Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Kit Review:
Cutter HMS ALERT 1777
POF in scale 1:48
by TRIDENT MODEL

in the beginning some older renderings of the 3D-model - when I receive actual one´s I will change them

49848593_1240065999480337_3223371641388007424_n.jpg

49895544_1240065956147008_1892116781049315328_n.jpg

Trident Models is a very new chinese manufacturer (since 2018) and this model is the very first kit they produce on a limited basis.

We here in SOS were able and followed the development of this kit from an early phase and already a lot detail solutions and parts were already published and exclusively shown here in our forum. In addition we agreed with Trident, that there will be also a gift for every SOS member. Also to mention is the exclusive group build of this model here in SOS. All this will be explained much more in detail in the near future

Topic Development of the kit:

But now in the following I will describe the Content of Kit I received some days ago

Boxing

The kit comes well packed and secured in a very rigid outer box - The total weight is appr. 6kg - not a light kit and looks like a lot of timber
IMG-3680.jpg

The box of the kit with the Trident Models logo and the Slogan: "Born for the Limit, Live for the Challenge" - also a very solid one
IMG-3682.jpg

General Overview of the Content

The view Inside after lifting the cover and removing the first layer of bubble wrap
Very safe and secured, the timber sheets are wrapped with some foil in order to protect the timber from moisture
IMG-3685.jpg

The different packages outside the box
IMG-3686.jpg

In the following I will show without any bigger descriptions the content of the packages and will afterwards go more in detail into the different types of timber sheets etc.
If you read already the Unboxing topic, you will recognize partly the same photos, but afterwards I will show more

Package 1
IMG-3688.jpg

Package 2
IMG-3690.jpg

Package 3
IMG-3695.jpg

Package 4
IMG-3691.jpg

A lot of timber, a nice tower of 15cm
IMG_5748a.jpg

The box with fittings and metal parts, also separately bagged
IMG-3696.jpg

Manual and Drawing
IMG-3709.jpg

Please take also a look at the following posts ..... to be continued

Last edited:
Kit Review: Part II
Cutter HMS ALERT 1777

by TRIDENT MODEL

The JIG(s)

The hull Construction JIG

A lot of manufacturer do not care about how the modeler is constructing the models - so often or most there is no JIG included.
For POF models a temporary construction Jig is necessary or very helpful - so often in such kits a jig is available giving some help
Seems, that Trident Models produced now a new top mark and raised the bar......

49811053_1240066032813667_5616041799651950592_n.jpg

In the following the sheets made out of medium density boards - laser cut (the ruler in the photos has a length of 50cm)

IMG_5722a.jpg

IMG_5721a.jpg

IMG_5723a.jpg

The frame construction Jig(s)

IMG_5724a.jpg

IMG_5725a.jpg

IMG_5726a.jpg

These are Jigs and not the frames by itself - also medium density board.
These jigs, existing for every single frame of the hull, shall help the modeler to install the single frame elements

IMG_20180828_122753.jpg
photo taken from the development topic in order to explain the use

We will see how this will work, but a very clever idea and I guess it will work much better than to align the floor timbers, futtocks and chocks on a sheet of paper......
Great Idea

Last edited:
Kit Review: Part III
Cutter HMS ALERT 1777

by TRIDENT MODEL

In principle most of the timber is Cherry wood.
Trident Model don't divide the wood into ABCD grades like other manufacturers. The timber has good quality with some wood color difference, lighter edge, slight black line which are normal phenomena. And I am pretty sure, that a hull construction with elements with slightly different colors are not boring
Very important: Trident Model didn't choose a collection of perfect boards and sheets for me, they just picked a kit out of the production. Thumbs-Up

TIMBER Sheets

elements of the framing - CNC cut
IMG_5727a.jpg

IMG_5734a.jpg

I checked the thickness of the different boards with my ruler (I pressed it together - a very continuous thickness -> Great)
IMG_5731a.jpg IMG_5732a.jpg IMG_5733a.jpg

