COTTON rigging string

Can anyone please recommend a good supplier for cotton rigging string in the US? I thought I found some of beautiful color and size, .5mm, when measured is accurate, but cant get it to go through 1mm hole. If I bore out holes in the blocks too much, the double blocks no longer become double.:( Just barely gets through the singles with much effort Thank you one and all for your assistance

Can anyone please recommend a good supplier for cotton rigging string in the US? I thought I found some of beautiful color and size, .5mm, when measured is accurate, but cant get it to go through 1mm hole. If I bore out holes in the blocks too much, the double blocks no longer become double.:( Just barely gets through the singles with much effort Thank you one and all for your assistance

I had trouble threading parrels even though the thread was nominally less than the hole diameter.
I didn't make the holes any bigger but I eased the entry with a conical dremel grinder bit.
It worked - especially if I striffened the end of the thread with glue.
1603815929455.png

try the company "crafty sailor" in canada .they ship to usa no problem. they carry the master korabel line of kits and fittings and the rigging lines for standing and running are very good. no fuzz or "hair' just make sure to c.a. at your cutting point so it doesnt unravel. not the cheapest but it looks great .

It may be that all that is needed is a sharp instrument to make a clean cut in the thread, then cyanoacrylate to stiffen the end 5 - 10mm.
Or you might have tried that already!

I use a needle threader works every time and easy to get. Use it for blocks parrels and everywhere I need to put thread through

I use a needle threader works every time and easy to get. Use it for blocks parrels and everywhere I need to put thread through
I have plenty of needle threaders.... the problem is even though string is .5mm it will not fit throough a 1 mm hole when doubled over for needle threaders... reamed holes as much as possible, then destroyed.

I have plenty of needle threaders.... the problem is even though string is .5mm it will not fit throough a 1 mm hole when doubled over for needle threaders... reamed holes as much as possible, then destroyed.
Even tried the CA trick on the end and still wont go.

DNC cotton crochet thread is the thread of choice for most of Europe and certainly France (DNC is a French company).
You can order it by mail from knitting-warehouse.com. They usually have size 3 through 100 in stock. The sizes most useful are 50 through 100. The diameter of 100 is about 0.008". Be careful to order 3-strand right hand twist 3SLH). They do have some 2-strand left hand twist, but you don't find much use for it. Pick the color white or light tan (they have another name for this color) and dye it yourself. The price is reasonable and delivery is fast. You can also lookup dnc.com. They will provide a host of suppliers. You can probably buy a lifetime supply of all usuable sizes for 30 bucks. After you dye the thread, run it through a very dilute wax solution; this helps alleviate some of the problems you are having. There was an article on wax in the NRJ a few issues ago. You might want to read it. I use the 100 in 2 to 3 millimeter blocks with 0.0135' diameter holes with no problems.

Just wanted to add my two cents worth... if needle threader doesn't work, I usually go to my trusty old dental floss. Usually the knot at the tip is small enough to get through small holes.PSX_20201102_131428.jpg

Back