Cyanoacrylate

I don’t know whether any one else has had this problem with CA, But recently I have just bought some new stuff to try a quick build of a Couta boat, this is my second go at it with the first one in limbo when I couldn’t get my cedarplanks to follow the MDF forms without actually gluing the planks to them. in the second attempt I cut a new set of forms in plywood and I am trying to tack the planks both to each other and also to the forms. Perhaps I should explain that my intention is to epoxy coat the final planked hull both in and outside to give it strength and waterproof it as it intended to sail.
Anyway after laying the first few planks my nasal passages completely blocked up and as a result I had a shocking night with a completely blocked up nose and woke with a nasty sore throat, So did this mean that my body just can’t cope with CA? I have of course used it before in some small areas and had experienced some slight irritation but never as bad as this. I had an old silicon rubber dust mask and tried wearing that but it made no difference. so I searched the internet for alternative masks where interestingly most of them were currently not available I suppose because of Covid 19. I then typed in ‘nasal irritation because of CA‘ or words to that effect. and there was a simple solution. Point a small fan at the gluing area which will disperse the fumes so they are not concentrated in the hull area.. and it works! I just thought that I would share it in case anyone out there was struggling with the same issue. All the Best Tony

I have had a similar reaction to CA. I also noticed it with the kids at school. The first I noticed it was during a build of bridges for the school science Olympiad. I have had it since when building a wood DC-3 and a "lightening" sailboat. Usually, I have my face stuck right near the project so I can see what I'm doing, so breathing any fumes emitted would be an issue. I have noticed that when applying CA to wood, if I look closely, I can see a faint vapor or smoke or something coming from the freshly glued spot. I have never seen this happen when gluing plastic or metal (PE) to plastic, only when gluing wood. I now do use a small fan to move the air around the bench while CAing wood. I did try gluing wood projects in the spray booth and it worked well, except was a bit cumbersome.

EJ

Hi Tony,yes I have experienced this occasionally when doing a lot of assembly with CA for a prolonged period.Many do not think of the risk as it's risks are not over publicised.The glue was developed to carry out single "repairs" (on battlefield injuries) and little thought was given to side effects from prolonged use for construction.
I am halfway to developing an allergy to Epoxy resin and have to limit my exposure to that.I wear a full respirator if using a lot of this in one session.
I know of the smoke that EJ describes and believe this is part of the exothermic reaction you get.It is exaggerated when working on timber as timber contains a percentage of moisture.Moisture is an accelerant to curing CA.If you run out of CA accelerator,try using spit and you will see what I mean.

Kind Regards

Nigel

My question will be: is it a specific brand\bland of CA, ot this should related to all CA in general?

No Jim they are all the same stuff essentially.The odour free stuff is as well.Same nasties just can't smell them.The thinner CA's that dry quicker give off more fumes.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Very interesting thread, I have done soldering in past also and training video stated to have small fan nearby to move fumes from area.

As said earlier, head in close and above work to see what's going on makes it easier to get up the nose!

I don’t know whether any one else has had this problem with CA, But recently I have just bought some new stuff to try a quick build of a Couta boat, this is my second go at it with the first one in limbo when I couldn’t get my cedarplanks to follow the MDF forms without actually gluing the planks to them. in the second attempt I cut a new set of forms in plywood and I am trying to tack the planks both to each other and also to the forms. Perhaps I should explain that my intention is to epoxy coat the final planked hull both in and outside to give it strength and waterproof it as it intended to sail.
Anyway after laying the first few planks my nasal passages completely blocked up and as a result I had a shocking night with a completely blocked up nose and woke with a nasty sore throat, So did this mean that my body just can’t cope with CA? I have of course used it before in some small areas and had experienced some slight irritation but never as bad as this. I had an old silicon rubber dust mask and tried wearing that but it made no difference. so I searched the internet for alternative masks where interestingly most of them were currently not available I suppose because of Covid 19. I then typed in ‘nasal irritation because of CA‘ or words to that effect. and there was a simple solution. Point a small fan at the gluing area which will disperse the fumes so they are not concentrated in the hull area.. and it works! I just thought that I would share it in case anyone out there was struggling with the same issue. All the Best Tony
Never been a fan of this adhesive. Used it only on the odd occasion when it was that or stomp on the model in frustration. I see now why it bothered me so much. Felt the effects first in the nose and then the mild headache. Thanks for the information.

I stick , pardon the pun, to wood glue for all wood , just clamp properly. Not a great fan of CA with wood, it has its purpose but I try wood glue, so far, in my limited experience ok.

Tony I can so relate to this! I've developed a serious CA allergy all of the symptoms you describe. Apparently it's fairly common and it's a problem with doctors who use it to glue wounds o_O and beauticians who use it to glue on false eyelashes o_Oo_O (and I imagine a few of their clients!) The problem is that the more you are exposed, the worse your reaction becomes.

I've come to view CA as more of a convenience (e.g., securing rigging knots) than a necessity because there are alternatives which aren't as quick and easy but safer.

There are "odourless" CA glues that supposedly help and I used this one recently https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/zap-o-foam-safe-odourless-medium-ca-20g/20988704 It doesn't set as quickly and I still had an adverse reaction, but it took longer to hit and was less severe.

One thing I've wondered about--when I lived in the US I was using Jet CA (I can't find it anymore). It didn't smell at all like what I'm getting now and I never had a reaction. But everything I've found here causes a reaction. Has anyone seen Jet lately?

One thing I've wondered about--when I lived in the US I was using Jet CA (I can't find it anymore). It didn't smell at all like what I'm getting now and I never had a reaction. But everything I've found here causes a reaction. Has anyone seen Jet lately?
[/QUOTE]
Amazon appears to have it.

Stay safe,

Thanks Stu! That's the one I remember. Unfortunately the Amazon site says:

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Different people are sensitive to different things, but the solvent in a CA causes allergic reaction to many of us. Masks do not help. The only thing which helps is good ventilation, natural or forced.
János

I had a really bad reaction to CA and would suffer with hayfever like symptoms the following day after even the slightest exposure to the fumes
I spent a fortune trying all sorts of odorless and all different brands and brews
I have discovered Bob Smith gold works for me I can use it all afternoon with no problems. The only problem is that it is quite expensive but worth every penny
They do it in thick and thin and both are ok with me

I had a really bad reaction to CA and would suffer with hayfever like symptoms the following day after even the slightest exposure to the fumes
I spent a fortune trying all sorts of odorless and all different brands and brews
I have discovered Bob Smith gold works for me I can use it all afternoon with no problems. The only problem is that it is quite expensive but worth every penny
They do it in thick and thin and both are ok with me
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Hallo Tony alias @Tony W
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back