Cutty Sark 12 years labor. Originally the Sergal kit modified per Longridge and under hill

You are showing excellent craftsmanship building the Cutty! She is looking gorgeous with her sails span! A model to be proud of!

I would love to put this in the Gallery, but if there is any way that this beautiful model to be done justice is to have it photographed in a location that has the ship isolated away from the garage/workshop setting? Just my humble opinion is all. What a fine cutty this is -

Thanks you for the compliments. These photos were just taken spur of the moment to celebrate completion. I will do studio pictures for the gallery later. I'm also p[planning a YouTube video. Lou

I can totally understand celebrating the completion - I would have done the same thing. It is such a good feeling.

Absolutely excellent work Dr. Lou. I'm building the same kit and have a long way to go with it. I'm interested in your sails. Did you make them or is there a set for sale somewhere? I'd like to have sails on mine but haven't the foggiest idea of how to create them. Maybe you might tell us of how you handled that? Pete

Thanks for the kind words. This was supposed to be my final project, my master work if you will, But Imissed modelling so much that I have started the Esmeralda and amplanning a scratch built model of the Great Eastern. I better hury -- I'm

Thanks for the kind words. This was supposed to be my final project, my master work if you will, But Imissed modelling so much that I have started the Esmeralda and amplanning a scratch built model of the Great Eastern. I better hurry -- I'm 77 and still working .

The sails were purchased from a Mamoli supplier. I searched for them for years before I found a set I think they were from Ages of Sail, but Mamoli manufactured them. Check ebay and other areas. I saw recently a british company that is making aftermarket detail kits for a number of models, including the revell Cutty Sark, and sails for various models were listed also. I must warn you -- they dont fit perfectly but were good enough. This is one of the few areas where I accepted any compromises. I bought them about 4 years ago for about $ 100 USD.

Be aware that if you do add salis you will need many more rigging points than shown in the plans. The Revell rigging plans are the best I have seen. I used slightly larger belaying pins than scale size. Other wise it would have been impossible. Most of my rigging line is crochet cord. It has a certain elasticity and holds up beautifully. Sew a ring in each corne for tying off, that way the integrity of the canvas is not disturbed.

Good luck and dont hesitate to ask for help. Dr Lou

So now,Dr. Lou, you are 78 and still ticking along. I just turned 81 and I decided that I will just keep working at whatever is at hand until the Grim reaper comes by and gives me The Whack. Whatever is unfinished can go where ever it ends up and maybe somebody will finish it. The thing is to keep at the models as best you can and as long as you can and BE HAPPY. Oh, wait, you're still 77 so you have an extra year to go. Ha!

Still working and building another model. Working on the Esmeralda hope to finish in two or three years. This Billing kit is totally different from any other as it is modern with laser cut wood. Easier but by no means easy. How are your projects coming along?

The Cutty is my main interest right now but there are four or five unfinished boats hanging around. The tuna clipper was finished but has become pretty beat up with all my moving around in the last few years. Repairs are needed but will have to wait on the Cutty Sark. I have a model of the Athena that was owned by Jim Clark of internet fame that is unfinished as well as a plastic square rigger, a self designed model of the gangster yacht in the movie Key Largo, a river pushboat that needs repair and some barges built to push, my Sterling Models 63' Chris Craft needs new motors and a PT boat conversion needs two new prop shaft connectors to make it run again. Several plastic model airplanes need repair too so I'll be busy for awhile. Then there is the stash to consider consisting of several Trumpeter ships of military design, another wood clipper ship, another push boat and a oil well off shore supply boat along with an unfinished train layout all of which should take me to the END with no trouble at all. Biggest problem is where to put the darned things after I finish with them.

I'm intereste in the book you are using for your Cutty Sark. Does it say what period of time it covers? Pete

Dr. Lou you mention the plans for the Revell clipper ship and I too have built that ship and use the plans often for other ships. They really are the best depiction of rigging that I've ever seen, Also what is the name of the Longidge and Underhill book? maybe I can get one some place. If they undertook the writing about the CS then they must have been near the ship at some point and written about what they actually saw I would think. That's probably the best way to go with this model.

Back