Decking Timber needed

I need some 1X4mm deck planking for a cross section I'm building unfortunately I cant find any. Anyone have a resource where I can get some I need approx. 40 pieces @24" long
Id prefer a light color but at this point I don't care I just want to get this wretched build done, unfortunately the kit supplied wood was cut improperly and is completely unusable for anything other kindling.

I need some 1X4mm deck planking for a cross section I'm building unfortunately I cant find any. Anyone have a resource where I can get some I need approx. 40 pieces @24" long
Id prefer a light color but at this point I don't care I just want to get this wretched build done, unfortunately the kit supplied wood was cut improperly and is completely unusable for anything other kindling.

Hello Joe,Lumberyard

Hi Joe, you can get this and any many different kinds of lumber and sizes from THE LUMBERYARD, JUST email Dave Stevens wife Ev she will take your order, I will post her email shortly.Don

I was on his site but he didn't have the metric size but I kept his site opened because he does have 1/32 X 5/32 which is close enough so I'm gonna shot them an email in the AM Thanxs folks for the help

One of the classic deck plank materials is Holly. Dave has it. Some say it is too light (nearly white) - a matter of personal taste.
He also has other options, ie. River Birch or Silver Ash. Ask for samples.
Janos

Last edited:
Excellent timber supplier, an EXPERT ON ALL THINGS WOOD for model ship builders, please be patient with Dave and Ev as they are going through some family problems right now and may some time in answering, make sure you email Ev with your order her email is on there site under mrswood she takes all the orders and prices them, have used them for quite a number of years completly satisfied with them. Don

One of the classic deck plank materials is Holly. Dave has it. Some say it is too light (nearly white) - a matter of personal taste.
Janos

Hard maple makes a good decking wood, especially in larger scales where the grain is less an issue. Plus it’s cheap!

Janos
I was thinking since it's out of my pocket I would use something cheap. This is the cross section I'm building for my Boss he didnt want anything special so was thinking basswood the original planking in the kit is Tanganyka. I pulled out my stain supply and was able to decently match the color up on scrap basswood I had. The color of the wood is a cherry tanganyka looking up the color variation of the wood shows several different tones of color. I used cherry with 4 drops of gunstock and got a fairly close match

Here are three examples of different decking I've used. The first is boxwood on the deck of my Independence/Clio; the second is maple on the deck of our 17th Century Battle Station' and the third is my Royal Navy ship of the line using holly.

All can be fine, depending upon what you're looking for: accuracy, economy, contrast in color etc.indy6 (2).jpgImg_0194.jpgdone4.JPG

Hi, strips in the size you want, in various timbers, is available in Australia from Modellers Central. https://www.modelerscentral.com/timbers/timber-strips/

Hi Cracker,
its cheaper to buy timber strips from ZHL models in China, than to purchase from modellers central.
Alternatively, you can order from Dave at the Lumberyard.

Back