DocBlake's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build - 1/32 Scale - [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks, guys!

Mike: Mike Shanks and I built a POF model of the Armed Virginia Sloop by Lauck Street Shipyards. It uses the technique I described to build the frames. I've started a 1/24 scale Triton cross section and a POF Fair American so I've had a little experience with building frames.

Hi Dave

I see that you are off to a very fine start on your HMS Blandford Cross Section. Very nice woodwork you produced with seemingly little effort on your behalf, WELL DONE. You sure seem to be a pro at this kind of a build. I have not yet started my cross section build as yet but by looking over your build log you have given me a lot of very fine pointers that should be a great help to me when I do get started, ENJOY

Regards Lawrence

Guys:
I'm getting ready to notch the keel to accept the frames. The plans call for the keel notches to be substantially wider than the frames - at least 1/16"!! Do I try to cut the notches to fit tightly around the frames, or clean out the whole area and worry about setting up the frames properly in the oversized notches late?

Hi Dave,
The frames should be a snug fit in the notches, I thought we had this problem fixed. Just use the frame center lines and cut the notches to fit the frames.
Mike

Hallo Dave, on the photo it is looking like, that the floor timber of the frame is reduced in the thickness.
Seems, that this is the reason why the frame is smaller than the score in the keel. Can this be?

Mike: The notches seem to fit much better in the revised keel drawing, but the keel length is 1/16" shorter than the previous keel, the building jig or any of the other drawings based on keel length. The old keel (and the deck length in other drawings as well as the jig) was 7-27/32" long. The revised keel is 7-25/32" long.

Hi Dave,
I revised the building board drawings to the new keel dimensions. I don’t think the extra 1/32” at each end will affect the other drawing very much. Thanks for your input.
Mike

Attachments

• Blandford_Build_Board-32-Sht1.pdf
    212.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Blandford_Build_Board-32-Sht2.pdf
    207.8 KB · Views: 52
Thanks, Mike! You are probably right. What I did was copy the .pdf page showing the keel by 101 %. Since the change of 1% is small in the long dimension, it is insignificant in changing the height. The result was that the new template matched my keel length and building board dimensions.

Hi Dave,
I hope it doesn’t take you long to replace the top of your building board, I really like the precision work you are doing with this build.
Mike

I don't think I need change to building jig , Mike. By enlarging the revised keel drawing to 101%, the drawing has the same dimension as the jig in length, but didn't increase in height significantly at all. I think I'm good!

Back