Cutty Sark - Tea clipper - 1:84 - Artesania Latina by Fred P. with improvements

Hello friends,
This tea clipper is well known by the modelists. Artesania Latina produces a great kit but some details deserve to be improved especially thanks to the many photos that can be found on the net.
I started construction in March 2018 and finished it in February 2019.
Here are the photos of the completed model:

IMG_3566.JPG

Cutty-Sark-350.jpgCutty-Sark-351.jpg

Cutty-Sark-352.jpg

Cutty-Sark-353.jpg

Cutty-Sark-354.jpg

Cutty-Sark-355.jpgCutty-Sark-129.jpgCutty-Sark-170.jpg

Cutty-Sark-356.jpg

Cutty-Sark-357.jpg

Cutty-Sark-358.jpg

Cutty-Sark-359.jpg

Cutty-Sark-360.jpg

Cutty-Sark-361.jpg

Cutty-Sark-362.jpg

Cutty-Sark-363.jpg

Cutty-Sark-318.jpg

Best regards
Fred

Hello friends,
This tea clipper is well known by the modelists. Artesania Latina produces a great kit but some details deserve to be improved especially thanks to the many photos that can be found on the net.
I started construction in March 2018 and finished it in February 2019.
Here are the photos of the completed model:

View attachment 229480

View attachment 229481View attachment 229482

View attachment 229483

View attachment 229484

View attachment 229485

View attachment 229486View attachment 229496View attachment 229497

View attachment 229487

View attachment 229488

View attachment 229489

View attachment 229490

View attachment 229491

View attachment 229492

View attachment 229493

View attachment 229494

View attachment 229495

Best regards
Fred
Hi Fred,
I have purchased the same model and contemplating coppering the hull below the waterline. I know the original ship was coppered and Billings paint theirs copper below the waterline, but Artesania do it as a natural timber. I was wondering if you considered doing that too?

Hi Rob,
In its current museum ship version, the hull is covered with brass, which gives it a somewhat kitsch effect. Before its restoration, the copper was very damaged, oxidized, torn in places. On the Artesania Latina model, the wood used is a red wood that looks a bit like copper. As I applied myself to making a neat planking, it bothered me a bit to cover everything with copper. So I'm going to leave it in wood.
Best Regards,
Fred

Beautifu ship Fredl!!!

Very nice model, the details are beautiful, the line of the Cutty itself is beautiful, but I was most impressed by the pictures of the deck, I've been thinking about doing that boat for a while and now I'm thinking about it again!

Good luck in your future work.

I have this kit in dry dock, bought mine many years ago when the hobby shop I learned this hobby from was shutting down due to family squabble, and they marked it down to about half costs from 20 years or more ago.

Hi Rob,
In its current museum ship version, the hull is covered with brass, which gives it a somewhat kitsch effect. Before its restoration, the copper was very damaged, oxidized, torn in places. On the Artesania Latina model, the wood used is a red wood that looks a bit like copper. As I applied myself to making a neat planking, it bothered me a bit to cover everything with copper. So I'm going to leave it in wood.
Best Regards,
Fred
Hi Fred,
As they have used such a timber, I tend to agree with you. Why cover such a beautiful timber with copper. I have several models of her in both plastic and wood. The Billings one I will probably copper plate as I do not believe the timber is as rich in colour and it's painted. I have the NR564 and waiting on the current version of her from Billings, which is about 2 months away, so plenty of time to research which copper plating I will use.

Regadrs
Rob

a very good made model - and also the photos are very interesting - very realistic with perspectives like on a real ship

Back