"De Zeven Provincien" 1:100 (scratch) - Seahorse New Design [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello,

I start the design of the model "De Zeven Provincien". This is my second trial, I was not satisfied wit the first attempt.
Short and meaningful information about "De Zeven Provincien" once written by Ab Hoving, which I will use as a quote:
"... De 7 Provinciën was built in 1665 in Rotterdam as the new flagship for the famous Dutch admiral Michiel de Ruyter (1607-1767), who sailed it from 1666-1674. Its measurements were 163 x 43 x 16.5 Amsterdam feet ( 46.13 x 12.17 x 4.67 m), it carried 80 guns, its displacement was 1600 tons and there was a crew of 420 men aboard.

The name was chosen because of the seven counties that fought the 80-years war of liberation against the Spanish from 1568 to 1648. The united country had also freed itself from the Catholic Church and nobility and the name is a tribute to an organization, which proved its right of existence without a ruling king between 1649 and 1672. In that year stadtholder Willem III, Prince of Orange, the later king of England William III (1650-1702), returned to Holland.
The ship fought in the second (1665-1667) and third (1672-1674) Anglo-Dutch Wars and took part in the Four-Days Battle (1666), The Two-Days Battle (1666), the Chatham Raid (1667) , the Battle of Solebay (1672), the Battle of Schooneveld (1673) and the Battle of the Texel (1673). In 1674 the ship even visited the West-Indies. In 1692 she fought in the Battle of Barfleur and was broken up in 1694.

The lines of the model were reconstructed by Ab Hoving, Herbert Tomesen and drawn by Cor Emke in 2006. They were based on both contemporary Dutch shipbuilding literature and specification contracts of comparable ships of those days. Also earlier publications by G.C Dik and O. Blom were used in the new design. It was intended to rebuild the ship that was put on the stocks of the Bataviawerf in Lelystad, Holland, in 1996 which project appeared to fail in the beginning of this century. Though great progress was made in the first three years the revived project was stopped because of a lack of money ... "

So let's sail now!

The frame made of millimeter cardboard up to the height of the deck with the graceful name verdek. The next higher decks (halfdek and bakdek) will be added later and supported on beams and posts.
Below is the overloop deck with the heaviest artillery and the lowest one, which is invisible. So I painted these interios that will be visible through the open gun ports and pasted there simplified gun carriages. The guns will be seen only on the left side, the the right one will be "closed".
szkielet 1.jpg

First vertical plating:
poprzeczne.jpg

I wanted to reproduce the thickness of the boards (on a scale of about 1.0 mm), which edges will be visible, e.g. in open gunports, and that is why I put two layers of longitudinal plating. The first made of cardboard of 0.5 mm thickness, into which I fitted the gun port frames ...
podłuzne 1st 02.jpg

... and then a second layer of cardboard 0.7 mm ....
podluzne 2nd 01.jpg

Only now I glued the final colored planks on such a "double -underplanking". It is not perfect, there are places where my skills have simply let me down and in the unfavorable light you can see small faults between the neighboring boards. The effect would be much better if I treated the hull with a putty, but ...
dno 02.jpg
dno 05.jpg
dno 07a.jpg

In order not to destroy the model by continuous rotation / sliding / squeezing in subsequent stages, if possible, I will "wander" gradually upwards, which is why I started with the rudder and transom.
rufa white 01.jpg
ster 02.jpg
rufa 03a.jpg

That's all for now.
Best
Tomek

Absolutely agree with Zoly, a very interesting project, indeed! Will be watching for sure...great job thus far! Thumbsup

Great and interesting start - will watch with big interest

It was intended to rebuild the ship that was put on the stocks of the Bataviawerf in Lelystad, Holland, in 1996 which project appeared to fail in the beginning of this century. Though great progress was made in the first three years the revived project was stopped because of a lack of money ... "

But they saw a model in 1:10 - that looks fantastic! I saw it two years ago when it was almost done.

