Cut away deck and rigging

I'm rigging the Discovery1789 with open cut away decks. There will be a few spots where coils/hanks of rope will want to lay over the spots where there is no deck. Do you think I should put in a few short pieces of planking where ever this may happen. In the picture there may be a few coils of rope where things are belayed to the timberheads. I'm thinking the coils would look odd draped over the deck beams or laying on the knees:). I can't find any pictures of what others have done in this situation.

IMG_0398.JPG

The only cutaway that I plan on doing is of the captains cabin for my Sphinx. I plan on including furniture to scale as well.
The thing is, there isn't much to see on the lower decks, in my opinion.

On old dockyard models that were rigged the planking is often along the outer edges of the deck and the gaps central. So ropes belated there have somewhere to cal home.

On old dockyard models that were rigged the planking is often along the outer edges of the deck and the gaps central. So ropes belated there have somewhere to call home.
Thanks. That's kinda what I was leaning toward. I'll have to remember how I joggled the planks. It will be a nice break from rigging. That can get a little tedious. Just finished the braces.. Now on to the sail rigging.

I'm rigging the Discovery1789 with open cut away decks. There will be a few spots where coils/hanks of rope will want to lay over the spots where there is no deck. Do you think I should put in a few short pieces of planking where ever this may happen. In the picture there may be a few coils of rope where things are belayed to the timberheads. I'm thinking the coils would look odd draped over the deck beams or laying on the knees:). I can't find any pictures of what others have done in this situation.

View attachment 458384
I would hang them as much as possible over the timberheads

The seamen tried definitely to keep as much as possible of the rope material away from the deck

Screenshot 2024-07-11 084311.png Screenshot 2024-07-11 084359.png

Screenshot 2024-07-11 084418.png
The Frigate "Shtandart"

Another possibility is to replace portions of the deck with clear acetate or acrylic so that the interior structure can be observed while allowing items to be displayed where they would be placed or attached to the deck. This method is sometimes used in museum displays to show internal structures. Remember the Visible Man plastic model?

Back