DE Agostini Vasa build by Spars

I am at Vasa build pack 2, stage 16 reinforcements and a decoration. Up to this point the instructions/pictures downloaded from the DeAgostini website have been clear. I use Titebond II glue in all applications. When bending wood shapes I score them then presoak them in a vinegar and water solution to aid in bending. I clamp the damp pieces in place and let them dry-usually overnight.
Any suggestions? Tools? I'm not sure a bend board like I saw at Micro Mark would be helpful.
BTW, I'm reserving the metal decorations for later as they require another set of skills.

Many thanks for starting the build log. We would love to see some progress photos. :)
I don't have a clue about how to do pictures. Mid June I get together to celebrate my(70), my grandson's(8) and granddaughter's(14) birthdays. He'll help out. To illustrate how bad off I am I went to Best Buy to get some film for my digital camera! LoL

FAILURE! Opening box 3, stage 18 and the firs sheet of parts is missing. I bought this when it was first offered by the month. I have tried to contact DeAgostini about other related issues and NEVER got a response. I do useir posted customer service information and reference the kit I am working on. I will try again.
Meanwhile I do have Mary Rose, purchased from JoToKa a couple years back. Maybe a run at that one, it being a Tudor warship which was also raised from the o0cean bed. virtually intact. Any recommendations/comments about either the DeAgostini or JoTiKa?

Last edited:
Thanx for the boost. I did do an email request referencing order# and listing the all missing part numbers. I tried to call today, Saturday but they do not work weekends, I guess. BTW, how long before you got parts?

Will do. Just hoping I don't have to put the build on hold. When I get to my son he'll be able to steer me on the picture process. So far, thru box 2 I've found no need to modify what the online instructions show. I'm using Titebond II which means slow going as I wait at least 8 hours between steps during which time I do my sanding and prefitting leaving the stamped part numbers visible for reference. I do the sanding with sanding sticks I purchased from Model Expo. As I sand I play '60's rock and roll and sing the words to my handicapped son. He gets a kick out of helping his dad.
BTW, which supplier has the truest colors for painting the metal parts? Do they need to be primed. I will wash them in dish detergent and let them dry overnight.

Last edited:
I am at Vasa build pack 2, stage 16 reinforcements and a decoration. Up to this point the instructions/pictures downloaded from the DeAgostini website have been clear. I use Titebond II glue in all applications. When bending wood shapes I score them then presoak them in a vinegar and water solution to aid in bending. I clamp the damp pieces in place and let them dry-usually overnight.
Any suggestions? Tools? I'm not sure a bend board like I saw at Micro Mark would be helpful.
BTW, I'm reserving the metal decorations for later as they require another set of skills.
I have used ammonia soaking ( the stronger the better at the market) to bend my planks very easily in very radical bends. The wood becomes like rubber. Be sure to let dry in position or the CA will foam up and not adhere well. The wood will become darker but will return to normal when dried. Good ventilation is advised.

Will do. Just hoping I don't have to put the b7uild on hold. When I get to my son he'll be able to steer me on the picture process. So far, thru box 2 I've found no need to modify what the online instructions show. I'm using Titebond II which means slow going as I wait at least 8 hours between steps during which time I do my sanding and prefitting leaving the stamped part numbers visible for reference. I do the sanding with sanding sticks I purchased from Model Expo. As I sand I play '60's rock and roll and sing the words to my handicapped son. He gets a kick out of helping his dad.
BTW, which supplier has the truest colors for painting the metal parts? Do they need to be primed. I will wash them in dish detergent and let them dry overnight.
Contact Sos member @Experten, I think he is an admin on the model space forum.

I have used ammonia soaking ( the stronger the better at the market) to bend my planks very easily in very radical bends. The wood becomes like rubber. Be sure to let dry in position or the CA will foam up and not adhere well. The wood will become darker but will return to normal when dried. Good ventilation is advised.
I use vinegar. Score the parts, let the parts soak overnight and when still wet clamp in place securely overnight to insure proper bend. Then glue. Why do I do it this way? Because, like Wilfred Brimley, I think its the right thing to do? LoL

Will do. Just hoping I don't have to put the b7uild on hold. When I get to my son he'll be able to steer me on the picture process. So far, thru box 2 I've found no need to modify what the online instructions show. I'm using Titebond II which means slow going as I wait at least 8 hours between steps during which time I do my sanding and prefitting leaving the stamped part numbers visible for reference. I do the sanding with sanding sticks I purchased from Model Expo. As I sand I play '60's rock and roll and sing the words to my handicapped son. He gets a kick out of helping his dad.
The love you have for your son is a beautiful thing to see.

