Deutsches Hafenmuseum Hamburg

The museum is still a warehouse for maritime treasures. A new building is planned in which all the treasures will be presented in a dignified manner.

P4190611.JPG
In front of the museum a salvaged eight ton mooring boat.

P4190595.JPG

P4190604.JPG
Wooden fish catcher.

P4190605.JPG

P4190606.JPG
Steam engines and boilers are on display.

P4190608.JPG
A salvaged gnom motor winch of the Peking.

P4190593.JPG
Navigation equipment.

P4190607.JPG

P4190601.JPG

P4190610.JPG
And of course ship models.

Hallo Thomas,
Very interesting, especially the Gnom engine. I am a member of the historical society of the Motorenfabrik in Oberursel, whete the Gnom engines were built.
May I send your post with the photos onto the Museum Board? Do you have more images of the said Gnom?

Many thanks, Trevor

Hi Trevor!

From 5 to 7 May 2023 is harbour festival in Hamburg. Then the now again functional engine will be demonstrated on the quay wall in front of the Peking. There will certainly be a film about it on YouTube ("Stiftung Historische Museen Hamburg" or"Deutsches Hafenmuseum SHMH" or Neues von der Peking/Der GNOM-Motor").
Although I was in Hamburg for a long time there were so many museums, ships and other sights to visit that is was only enough for one photo for the Gnom engine. Feel free to use the photos for your historical society!

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Hallo Thomas,
Very interesting, especially the Gnom engine. I am a member of the historical society of the Motorenfabrik in Oberursel, whete the Gnom engines were built.
May I send your post with the photos onto the Museum Board? Do you have more images of the said Gnom?

Many thanks, Trevor
Hello Trevor, small hint: Arbeitskreis historischer Schiffbau e.V. Not only model building, also shipping/shipbuilding history. I'm also a member there, but I don't know anything about machinery.

Back