Dental tools

Hello..being a Denturist and dental lab owner.....I use lots of dental tools in my model building.

Like hand pieces...lathes....vacuum formers, a plethera of hand tools...etc. Ie..putty's, silicone, dental, wax's/stones.
Does anyone else use dental tools in building your models?

Rob

probablynot said:
Whenever I visit my dentist, I envy all the lovely drilling bits he uses for gouging away chunks of my real teeth and replacing them with amalgam! They look so useful!

There used to be a time when dentists here in the UK gave you gold fillings. Now, however, they just find excuses for removing your existing gold fillings and replacing them with porcelain or something. Then they charge you for the porcelain and keep your gold and cash it in, even when you've said you want to keep your gold for yourself!

But I'm sure you're not like that!

Modern dental gold is good for nothing but dental applications. Generally reusing gold that has been placed in a persons mouth is not permitted anyway.
Do you use dental tools for ship building?

Rob

All this talk of dental tools etc. reminded me of an old friend of mine (back around 1972). He was in his late 70's (then)and a retired dentist! And keen Model Engineer, one day he presented me with a gift.....his old travelling dentist kit.... :eek: Fearsome looking piece of antique'ery. Only too pleased I never had to face the like in action. I'm cured of 'lusting after dental tools' Just got a healthy respect(?) :cry: for them these days.

Rob (near Oxford UK)
(on the ways....Model Shipways English Pinnace)

rjt said:
All this talk of dental tools etc. reminded me of an old friend of mine (back around 1972). He was in his late 70's (then)and a retired dentist! And keen Model Engineer, one day he presented me with a gift.....his old travelling dentist kit.... :eek: Fearsome looking piece of antique'ery. Only too pleased I never had to face the like in action. I'm cured of 'lusting after dental tools' Just got a healthy respect(?) :cry: for them these days.

Rob (near Oxford UK)
(on the ways....Model Shipways English Pinnace)

Many dental tools I speak of are handpieces for grinding/cutting and waxing tools for rigging and building. Not to mention lots of materials that can be used...such as dental stones, acrylics, waxes and such.

About 3 yaers ago I also abserved the various bits my dentist hade available to him for drilling teeth. It struck me that some of bits would help in shaping the various details we all encounter during construction. I asked him what he did with the old which were too dull for further tooth drilling. He said he threw them out. Well I then asked if he would give me his castoffs. He said "No problem".
Over the next couple of months, I went to his office a few times and now has an extensive collection of various bits well suited and still sharp enough for carving wood. Try it. The worst that can happen is that he says 'no'.

Chris
cts324

Yep...some of the best *bits* are root canal drills. A tapering drill that comes in many small sizes and fit your handpiece..without Collets. They need to be sterilized before you can have them..

Dull for cutting tooth tissue is sharp for modeling..for sure.

Rob

I have a freind who is a dentist and he gave me a Spectro Surge dental machine when he updated his equipment. I use this for my carving needs on my build of The Sovereign of The Seas 1637. It has a brushless motor handpiece and is adjustable up to 20,000 rpm with foot pedal operation. It includes a clever lcd light as well.

I use dental burs from several sources and rely on this unit to produce ornamentation for my model..

Regards
Bill

1FA27CAF-C798-4720-9D25-112433CB9632.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen Bill's dental drill in his book and in his logs but I could not find any. Then I found the small Proxxon engraver which was much better than any flexible shaft but weak. I ended up with the Marathon micro motor, which is a tool used by dentists and dental technicians as well as nail artists (they are replacing their Dremels with this). Much better than Dremel, no comparison at all. Even cheaper on eBay.
Janos

Back