Diagonal Ratlines on 1540s Portuguese Ships?

I am curious if anyone knows a history of this rigging? I have never seen diagonal ratlines before. From a YT documentary on Japanese first contact with Europeans, 1543. View attachment 450955
I don't think it is painted from an actual ship. It is rather a painter's interpretation\vision. If you closely look, there are no deadeyes, or blocks attached. Also, have you ever climbed on Ratlines? I cannot imagine climbing using such ratlines.

I don't think it is painted from an actual ship. It is rather a painter's interpretation\vision. If you closely look, there are no deadeyes, or blocks attached. Also, have you ever climbed on Ratlines? I cannot imagine climbing using such ratlines

I don't think it is painted from an actual ship. It is rather a painter's interpretation\vision. If you closely look, there are no deadeyes, or blocks attached. Also, have you ever climbed on Ratlines? I cannot imagine climbing using such ratlines.
What's with the 'Baggy Pants'? Hardley, suited for climbing rigging!

I agree with @Jimsky and I would dare to say that in that time there where no ratlines on most of the ships. 1540 was the time that ratlines where not usual on ships, they used a rope ladder to get to the top.

Could be the ship went out with the cargo in the bows and returned with something else in the stern

Hoy, intresting, good question. This is definitely new to me, I'll check some books. I'm going to go with crewmember Jimsky, "artist interpretation." I'll keep an eye focused on the ratlines of Junks from now on, if I find anything I'll hoist a signal.

Hoy, me again,, you said "1540 Portugese." I apologize, from the picture I thought this was from the Orient. By chance this very day I'm building a model of Nao Victoria. A Portuguese ship of 1519 Magellans fleet. The first ship to sail around the World! It has traditional horizontal lines. I just finished the Nina and Pinta 1492 also with horizontal ratlines. The Nina Pinta and Santa Maria of 1492, Victoria of 1519, the Golden Hind of 1578 all have horizontal ratlines. Replica ships exist today of these ships.
If this drawing is of a European ship then crewmember Jimsky is 'in my opinion ' definitely correct. Not many artist are sailors and don't have the eye or knowledge of detail on a ship. Look how many artist show smoke coming out of Titanic's fourth funnel. I cant stand looking at the new AI renditions of sailing ships or ANYTHING AI has.

Back