Deck planking ?'s

On a scale of 1/90, can the caulking and deck nailing really be seen? I realize in the end it is ultimately up to me, but just wanted to get some other opinions. I've seen so many cut the planks into approx. 80mm lenghts and then they get all zig-zagged and just not straight and it seems to look terrible. Thank you

start with this topic it might give you some answers about nailing deck planks

start with this topic it might give you some answers about nailing deck planks
Thank you

OK, I am building the Santisima Trinidad Cross Section in 1:90 scale with cut deck planking, you can look at my build log and see what you thing of deck planking job.

Per other examples in build logs, I precut my deck planking to length and used black paint on one side and end, painted in stacks of about ten planks at a time clamped together. I learned this from another build log.

For treenails, i just poked a thumb tack into the wood to make indent before I stained, they are slightly visible, there but don't stand out much.

Hi Ken
At the scale of 1/90,I would just use a pencil on one side for caulking and no treenail representation.going by the scale,I assume it is a kit you are building,how wide is the deck planking material?I ask because kit makers have a habit of supplying too wide a strip for the deck.If you scale the true plank width,you may realise that treenailing will look out of scale.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Ken
At the scale of 1/90,I would just use a pencil on one side for caulking and no treenail representation.going by the scale,I assume it is a kit you are building,how wide is the deck planking material?I ask because kit makers have a habit of supplying too wide a strip for the deck.If you scale the true plank width,you may realise that treenailing will look out of scale.

Kind Regards

Nigel
4mm wide

Honestly? In my experience, we would not see caulking or treenails at this scale. I would not try to simulate either. Not knowing how you will finish the deck, I would simply plank the deck using scale lengths, let the natural edge joints serve as caulking (enhancing the edges with black would actually look out of scale), and not try to simulate treenails...then poly the deck which will enhance some of the detail sufficiently to look good and be fairly accurate for the scale.

Hi mate,
when I did my deck planks I think I cut them at 80mm as per the mamoli plans then fitted them brick pattern. When i visited the Victory to get some reference photos I realised my mistake..
but who is ever going to see my model who knows the truth?

it's a personal thing!!P1010320.JPGP1010296.JPGP1010322.JPG

Last edited:
Back