RE: painting. Yes, they need to be washed (degreased) and primed. If you end up painting the metal parts in colors there is a helpful post on the Model Space Vasa builder's site: https://forum.us.model-space.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=26169. This is from the guy who does the official build.

I have also attached here the painting instructions from Artesania Latina. They just came out with their Vasa model kit but it is essentially identical to the DeAg kit. I believe AL was the manufacturer of the kit sold by DeAg and it seems their agreement with them has come to an end and they are now selling the kit directly. I think you will find it helpful.

Attachments

• Pintura de figuras - Figurines painting - peinture (1).pdf
    9.6 MB · Views: 23
I am enjoying your build Spars. Also, for specific DeAgostini issues, follow and contact Docattner - his ongoing build is exemplary and there is a growing number of Vasa models from this kit manufacturer.

For more general Vasa detail, you will find a wealth of information from other build logs on SOS, and other sources. Having the ship available in Sweden and the amount of research done on its various parts, history and documentation, it provides an excellent opportunity to do a lot of detailed, scratch ‘enhancement’.

Good luck and take your time, it doesn’t warrant rushing...

PeterG

The love you have for your son is a beautiful thing to see.

RE: painting. Yes, they need to be washed (degreased) and primed. If you end up painting the metal parts in colors there is a helpful post on the Model Space Vasa builder's site: https://forum.us.model-space.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=26169. This is from the guy who does the official build.

I have also attached here the painting instructions from Artesania Latina. They just came out with their Vasa model kit but it is essentially identical to the DeAg kit. I believe AL was the manufacturer of the kit sold by DeAg and it seems their agreement with them has come to an end and they are now selling the kit directly. I think you will find it helpful.
I'll check out the DeAgostini site again for the paint information as to vendor , brushes and so on. I'm still rummaging thru the other boxes for the missing part sheet. It could be my handicapped son put them 'away' for me as he has a habit of doing. At the upcoming four person birthday celebration I will pick my son's brains for posting pics-equipment, how to, and so on.
BTW, I use a Ryobi LED trouble light for additional illumination. I prefer daylight intensity as it is the brightest offered as warm white is the most yellow, natural is midrange and daylight the most white.

Hey Spars. I was missing some things too. I was able to contact them and get replacements. Start here: https://www.model-space.com/us/contacts.

You can also email them at: customerservice@deagostiniusa.com or even call them directly M-F at (877) 544-6779 in the US.

They will want to know the exact "bag/stage" that is missing.

Hope this helps.
Wonder of wonders. My handicapped son put the parts sheet 'away'. He functions about age three(he is 43 now) and does what dad does, so he puts things away. I am waiting to see if I get an email response in 48 business hours as the site says. In any event I am on my way again. I work in the morning before we go outside. I am reading Olof Cederlund/Fred Hocker Vasa I for backround and inspiration. Seems Vasa and Mary Rose have some things in common like monarch ambition placing desire above nautical architecture as it was understood then and both being time capsules as if meant to be rediscovered.

Hallo @Spars
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

I wasn't so lucky as Doc. After 5 months and a couple of boxes of repeated parts I returned my Vasa.

Was at the start of the COVID issue. There was an offer for the full kit. I got all my boxes together. As I was planning to build the Vasa after retirement, I did a carefully checking and inventory of all the boxed parts. Many were missing. I sent all the data, as Doc wrote, not once , MANY TIMES. After each wrong shipment I was sending it again. After 50+emails and 5 months and 2 boxes of incorrect parts (they always sent me something, but not the missing parts), I returned the full kit and I was fully reimbursed.

It was at the first peak of the COVID issue. They always attended my calls, requests and emails. BUT, in England someone was always packing what they wanted.

Then I ordered the sovereign of the seas.

All, minus box #4 arrived. Big phone discussion. Box 4 was in backorder without any potential day of being delivery. In other words, they didn't have an idea when box 4 will be available. They took my money and never told me that issue. Ok, I breathe and checked box 1. Right away had missing parts. A new call and the full kit went back for reimbursement again.

I had a real bad experience with that company.

Follow Doc suggestions. Open the boxes "NOT THE BAGS" and do an inventory and claim any missing part right away.

I think I just had a very bad luck. All people crazy at the start of COVID last year and the England office probably was a mess.

Doc got his parts, as he wrote. And is doing a fantastic job on his Vasa

You will too !!!!

All the best
Daniel

Vasa pack3, stage 21: Bought a camera and will post pics soon. As I posted earlier there will be no decoration. I an slowing down to capture the 'guts' of the build with all wrinkles and blemishes. I have to admit this is going easier than I imagined. Buying tools, mostly from Micro Mark while my trusty cat CatMan keeps watch. Leaving the metalwork for later, again trimmed so as to be presentable. Next build may be either Charles Morgan(ModelExpo) or Mary Rose(JoTiKa).

Back