Cutting Glass Microscope cover slips

NMBROOK

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hi All

I am trying something new to me on my Santa Ana build.Instead of using mica to glaze the stern windows,I have bought some of the small,super thin glass microscope slide cover slips.Rather than destroy several working out the best way of cutting these,I thought I would ask the question as I know a few members have used these before.So has anyone any tips for cutting these?I was thinking of scoring with a diamond burr and snapping.I don't have a diamond cut off wheel for the rotary tool and would rather avoid buying one just for this task.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I have answered my own question.Using a piece of scrap wood as a guide and the coverslip on a flat surface the cut line was repeatedly traced with the burr.This results in a cut without a breakage in 90% of attempts.What I didn't realise is I had bought 200 cover slips!Enough for many models so I can live with the wastageROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I used it for my Royal Caroline as documented in my blog.
I also had to make round edges to the glass and did this with proxxon cutting disk and kept the glass between two flat wooden surfaces.
One advice, I glued my glass with CA and this is sometimes creating a dull layer at the edges of the glass. Secondly it creates big forces on the glass by temperature changes on the model, leading to some cracked glass. I would use hot melt glue next time for te glass to fit them with more flexibilty.

Hi Nigel,

I used it for my Royal Caroline as documented in my blog.
I also had to make round edges to the glass and did this with proxxon cutting disk and kept the glass between two flat wooden surfaces.
One advice, I glued my glass with CA and this is sometimes creating a dull layer at the edges of the glass. Secondly it creates big forces on the glass by temperature changes on the model, leading to some cracked glass. I would use hot melt glue next time for te glass to fit them with more flexibilty.

Hi Maarten

Which type of abrasive cutting wheel did you use?I have Epoxied mine in place.I did spot glue on the outside edge with CA but with the piece flat so the fumes go up away from the glass.I had polished the glass to remove any grease and didn't get fogging.The grease creates the same effect they use to get fingerprints in a forensic lab;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Maarten

Which type of abrasive cutting wheel did you use?I have Epoxied mine in place.I did spot glue on the outside edge with CA but with the piece flat so the fumes go up away from the glass.I had polished the glass to remove any grease and didn't get fogging.The grease creates the same effect they use to get fingerprints in a forensic lab;)

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hi Nigel,

This is the blade I used, a micro diamond cutting disc.image.jpg

Thanks Maarten,I will buy one and give it a go Thumbsup Those are exactly the same thickness as mine,just mine are 22mm square

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back