Cutty Sark (London, Greenwich)

At the end of 2019, I visited the Greenwich Museum and tried to photograph as many details as possible...

IMG_2374.jpg

Attachments

NMBROOK

Staff member

Thankyou for posting,excellent reference photos for anyone building the vessel.
I worked for the company that reinforced the hull structure after the fire and made the supports that "suspend" the ship.You will be amazed as to how much 40mm thick steel plate has been sandwiched between what little remained of the original framing and the outside planking.There is a belt that runs full length of the hull where the support struts sit.All of the plate had to be rolled to suit the hull curvature and we had to drill countless holes in it to bolt to the original structure as well as holes for the bolts that would hold the planks.I personally made the walkway that runs through the ships hold.I had to mock it up in the workshop and take it apart again as it had to be passed through a small access hatch on a trolley and then bolted together out of many small parts in the hold.
Those that visit the ship now will not realise how much of the original vessel was destroyed by the fire.I was privy to the photos of how bad the framing was and it wasn't a pretty sight.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Splendid photographs, thank you. Have I seen these on a Flickr account? F these are a 'new' set, that's tremendous!

Splendid photographs, thank you. Have I seen these on a Flickr account? F these are a 'new' set, that's tremendous!
Although I have an account with Flickr, since it is not free, I have drastically reduced the number of photos

Uwek

Administrative
Staff member
Administrative

Very interesting photos - many thanks for sharing with us
I would like to see this vessel also once in real