Display Pedestal

Wood finishing is not something I know much about. Does anyone have input on the best way to finish this where it will have a nice sheen on it? Sort of like polished furniture.

Attachments

• IMG_2467.JPG
    IMG_2467.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 32
Wood finishing is not something I know much about. Does anyone have input on the best way to finish this where it will have a nice sheen on it? Sort of like polished furniture.
The most obvious is to use wipe on poly. It is about as fool proof a finish as one can get. Just follow the instructions on the can and the results will be there. Having said that I myself would want to apply something like linseed oil as this would appear to be a nice piece of walnut. Without me boring you fire up utube and punch in finishing wood. You will be overwhelmed with the information available. The key to a beautiful finish is preparation of the wood. From the photo yours looks ready to go. The one thing I would not recommend is slapping on coats of a high gloss finish. The piece will end up looking like a piece of plastic. Yuk.
If you have questions please write back; I’ve been making furniture and finishing it for a long time.
John

Hello, First of all, you don't want your stand more attractive than the model herself, IMHO. I like to use oil and wax: a few coats of bright oil and wax on top. This will protect the wood and give it a nice sheen.

The most obvious is to use wipe on poly. It is about as fool proof a finish as one can get. Just follow the instructions on the can and the results will be there. Having said that I myself would want to apply something like linseed oil as this would appear to be a nice piece of walnut. Without me boring you fire up utube and punch in finishing wood. You will be overwhelmed with the information available. The key to a beautiful finish is preparation of the wood. From the photo yours looks ready to go. The one thing I would not recommend is slapping on coats of a high gloss finish. The piece will end up looking like a piece of plastic. Yuk.
If you have questions please write back; I’ve been making furniture and finishing it for a long time.
John
John,

Thanks a lot for the input. I am headed to YouTube now to take a look. I will also look for the wipe on poly. Yeah, this looks like a very nice piece of wood, thus my reason for reaching out for help. Thanks again.

Mike

John,

Thanks a lot for the input. I am headed to YouTube now to take a look. I will also look for the wipe on poly. Yeah, this looks like a very nice piece of wood, thus my reason for reaching out for help. Thanks again.

Mike
You are very welcome. I’ve finished more projects in wood than I want to remember. Not really, I’m addicted to wood.

Hello, First of all, you don't want your stand more attractive than the model herself, IMHO. I like to use oil and wax: a few coats of bright oil and wax on top. This will protect the wood and give it a nice sheen.
Jimsky, I’m curious about your oil/wax process. What oil product you use and how you use it. You referring to something like linseed or tung oils? I very much favor wax finishes. Thanks, Mike

Jimsky, I’m curious about your oil/wax process. What oil product you use and how you use it. You referring to something like linseed or tung oils? I very much favor wax finishes. Thanks, Mike
Thanks, Mike. I like using natural oils like Linseed, Flaxseed, or Tung where the Danish Oil is a blend. The surface must be sanded smooth and clean from dust (this is a MUST). Liberally oil the surface and wait 15 minutes until the oil penetrates. After 15 minutes any oils left wipe with a dry and clean cloth. leave it to dry for at least 48 hours. Next, lightly sand with 1000 grit sandpaper, clean, and repeat the oil process again. After the oil dry (again 48 hours), process with 0000 steelwool. The last step is to wax the surface until you will archive a nice luxurious sheen.

I have finished wood with Interlux marine sealer (two coats, sanding in between) plus one, two or three coats of Interlux marine varnish for years with excellent results. Eventually the combination becomes very hard and darkens to a translucent golden color.

Back