DeAgostini Sovereign of the Sea's 1/84 scale, by neptune [ Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its been hot here for the last week or so, I was hoping to get out to the shed and cut some wood for making the frames for my Steam Drifter, but I have had to stay inside in my hobby room, so i continued on with the SOS, which means Sovereign of The Sea's, or as in my case by the time I am finished with her she will be know as the SOS which may mean Some Other Ship,

View attachment 212273
I started doing the bottom planks by the keel, the instructions say to cut the planks in the middle of a frame,
but what i do is the above,

View attachment 212274
and a close up, the plank has to be twisted to conform to the frames,

View attachment 212276
while waiting for the glue to dry I trimmed and sanded the transom planking,

View attachment 212277
a close up of the work on the after end,

Hi John,

Have you considered to fillup her buttocks to give the stern a nicer shape then in the plans of deagostini. I think with a block of balsa or bass wood you can give her a nice facelift.

I never did figure out what species of wood they provided. It wasn't bamboo (didn't have the tubular structure) but it was fairly easy to work with (basswood?). Some pieces would split and the darker pieces simply would not bend at all - they just snapped. The problem wasn't the wood supplied - the problem was me trying to figure out how to manage the bluff bow. On the second planking I changed to pear.

This is real bamboo wood (2nd level floor of my house). Was expensive. Does not have any tubular shape. You can see the bamboo strips glued together. Like 5 for each section.

I didn't have any idea Banboo was used in ship modeling. Just this is the first time I heard about it.

20210211_093107.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

This is real bamboo wood (2nd level floor of my house). Was expensive. Does not have any tubular shape. You can see the bamboo strips glued together. Like 5 for each section.

I didn't have any idea Banboo was used in ship modeling. Just this is the first time I heard about it.

View attachment 212513

Cheers
Daniel
The tubular structure appears in the end grain - not on the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back