DocBlake's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build - 1/32 Scale - [COMPLETED BUILD]

Except for the mast partners the lower deck framing is complete. I wiped it down with mineral spirits to give you an idea of how the finished product will look. I'm planning holly for the decking and bloodwood for the spirketing. The hatch coamings will be rosewood and the grating boxwood. Next is the waterways and
spirketing, then the chain pumps and hatches.

No Greg, you're right. The ledges are thinner and less deep than the beams and carlings, although this may not have been universally true. I took the easy way out since this was my first fully-framed deck built from scratch. Mike did the same with his prototype. Maybe he can weigh in! Mike's deck photos below.8178381784

I dont blame you Dave for taking the easy way out. It will be very tedious for chisel all of the ledgers' half mortises out of the carlings. :D
I am in no way being critical towards Mike, I understand and appreciate his decision to make this easier for the novice builders, like me and so many more.

Hi Dave, Greg
The beam connections are correct according to the drawings. I tried to simplify a lot of the construction details so a novice would not be overwhelmed with how complex some of the construction can be and would concentrate on the overall construction process.
This project is an introductory exercise as an alternated to building kits. We have several very fine craftsmen improving on the basic design with stunning results which is very helpful to beginners, they can see what is possible with a little extra work.
I believe everyone participating in the group build has benefited from the experience.
Mike

Hi Dave, Greg
The beam connections are correct according to the drawings. I tried to simplify a lot of the construction details so a novice would not be overwhelmed with how complex some of the construction can be and would concentrate on the overall construction process.
This project is an introductory exercise as an alternated to building kits. We have several very fine craftsmen improving on the basic design with stunning results which is very helpful to beginners, they can see what is possible with a little extra work.
I believe everyone participating in the group build has benefited from the experience.
Mike
G'day Mike
Even though, I haven't physically participated in this venture of this group-build, I have learnt a lot from everyone's logs entries. I would like to say a huge thank you for giving us not only your time, but knowledge in this marvelous adventure.
This is what that makes this forum unique, and I'm so proud to be a (silent) participant in these great builds.

Hi Dave you are definatly not a novice builder your craftsmanship is just remarable, I understand you said you were going to use holly for your deck planking, I am also, but the last time I used Holly it easily got dirty and had a hard time cleaning it up, WHAT DO YOU USE TO PROTECT THE HOLLY DURING CONSTRUCTION. THANKS Don

Back in the shipyard after some time in Arizona.
In the general Blandford thread, we had a discussion about the construction of the chain pumps. Goodwin's book pretty much concedes the pump housing etc. were made of wood...elm specifically. I decided to build the pumps out of boxwood. I cut a blank to shape, added the boxwood supports and planked it with boxwood. The wheel covers were cut from some 5/8" dowel and sanded flat to create the half-cylinder shape. These were then planked with 1/16" thick boxwood.

I was going to add black treenails to simulate bolts holding the structure together, but I realized that the holes would only be about 1/32" diameter (1" in scale). At this size it wasn't really worth it. I just drilled holes for the bolt locations and darkened the wholes with a lead pencil. I didn't bother to simulate bolts on the slats on the wheel covers. Here is my progress so far.chain1.jpgchain2.jpgchain3.jpgchain5.jpgchain7.jpg

Back