DocBlake's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build - 1/32 Scale - [COMPLETED BUILD]

Dave, As I had a terible time on the lower deck frameing, learned a lot of how not to do things and am learning from your build a better way one thing I am doing is putting on the carlings and ledges before putting MDBs 2 & 3, then putting them on but first I dry fit the beams to get my location and fit it on the model and I used what I call a wood stop after takeing off the plans the locations of MDB 2 & 3. will show pictures tommorrow. Don

I bought a new Proxxon micro lathe and picked up a set of micro lathe chisels on Amazon for $24.00. Here is my first practice attempt at turning the pillars in the hold which support the lower deck. The lathe works quite well. I love the variable speed feature. The blank in the photo is 1/4" square.80884

Beam 1 and 2 are glued in place. Before I can go any further, I need to glue the well and shot locker in place. The support column for beam 2 passes through the shot locker directly aft of the aft wall of the well. A weird design, for sure. Here's how I simulated it. I just turned a partial column, drilled a hole in the shot locker that fit the shaft, and glued the partial column in place.81116

Thanks, guys!

Mike: Of course not! Each individual limber board would have been 3-4 feet long with a finger hole on each end so it could be easily handled by one seaman.
Thanks Dave. A question if you don’t mind, would the bolts on the strake’s be the same size as the keelson? Are treenails used on the footwaling? Thanks for the help.

Back