Difference between the 3 ZHL Black Pearl kits.

Like many new comers to this forum, I think the final nail in the coffin in getting into ship building was the ZHL pirate ships.
Couldn’t find if this has been asked before, but what is the difference between the 3 different models offered.

It seams as if the golden version is slightly smaller in scale, and does not have any parts to really build any lower deck detail, the all scenario version just includes more parts than the all sealed version and gives the option of showing the hull, and the all sealed is what it says, all sealed up.

Is there anything else that I’m missing? The extra $250 for the interior parts on the all scenario version feels like a stretch.

Also, off the top of your head, are there any other kits similarly priced (200ish USD) that is a similar scale to that 1:50 and offers detailed interior decks and the ability to light the kit?

Cheers

I have the all scenario version. Interestingly, the sleeve states scale is 1/41 although most people quote 1/50. The kit doesn't come with the option to close the hull, but it shouldn't be too hard to scratch build, using the other side as a pattern. The supplied leds are tiny and you are meant to solder wires to them!
The resin accessories are beautifully moulded. And will really add to the appearance.
Pole 3, the optional 3rd part, has more accessories and everything necessary to complete the upper masts. The weak parts are the figures in pole 3.they are really not up to the standard of the rest of the kit, and the stand base on mine is MDF, not solid wood.

Hope this helps.
Nigel.

I’m doing the all version with the upper masts. I enjoyed working the lower decks. The wiring for the lights was a little too much for me, so I ordered lights from Evans Designs. They communicate well with you and step you through what you need. I wish I could have used the kit lights for the lanterns, but it seems they might not be compatible with Evans products. They burned out quickly.

Like many new comers to this forum, I think the final nail in the coffin in getting into ship building was the ZHL pirate ships.
Couldn’t find if this has been asked before, but what is the difference between the 3 different models offered.

It seams as if the golden version is slightly smaller in scale, and does not have any parts to really build any lower deck detail, the all scenario version just includes more parts than the all sealed version and gives the option of showing the hull, and the all sealed is what it says, all sealed up.

Is there anything else that I’m missing? The extra $250 for the interior parts on the all scenario version feels like a stretch.

Also, off the top of your head, are there any other kits similarly priced (200ish USD) that is a similar scale to that 1:50 and offers detailed interior decks and the ability to light the kit?
I have the older Golden version of the Black Pearl. WarrLight has the newer version of the Pearl. There are a few updates on the newer one but I believe the scale is the same. I guess it depends on your level of experience. Reggie and I were total newbies to model building so a fictional ship at a good price point was a great way to enter into the hobby. Take a look at our build logs and Victators all scenario version and match them up with your expertise.

I have the all scenario version. Interestingly, the sleeve states scale is 1/41 although most people quote 1/50. The kit doesn't come with the option to close the hull, but it shouldn't be too hard to scratch build, using the other side as a pattern. The supplied leds are tiny and you are meant to solder wires to them!
The resin accessories are beautifully moulded. And will really add to the appearance.
Pole 3, the optional 3rd part, has more accessories and everything necessary to complete the upper masts. The weak parts are the figures in pole 3.they are really not up to the standard of the rest of the kit, and the stand base on mine is MDF, not solid wood.

Hope this helps.
Nigel.
I was briefly looking into that 3rd pole upgrade. As far as the masts go, does the base model kit come with enough mast and sail material to "finish" the boat, but the extra parts in the 3rd pole make it more complete looking? That was the only really interesting part in the upgrade kit to me, and would probably just scratch build my own stuff.

I have the older Golden version of the Black Pearl. WarrLight has the newer version of the Pearl. There are a few updates on the newer one but I believe the scale is the same. I guess it depends on your level of experience. Reggie and I were total newbies to model building so a fictional ship at a good price point was a great way to enter into the hobby. Take a look at our build logs and Victators all scenario version and match them up with your expertise.
Just cruised over your build, looking great so far. Seams we both have a similar mindset as our first builds. Just like I thought, the golden version doesn't have any lower deck detailing which explains the price difference. Seams like a perfect kit for my first build and for a second I can do one with a more intricate build as far as the interior stuff. I can see myself building both the golden version, and the all scenario at a later date, but going with a different vibe for both ships.

Reactions: Jay
Pole 3 contains everything necessary to complete all 3 topmasts. Hopefully the parts list will help. IMG_20201219_200740.jpg

Back