IMG_5735a.jpg

IMG_5736a.jpg

I found one real knothole in all of the boards, but outside of the kit part
IMG_5738a.jpg

the darker wood is black walnut
IMG_5739a.jpg

some closer look to a frame element board
IMG_5728a.jpg

IMG_5746a.jpg

IMG_5729a.jpg

Some details, which should be mentioned and shown in more detail

The sheets are CNC-cut and not laser cut - and the boards are not cut completely through the complete thickness - this production way has some pros and cons
IMG_20190310_170314.jpg
holding one against a light - photo taken from the Development Topic

The elements have to be cut out (the last micrometer) - a best way will be explained later on during the building log and also by Trident - with this way you do not have the stupid connections (Sorry, but I not not know the correct english term - like in plastic kits)

A small but acceptable disadvantage is the fact, that often sawdust is picking in the slots, especially in small edges - cleaning of these slots takes some time, but goes fast - I tried it with such a hook for rigging works and it works well and fast
IMG_5715a.jpg

A great advantage of CNC is the fact, that you can mill notches inside the element - with laser cut you have to produce such parts with sandwich construction of two or three laser cut parts glued together - above you can see already the notches for the carlings in the beams

The same boards (the two on the left side)
IMG_5736a.jpg

And on the back side with the CNC-cut notches - with this way you have already a beam with all notches prepared - no sandwich, no chisel, only cleaning
IMG_5737a.jpg

IMG_5716a.jpg

IMG_5717a.jpg

Here another example of a gun carriage with the cnc-cut notches
IMG_20190310_222327.jpg
taken from the Development Topic

IMG_5749.JPG

IMG_5750.JPG

a walnut board
IMG_5751.JPG

Last edited:
Kit Review: Part IV
Cutter HMS ALERT 1777

by TRIDENT MODEL

The Laser Cut boards

Some of the boards are laser cut, also with very high quality

IMG_5740a.jpg

some close up photos to see more details
IMG_5742a.jpg

IMG_5745a.jpg

IMG_5743a.jpg

The wooden rods

IMG_5744a.jpg
what to say? Good quality - straight - nothing more

With this post I finish the Review and description of the Content of the wooden parts - tomorrow the metal parts will follow

I am positively impressed - it will be a great fun to build this model

Last edited:
WONDERFUL REVIEW UWE, GREAT DETAIL, ONE QUSTION HOW ARE THE FRAMES NUMBERED FOR I D, AND WHERE CAN YOU FIND THE IDENTIFICATIO. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE Don
Every board is shown in the manual, so you have to use the manual for identification - no numbers on the timber - advantage is, that you do not have to remove some laser char numbers by sanding, only writing with a pencil and if not needed use the rubber - I will show this in the manual description

Obviously we knew that this should be a top notch kit as we were follow the development process from the ground up until production. We were also seen some of the models building from this kit, and they indeed a great quality. We have seen number of proofs that this kit can be build without actually bashing it. At the same time, there are many possibilities you can add to the kit and make your model unique.
All I can say, the kit exceeded our expectations and made his debut in to word of existing kits as a high grade kit! Bravo @Trident Model

Many thanks to Trident Model for providing us the evaluation kit, and huge Thank You to Uwe for such detailed open box and kit reviews! A high quality images can speak for themselves.

I honestly think that the amount of thought and planning in the development of this kit, is amazing. Considering the kits I have been making over the last 30 years we have moved from slide-rule and log tables to supercomputers. Whatever next?

I did not reserve a kit. too many other projects still on my to do list.
It will be great to watch Uwe attack this project in his usual extreme professional way. Just hope he does not neglect his Bonhomme Richard, I need to see how he works the gates, I am looking at my kit and cannot find any instructions

I did not reserve a kit. too many other projects still on my to do list.
It will be great to watch Uwe attack this project in his usual extreme professional way. Just hope he does not neglect his Bonhomme Richard, I need to see how he works the gates, I am looking at my kit and cannot find any instructions
Would you start a build log for any of your projects?

Back