Cutting out .016 thick brass parts

Can anyone share there method of cutting brass parts out....without bending them??
So small no way to get snips into area and knife not working.

Can anyone share there method of cutting brass parts out....without bending them??
Acid etch.... Or scroll saw maybe... Hard to say. What's the part and how big... err, small is it?

Parts are laser cut..... can't even get jewelers saw blade thru openings.
Finally used jewelers screwdriver ground sharp and small mallet to nibble thruIMG_20220505_202721.jpg

I am often cutting brass sheet with manual fretsaw (with metal blade of course). If the sheet is 0.5mm thick or thicker I use masking tape on both sides. The top can be used for manually drawing on it or for attaching printed drawings via postal (stick) glue. The bottom prevents it from slipping on the table. If the sheet is thinner I still use masking tape on the top (as before) and attach the sheet to a thin plywood or mdf board with a thin double-sided tape (ie. used for carpets). This makes a sandwich that can be handled easily.
Janos

Just yesterday I received these small tools especially for cutting out photo etched parts
The scissor at the top should be for the cutting out - until now I have no experience

IMG_0228.jpg

Had to research fret saw to educate myself... basically same as jewelers saw.
blades .023 wide on fret saw and .012 for thin blade of jewelers saw.
I would have to thread blade thru part ( too small gap for fret saw blade)
then connect blade to saw....without breaking blade or bending parts.
I could be wrong but looks like laser cut to me and cut measures .012 wide with feeler gauge,..too
small to get any snips in grooves to cut tang.
I Appreciate all your support and help....and I will be needing it......

That being said if any of the tools shown above can get in grooves that thin please let me know...

I typically don't "cut" photo etched brass pieces for the very reason you state. What I do is take the sheet of brass, use thin double sided tape and adhere the photo etched brass sheet to a hard, but giving surface, wood, Formica, or even the green hobby cutting pads everyone uses. Once the sheet is firmly stuck to the base surface, I simply put on my magnifying glasses and use any thin edged razor with a fine point. The key is, not to try and "cut" the little attached legs. I just place the point of the razor on the leg I want to remove and press slowly and firmly. Finish with a file. The key is the hardness of the base substrate you use. Too soft and the brass sheet will bend when you apply pressure. Too hard and you will be using more blades than you need to.

Good luck!

Check MicroMark for brass spruce cutters…there are a few with very sharp and narrow points that will be just enough to catch the sprue in your sheet brass parts. At least I have found the sharp pointed sprue cutters to work. Check the descriptions carefully…most say for plastics only…so make sure the cutter is rated for brass. I have also used chisel head XActo blades…they work…you might go through several as they dull down. This is a challenge for us all…

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone....I have sharpened a small jewelers screwdriver and if I place sheet on piece of hardwood a can chisel part off without bending.

I can't remember who, but there is a youtube video advising not to use a cutting mat to prevent distorting the brass. He used a ceramic bathroom tile with possibly some masking tape.

Place the PE fret on a black ceramic tile or black glass and cut the pieces out with a sharp X acto blade or sharp hobby knife.. Once cut and burs or nibs removed with a diamond file put a tiny bit of masking goo on the small PE piece and using a toothpick placed on the masking pick it up and carefully place onto whatever part of the model you wish. The masking will rub off without damaging the PE. Be careful when cutting because the small items have a habit of pinging away and disappearing for ever or/and getting eaten by the carpet monster. Photo shows what I use for PE. " black glass, #3 cutter, Mr Hobby Masking Sol R, toothpick and naturally super glued fingers (not shown)" Takes a little practice but awesome when done. Hope this isn't to confusing for you - cheers.

PE Cutting.png

Last edited:
Back