Hello,

I start the design of the model "De Zeven Provincien". This is my second trial, I was not satisfied wit the first attempt.
Short and meaningful information about "De Zeven Provincien" once written by Ab Hoving, which I will use as a quote:
"... De 7 Provinciën was built in 1665 in Rotterdam as the new flagship for the famous Dutch admiral Michiel de Ruyter (1607-1767), who sailed it from 1666-1674. Its measurements were 163 x 43 x 16.5 Amsterdam feet ( 46.13 x 12.17 x 4.67 m), it carried 80 guns, its displacement was 1600 tons and there was a crew of 420 men aboard.

The name was chosen because of the seven counties that fought the 80-years war of liberation against the Spanish from 1568 to 1648. The united country had also freed itself from the Catholic Church and nobility and the name is a tribute to an organization, which proved its right of existence without a ruling king between 1649 and 1672. In that year stadtholder Willem III, Prince of Orange, the later king of England William III (1650-1702), returned to Holland.
The ship fought in the second (1665-1667) and third (1672-1674) Anglo-Dutch Wars and took part in the Four-Days Battle (1666), The Two-Days Battle (1666), the Chatham Raid (1667) , the Battle of Solebay (1672), the Battle of Schooneveld (1673) and the Battle of the Texel (1673). In 1674 the ship even visited the West-Indies. In 1692 she fought in the Battle of Barfleur and was broken up in 1694.

The lines of the model were reconstructed by Ab Hoving, Herbert Tomesen and drawn by Cor Emke in 2006. They were based on both contemporary Dutch shipbuilding literature and specification contracts of comparable ships of those days. Also earlier publications by G.C Dik and O. Blom were used in the new design. It was intended to rebuild the ship that was put on the stocks of the Bataviawerf in Lelystad, Holland, in 1996 which project appeared to fail in the beginning of this century. Though great progress was made in the first three years the revived project was stopped because of a lack of money ... "

So let's sail now!

The frame made of millimeter cardboard up to the height of the deck with the graceful name verdek. The next higher decks (halfdek and bakdek) will be added later and supported on beams and posts.
Below is the overloop deck with the heaviest artillery and the lowest one, which is invisible. So I painted these interios that will be visible through the open gun ports and pasted there simplified gun carriages. The guns will be seen only on the left side, the the right one will be "closed".
View attachment 145568

First vertical plating:
View attachment 145569

I wanted to reproduce the thickness of the boards (on a scale of about 1.0 mm), which edges will be visible, e.g. in open gunports, and that is why I put two layers of longitudinal plating. The first made of cardboard of 0.5 mm thickness, into which I fitted the gun port frames ...
View attachment 145570

... and then a second layer of cardboard 0.7 mm ....
View attachment 145571

Only now I glued the final colored planks on such a "double -underplanking". It is not perfect, there are places where my skills have simply let me down and in the unfavorable light you can see small faults between the neighboring boards. The effect would be much better if I treated the hull with a putty, but ...
View attachment 145572
View attachment 145573
View attachment 145574

In order not to destroy the model by continuous rotation / sliding / squeezing in subsequent stages, if possible, I will "wander" gradually upwards, which is why I started with the rudder and transom.
View attachment 145575
View attachment 145576
View attachment 145577

That's all for now.
Best
Tomek
Very nice work Tomek.
One remark, the name of the vessel is spelled wrong and should be Zeven Provinciën, see attached the link to the Van de Velde drawing of the ship.

Wh
Very nice work Tomek.
One remark, the name of the vessel is spelled wrong and should be Zeven Provinciën, see attached the link to the Van de Velde drawing of the ship.
Where is the link?

Thank you Maarten for paying attention to this detail. I build the model mainly based on the plans I received from Ab Hoving (thank you Ab for permanent help and patience) and the word "Provinciye" is very clear there. So I asked Ab about the right form. I will not find his answer at the moment, but I understood that in the old Dutch language (as in most other old forms of languages) there were no strict rules and such a version is quite likely. You guess Dutch is not a language I know, so I rely on the opinions of people who know more then me. But maybe it was actually an "e" with dots ...
PS. I probably won't tear off this name so as not to damage the model.

Best
Tomek
provin.jpg

If Ab says so, then it will be the case. He had free acces to the original Van de Velde drawing as curator ship models of the Rijksmuseum and is an expert on the topic.

