like its a broader ladder/staircase. Can @oldflyer, @PeterG, or @dockattner confirm that function? In the Corel kit, this appears to be almost an ornamental filler block. Also, the thickness of the passage walls looks almost cartoonish in the kit pieces. Debating the riskiness of using a table saw to thin these pieces. . .

I think you will find Landstrom very helpful. His drawings are amazing (even when he draws something wrong).
@dockattner
Have you seen Landstrom's Ships of the Pharoahs. I have one of these in the back of my mind for a scratch build. I came across it from @Schrader 's log of his "Byblos" build. If you like Landstrom's drawings, and you like some older boats, you should absolutely have a look! :) His log is pretty impressive as well.

Congratulations on starting a challenging build! SHout out here if you need information. TO answer some questions that are passing through the thread:

1. Landström is a pretty good source for the basic hull structure, but a lot of the superstructure details are different from what he has drawn.
2. Do not bother with Mondfeld, virtually everything in that book is made-up fiction, especially the armament, deck fittings and rigging.
3. You do not need Vasa I to build a good model. It includes deck plans, but we can send you separately. The book is meant as an archaeologial report.
4. Vasa II, a detailed study of the rigging, should be out later this year (it is going to the printer in the next month).

Fred

img_8524.jpg

AHA! Found the image I have been searching for. I wasn't sure what to make of the filler area between the two bow passages. Looks like its a broader ladder/staircase. Can @oldflyer, @PeterG, or @dockattner confirm that function? In the Corel kit, this appears to be almost an ornamental filler block. Also, the thickness of the passage walls looks almost cartoonish in the kit pieces. Debating the riskiness of using a table saw to thin these pieces. . .
The hull planking comes into the stem conventionally up to the level of the bowsprit. Above this, the beakhead bulkhed has lapstrake(clapboard planking on curved stanchions up to the upper deck. There is s step fastened at each lap, both between the doors and outboard of the doors, so that you can get down into the beakhead from above. The steps as they are now have sagged a bit between the doors, but were originally horizontal.

Fred

@dockattner
Have you seen Landstrom's Ships of the Pharoahs. I have one of these in the back of my mind for a scratch build. I came across it from @Schrader 's log of his "Byblos" build. If you like Landstrom's drawings, and you like some older boats, you should absolutely have a look! :) His log is pretty impressive as well.
I haven't but it sounds interesting. I'll see what I can find. Thanks much!

The hull planking comes into the stem conventionally up to the level of the bowsprit. Above this, the beakhead bulkhed has lapstrake(clapboard planking on curved stanchions up to the upper deck. There is s step fastened at each lap, both between the doors and outboard of the doors, so that you can get down into the beakhead from above. The steps as they are now have sagged a bit between the doors, but were originally horizontal.

Fred
Eric, I see Fred has answered your question. FYI, as a concession to buildability, I did not lapstrake the curved (horizontally and vertically curved by the way) portion of interest. By the time you add the three steps the lapstrake disappears anyways.

Picked up the Corel Wasa kit cheaply on the SoS Forum and have been looking forward to diving in to a new project.

Wasa-Corel-Model-Ship-Kit-min.jpg

Most of my projects are in storage after a move, and I am excited for something new (READ: ADHD) so I jumped into the Vasa as soon as she arrived. I understand the Corel kit is not very accurate, so, as much as my skill level allows, I'll be supplementing and adding my own bits where I can. One thing I may not change is the color. The Corel kit is committed to a blue color theme, and I do really like this color. If I do a future Vasa, I may go for the more authentic red; however, as this is less a Vasa than a Vasa-like ship, I'm ok with it being a bit "customized".

I have picked up a couple of references, including:

51yUPz4u0UL._SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_FMwebp_.jpg
9789174865813-us.jpg
10893251.jpg
91-DANyiLVL.jpg

Fred Hocker. (2011). Vasa, A Swedish Warship.
Lars-Åke Kvarning, Bengt Ohrelius. (1998). The Vasa, the Royal Warship.
Bjorn Landstrom. (1988). The Royal Warship Vasa.
Wolfram zu Mondfeld. (1981). Wasa: Schwedisches Regalschiff von 1628 (2 vols: Text and Plans).

Pics and build log coming soon. . .
Hallo Eric alias @Brewbrarian
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back