Dimensional accuracies of commercial thread (rope)

I am considering purchasing some rope commercially. What are the things I should be looking for in terms of quality and correct dimensions, e.g. diameter as advertsied? I am concerned that the diameter of the rope could be smaller or larger than advertised. What is the best method to measure the diameter of the rope?

Trevor

I am considering purchasing some rope commercially. What are the things I should be looking for in terms of quality and correct dimensions, e.g. diameter as advertsied? I am concerned that the diameter of the rope could be smaller or larger than advertised. What is the best method to measure the diameter of the rope?

Trevor
Good afternoon Trevor. The easiest way: measure out 10 mm with a pencil. Wrap a rope around this gap, the turns should be tight to each other. After that, divide 10 by the number of turns to get the diameter of the rope.

And in addition: the dimatr of the rope of a non-model can be increased for watchability. But that's up to you. If, for example, according to calculations, you need a rope with a diameter of 0.47 mm, then it is normal to take 0.5. There is nothing wrong.

Many thanks for your suggestions and tips.
I wrapped a thread 10 times around a round piece of wood, keeping the thread tight to each other, then measured the total width of the wrappings. I used the thread from the kit to do this and the total was about 1 mm less than it should have been. That is to say, the diameter of the thread was 0.1 mm less than it should have been. I can live with that!
Trevor

Good afternoon Trevor. The easiest way: measure out 10 mm with a pencil. Wrap a rope around this gap, the turns should be tight to each other. After that, divide 10 by the number of turns to get the diameter of the rope.
Or you could measure the diameter directly using a dial caliper graduated in units of 0.001" (available on eBay starting at about 20 bucks). I also use a microscope at 7x to make sure I am accounting properly for the fuzz on the rope; much fastener than wrapping around a dowel..

Back