"De Zeven Provincien" 1:100 (scratch) - Seahorse New Design [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello all,

no, no, the ship of "7 Provinces" did not sink :) I just designed and glued "Armed Virginia Sloop" in the meantime, so you understand ...
So I entered the most difficult stage, which is the stern gallery. The most difficult, because I did not glue such twisted "houses".

I started with a simple frame of side galleries and prepared the whole thing outside the model. I find it much easier than working directly on the hull. This stage was not very laborious yet (although the fourth attempt was finaly successful). The galleries received some decorative stripes and a roof made of individual stripes "overlapped". All gaps and unretouched edges will be covered with carvings, so it is so much easier that minor imperfections are acceptable.

The prepared gallery was fitted to the side with the assumption that the rear surface meets the main surface of the entire stern.
On this I mounted the tower (I glued and designed it only twice :) and covered it with a striped roof.

And it's time to close the whole gallery. The strip with windows is 0.5 mm cardboard to give the window frames a little more three-dimensional, to hide and "smooth" the joining of the side galleries and to facilitate the gluing of other indecently bent parts. Below the windows is "slingerlijst", bent and "slanted" in such a complex way that what I was able to design in Rhino has nothing to do with what I was able to stick. But it is there and it does not fall off :) Under the windows (inside) there are narrow arch-shaped ribs, on which the final layer with drawings is supported. And on it, of course, decorative stripes :))) And for everything that has already been done, about 70 sculptures (in words: seventy) will be glued.

Unfortunately, for two weeks I have been looking for an answer to the question: "Why did I make the lower surfaces of the side galleries brown instead of green?" I did not find the answer, but also I do not find enough enthusiasm to do the galleries again just because the color on these parts is incorrect. They should be greenish, but they are not and will stay that way.

greetings
Tomek

Hi everybody!
I had a long break in building, but in the meantime "Wodnik" was created, so I'm a bit excused. I went back to "De Zeven Provincien" and I just hope to finish the model without any more breaks or "side jumps". Apart from the huge amount of decorations, there is not much left to do on the hull itself: top planking, head, handrails ...

I glued the bulwarks, added the decks and set up the bulkheads. The work is so simple that there is nothing to write home about.
bulwark 01.jpg
bulwark.jpg

The head took more effort.
Because the knee of the head narrowed (and you can turn a blind eye to it with small models of small vessels) and here the difference in thickness was so significant that I glued it together in a "box" method: long narrow triangles at the top and bottom are glued between the side surfaces and thanks to this, the thickness at the hull is ~ 4 mm and ~2mm at the end. Cheeks and gammoning knee are typically made of cardboard of an appropriate thickness.
beak01.jpg
beak02.jpg
beak03.jpg
beak04.jpg
beak05.jpg
Greetings
Tomek

Very accurate work Thumbsup
For me it is everytime surprising, what you guys are able to make with cardboard ....

Hi,
Thank you for opinions and comments.

The more I do, the more there is to do - some paradox :)

So I finished up the planking on the sides and "closed" it with the rails (of course it's just the lower part of the handrail), which I ambitiously made in a printed standard without painting. There is some "pecking" and dugout, but it was worth it.
The upper planking made with an overlap plamks was supposed to be easy, but it took a lot of time (try-on - retouch - slow sticking). These "boards" are 0.4 mm thick, as it seemed reasonable (so that it was not a thin cardboard and you could see some faults), but if you add inaccuracies, the thickness of the glue and other mistakes, it was probably better to make it from cardboard 0 , 3 mm. Anyway, it is already stuck and I will not tear it off. I missed retouching in a few places, but it can be fixed.
boazeria01.jpg

boazeria02.jpg

boazeria04.jpg

I also started making bulkheads, which will be covered with boards such as the sides. I added doors and posts, between which it will be necessary to fit this "paneling". Then sculptures will appear on the posts.
grodzie 01.jpg

