DocBlake's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build - 1/32 Scale - [COMPLETED BUILD]

As always DOC, just stunning, BEAUTIFUL. Don PS as i am nearing completion my next problem is the steps, would like to see how you make them as there is no patern that i can use

OK, OK!!!!! You shamed me into doing it! I must be getting lazy!

I'm thinking 1/2" square timbers (16" scale inches square). I'd like a little color contrast with the frames, so lighter than the beech. Boxwood? A waste of lumber, I think. Maybe Alaskan yellow cedar? Should be easy to work and a nice contrast in appearance. I would have used beech if the frames weren't beech.

Hi Doc am nearing completion of my build, will show pictures soon, i am at the gun placement stage and like you and others i do not like to rig the guns, and am interested in what you showed as a another method could you show another view of how this is done and what rings go into the bulkheads. Don

HI DOC OR MIKE41 QUESTION ON THE PLANS AS I AM TRYING TO FINISH IT UP, THE BALLAST PORT THE NOTE SAYS 3/16 SQUARE, but the item is much larger on the elevation view, witch is correct, please, and doc do you have a different view of the alternative for the gun rigging and what rings go on the bulkheads. THANKS Don

Don: The ballast port cover is 1/2” square. Go with the plans. Not sure what your question is about the rings. The plans do show the location, however. I did start a thread about alternative rigging for guns.

THANKS Doc my question about the guns concerned your alternate method, are the rings using this method the same as using blocks and i was wondering if there are other views for this. THANKS Don

Hi Don!

The method of rigging without blocks uses just the breaching line which is seized to rings on the bulwark and wrapped around the cannon cascabel. The train tackle (using blocks) were fixed to the carriage and the bulwarks by hooks attached to eyebolts. They can be just eliminated. I don’t have any other photos of the rig, but the one in my previous thread shows how the slack of the breaching line is taken up by lashing over the top of the gun. Hope this helps!

Absolutely a stunning build Doc. I love the colors and tones of the woods.

've been working on some odds and ends. I finally decided I'd like to make the gun carriages out of boxwood. I liked the look of the boxwood carriages we used in the 17th Century Battle Station build. We used Mike's plans, and I had Mike Shanks cut out the carriages out of boxwood. Here they are, without the cannons. We have another idea for those!!!newguns.jpg

I decided to make my own eyebolts for the carriages. I used a jewelry making tool to fashion them. First some 1/32" diameter brass rod was blackened. It's inserted in the tool, and when the handles are closed, it automatically forms a ring and clips off the excess. The eye is 3mm win diameter I.D. and 1/8" in diameter O.D. This is pretty good for 1/32 scale. The tool is available in 1.5mm I.D. and 2.5mm I.D. for smaller scales. A little pricey, but if you're making up a couple of hundred eyebolts, maybe worth it!

newbolt1.jpgnewbolt2.jpgnewbolt3.jpgnewbolt4.jpg

Back