In the 17th century spelling rules were not in place yet in the Dutch language and you see a lot of different spelling of words in contemporary sources.
I have read original 17th century books and even in one book you see different spelling of the same words.
This spelling of provincien I hadnt seen before.

Of course I know these drawings. Thank you for all your hints. Although I do not reproduce details and equipment inside (only on verdek, which is visible) Otte Blom drawings are very helpful. Comparing drawings of several reconstruction attempts shows how many interpretations there can be.

Regards
Tomek

Of course I know these drawings. Thank you for all your hints. Although I do not reproduce details and equipment inside (only on verdek, which is visible) Otte Blom drawings are very helpful. Comparing drawings of several reconstruction attempts shows how many interpretations there can be.

Regards
Tomek
And there were plenty, I already have three. First was G.C. Dick who wrote a beautifull book incl a set of drawings, then there are drawing of the dutch modelbuilders society and the drawings of Otte Blom. And now I hear you got yours from Ab Hoving, so set number 4 all with there differences.

No Maarten, the late Cor Emke made the set of drawings in the Dutch Modelbuilders archive on the basis the new design for the Lelystad De 7 Provinciën. The first effort to build the ship stopped in 2005 and in that year I designed plans for a new start together with Herbert Tomesen from Artitec. Emke translated this design into his drawings. The drawings I gave to Tomek were simply the same, he just did not have to go the the Model builders Society to get them :).

No Maarten, the late Cor Emke made the set of drawings in the Dutch Modelbuilders archive on the basis the new design for the Lelystad De 7 Provinciën. The first effort to build the ship stopped in 2005 and in that year I designed plans for a new start together with Herbert Tomesen from Artitec. Emke translated this design into his drawings. The drawings I gave to Tomek were simply the same, he just did not have to go the the Model builders Society to get them :).
Aha that clarifies, then we stay with the three I already had on mind.

Hello after a long break.

Progress is hardly visible, mainly because the preparation of "Leudo" for release took me (as usual) 4 times more time than I expected. But something has been built, so some photos of the progress on de Ruyter's flagship are.

The sides rose very slowly, more the right one, where the gun ports will be closed.

It was all glued as in the photo below:
1 - the first plating layer which extends above the deck
2 - brackets
3 - "spacer" strips on the deck
4 - inner bulwark planks (amidships)
5 - next outer layers

16.06.20_13.jpg

The gunports frames were gradually glued into the bulwark prepared in this way. And it worked, because even if there were slight shifts in relation to the internal and external openings, pasting separate individual parts of the frames hid and eliminated minor errors.
16.06.20_04.jpg

The front wall was created, but now it has only a structural role and you still have to wait for its decoration and charm:
16.06.20_12.jpg

I don't even remember why, but I glued some parts of the planking three or even four times:
or I printed the wrong version and after gluing something did not fit, or I wanted to change something, and after gluing I came to the conclusion that the previous version was better, etc. etc. The strained material can be seen e.g. at the last gunport at the stern:
16.06.20_06.jpg

I put in the gratings and some of the gun carriages.

Some artillery will be hardly visible, so I treated it as a sample. However, midship artillery will be printed and cut out manually - it will take more time, but I'm expect a better effect. It is comforting that you can use 2 mm blocks - you will always see what you are doing without a microscope:
16.06.20_10.jpg
16.06.20_11.jpg

16.06.20_02.jpg

16.06.20_07.jpg

16.06.20_08.jpg

Best wishes
Tomek

Hi.
A lot of work and no visible changes.
I worked on the armaments, which will be a bit visible. Some gun carriages are painted, others glued as standard from printed parts. I made gun barrels in an old-fashioned way from rolled paper and wire rings. I used tiny laser blocks for rigging and now it all looks quite proportionate:

30.06.20 10.jpg 30.06.20 09.jpg

I glued the sides with planks to the height from which the planking would be "overlapped", I added wales and another deck (halfdek). A few pictures without unnecessary writing:
30.06.20 01a.jpg
30.06.20 03.jpg30.06.20 05.jpg30.06.20 06.jpg30.06.20 08.jpg

Tomek

Back