And here is the biggest challenge. All bas-reliefs can be made on thicker cardboard, ambitious people will often plasticize it with thick glue, modeling clay or milliput. But I still have no idea how to design full 3D figures in the "cardboard standard": two lions at the top of the stern between which there is a "holy maiden" and something like Zeus above the galleries. Various attempts may take a long time, so for now I am trying to decorate taffrail and here I would like to thank my friend Tomasz Król (he is also a designer of cardboard models and a painter, many kit covers are of his works), who, using his magic powers, drew a plasticized version.
lustro kolor red.jpg
lustro 03.jpg
So above there is an option for the lazy modelers - all on one surface, and a multi-layer version for the more ambitious ones. The masters will make it on their own carving in wood and other masses. I will probably stay at the intermediate version, because I wouldn't be able to make hand drawings on every single coat-of-arms.
And the port side (this one looks a bit better :):

boazeria05.jpg

Greetings
Tomek

And again a little update.

At this stage, I have always had a problem with handrails with a lot of posts, which are difficult to prepare to be identical and fit. So this time I made them in the form of 1 mm thick "combs" glued in pairs, to which I glued 0.5 mm thick strips at the upper edge and masked the whole thing from the top with a 3 mm wide strip. To make it more understandable, below is a piece of such a handrail and the effect in the photo.
grzebienie.jpg
poręcze 01.jpg
A much stronger solution. And how long does it take to cut these combs out of 1mm cardboard? I don't know, because I cut it with a laser But if you think about cutting many posts to the right size and giving them appropriate bevels at the ends, the workload may be comparable.

Another batch of boards appeared on previously prepared bulkheads. Unfortunately, I did not retouch the side edges of each board (they were supposed to "hide" between the beams) and you can see some white spots. I hope that the carvings will hide it a bit and "soften" it.
grodzie 03.jpg
The time has finally come to close the stern. From two layers, I prepared the entire bas-relief and glued it to the taffrail (asymmetrical - I know, but it will stay that way). On the edges, I glued thin strips (0.5 x 1.0 mm) to mask any inaccuracies. And just like with the side handrails, I also made the stern one in the form of a "comb", additionally engraving a small pattern. I am always afraid at this stage that all dimensions have been lost, and here is a real surprise: the laser-cut aft handrail fit literally without any adjustments. Finally, there are the horizontal protruding ends of this aft handrail, and this is how she looks today:
rufa 11.jpg
rufa 12.jpg
rufa 13.jpg

Greetings
Tomek

Great work, Tomasz!

The D7P does look very fine - will you offer a hull kit?
spiegel-van-het-schip-de-zeven-provincien-willem-van-de-velde-i-1665-03a66867.jpg
So WE -the less expirienced builders- could following the
The_Dutch_ship_Zeven_Provincien,_by_Willem_van_de_Velde_the_elder (1).jpg
trusted old Van de Velden paintings and be successfull. So alternativly a rigged kit option for the more gifted guys or those with more patience or ambitions or better eyes would be something highly recomended in the Card builders society.

By this prepacked boxes the customers do not have to search their way all through the onlineshop if everything for the build is for shure in their basket (like LC-frames, gunbarrels, carriage parts, detailling set, masts, ropes, sails, flags, lamps &t.) and nothing had to be reordered.
This is often done from the plastic kits publishers nowerdays - perchange the card fraction may geather arround this solution, too?

Thanks a lot for your view over the shoulder onto your brench. I highly appreachiate your work (and your Virginia sloop is still in it's way towards me :-D ).

(As you are one of the Producers of our joys you may be interested in some wishlist - perhaps the admins do take this part into a seperaten threat if you donot Like to have it in here.) A wishlist were more geat baroque ships like the easier to build
392299bf089fec6bbce0a3a39b0f7a4a.jpg
Dutch Dunnkirk fregats are to be found...

images (49).jpeg
or ship's Like the English TIGER to get a counterpart to D7P for a Diorama -
and showing the decorational differences.

With this transom to my mind does come the strange idea of adding smaller and smaller layers of LC-cut paper and than painting it with thick colour to fill the steps and you get close to a good Imitation of such a carved part. But is this micro-bread-and-butter technicque possible if we add two holes for a needels to keep everything alinghed?

Just my wishes...
And the D7P is in my Christmas wishlist a top. Hopefully my Admirality does put some budget in this...

Last edited:
Hello everybody.

