Decal Assistance.

Here is my question. I have decal 'paper' I can run through my inkjet printer and make my own decals, it works well. However, I need to make some decals with white ink as well as black. Does anyone have a simple solution? Because I cannot find white ink for my printer. I have a HP8600 it uses HP951 cartridges. Obviously, I can paint them but decals would be easier, and I am not that good at detail painting.

So a little background, I was on the Spruance class destroyer USS Harry W. Hill (DD-986) I am working on getting one model (plastic) of every class of ship that was in Desert Storm, so I have a USS Spruance (DD-963) kit, just need to change out the hull numbers. Same with the Ranger (CV-61), I have a kit for the Saratoga (CV-60) both the same class of ship.

Thanks,

There is no such thing as white ink. If your decal paper is clear then buy white decal paper, any areas that need to be white the printer will just not print in these areas leaving them white
Thank you!

So next question. So my first hull number is 986, each digit has a 'hole in it, also these are all 1/700 scale so; should I try to match Modern Navy Hazy gray with printer or should try to cut it out of the center.

By the way the first picture is us returning to San Diego, in July '91. The second picture is the Ranger and us refueling from the USS Kansas City, Jan 15th 1991. Last UNREP prior to transiting the Straights of Hormuz on Jan 16th. And the Air War started at 3AM Jan 17th local time.

Attachments

• Hill July 91 returing to SD.jpg
    Hill July 91 returing to SD.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Ranger and Kansas City 2.jpg
    Ranger and Kansas City 2.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I had a similar problem with British Navy rondels for a Corsair 4FU. I created a light grey background on the edge of the rondel as a cut line. For the outer blue circle of the rondel, I simply left it coloured using the colour elements found on the Internet. I bought the inkjet paper from Amazon, that's also available in matt finish -

Self Adhesive Photo Paper Glossy - Uinkit 100 Sheets Sticky Inkjet Paper 8.5x11 6.5Mil 130G for Inkjet Printing Only​

Voila

Attachments

• RAF rondel full page.jpg
    RAF rondel full page.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 10
Here is my question. I have decal 'paper' I can run through my inkjet printer and make my own decals, it works well. However, I need to make some decals with white ink as well as black. Does anyone have a simple solution? Because I cannot find white ink for my printer. I have a HP8600 it uses HP951 cartridges. Obviously, I can paint them but decals would be easier, and I am not that good at detail painting.

So a little background, I was on the Spruance class destroyer USS Harry W. Hill (DD-986) I am working on getting one model (plastic) of every class of ship that was in Desert Storm, so I have a USS Spruance (DD-963) kit, just need to change out the hull numbers. Same with the Ranger (CV-61), I have a kit for the Saratoga (CV-60) both the same class of ship.

Thanks,
Hallo @ShadeTreeWelder
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back