I apologize to everyone who waited for my reply to the comments and ideas proposed by Christian ("Iterum"), but we started a discussion via e-mail and nothing appeared in the forum.
Certainly, the published models will appear both in the form of complete sets and free selection of individual accessories and additions.
The issue of publishing plans is more complex due to the time needed to design larger models (as exemplified by the construction of "De Zeven Provincien"). In the near future (year) I will certainly return to smaller (less time-consuming) vessels, but there will come a day when, perhaps in the form of cooperation, a larger ship will appear again.

Thank you for your praise and comments about current work on "De Zeven Provincien". I did not show the building progress for quite a long time, because I wanted to finish the entire hull so that it would not dazzle the eyes with white "spots" of unfinished fragments. And it almost worked :)

21.09.21 01.jpg

Transverse handrails closing the decks and decorative slats were laser cut / engraved and painted yellow ocher. Perhaps they can be enriched with additional colors, but for me they will stay in such a "raw" style.
poręcze 06.jpg

The completion of the hull was hindered by the unfinished artillery in the bow part, due to my laziness and reluctance to twist subsequent barrels from paper. To solve the problem of... laziness... I bought a 3D printer and the barrels are ready :))
set of barrels.jpg
lufa 7p 36-pounder.jpg

Then a bakdek appeared and with it I could finish the bow bulkhead.
21.09.21 05M.jpg

It took a long time to work on the head and the entire platform in the bow, but I managed to finish that too. As of today in the photos:
21.09.21 02M.jpg
21.09.21 03M.jpg
21.09.21 06M.jpg
21.09.21 07M.jpg
Greetings
Tomek

Hi everyone.

Recently, I haven't had much time to continue building, so progress has been slow as well. Bakdek already has gretings, I set up the artillery amidships and tried on the boat, built similarly to Wodnik / Meerman, but larger (Meerman / Wodnik)
midship02.jpg

After many attempts, I decided to make bas-reliefs in the simplest form, i.e. scratches glued on a thicker cardboard. Looking at the effect, it seems that all of them had to be stuck to 1.0 mm cardboard, because some of them are too "thin". The largest sculptures will be made of several parts (if I can design it), and as a last resort, I ordered a design prepared for 3D printing. Time will show which solution is the best. Currently, the stern looks like this.
rzezby 02.jpg
rzezby 01.jpg
rzezby 03.jpg

All comments will be appreciated

Greetings
Tomek

Hallo Tomek,
I am not a cardboard model builder - for me is is looking very good.
Comments are from your side appreciated, so therefore I would like to make one, based only on a feeling, but not knowing the possibilities and techniques used in this field of meodeling.
Partly the "carvings" are looking for me too 2-dimensional....... especially the two rows of figurines (green arrows)
rzezby 03.jpg

would it be possible to add here and there a second layer with parts of the figurines, like hair / head or the yellow shield - somehow similar like you did it on the lion legs and head (red arrows) ?

To get a little bit more of the 3rd dimension...... just a feeling

Hallo Tomek,
I am not a cardboard model builder - for me is is looking very good.
Comments are from your side appreciated, so therefore I would like to make one, based only on a feeling, but not knowing the possibilities and techniques used in this field of meodeling.
Partly the "carvings" are looking for me too 2-dimensional....... especially the two rows of figurines (green arrows)
View attachment 268995

would it be possible to add here and there a second layer with parts of the figurines, like hair / head or the yellow shield - somehow similar like you did it on the lion legs and head (red arrows) ?

To get a little bit more of the 3rd dimension...... just a feeling
Hi Uwe,
you are absolutely right that you can put a few additional layers on these sculptures, which will add three dimensions. One of the friends who painted this part with lions and coats of arms will correct my 10 year old child drawings, face proportions, add shading... Then I will think about which parts can be additionally glued and I will add them separately. Note that it was enough to bold this pedestal centrally at the stern under the coat of arms of the Amsterdam admiralty (I think that's it) and it is more spacious right away. You can even stick a thin strip there and it will be even better. I treat this model as a test, so I'm simplifying some parts. Anyway, not every modeller has the skills and patience to make several dozen sculptures (because they are not all yet) with each of the smaller parts. This is the simplest version

Tomek

The Zeven Provincien sailed under the Admiralty of the Maze (Rotterdam), not Amsterdam.:)

Back