DocBlake's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build - 1/32 Scale - [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks, guys!

I need a show of hands! I'm ready to decide how to handle the treenailing of the external bulwark planking. Mike's plans call for a diagonal arrangement of the two nails on each plank over the frames. In the AOTS book, Goodwin opts for the vertical alignment (see photos below). The planks are 8 scale inches wide. The usual convention would be to use the vertical arrangement for planks less than 8" wide, and the diagonal layout for planks 8" wide or greater. I could go either way. What do you all think?

Nails1.jpgnails2.jpg

My 2 cents:
I would go for the first version with diagonal arrangement.
Reason: in my opinion technically more correct, but only due to the chosen simplified way of the framing - we have everywhere on the section double frames, which are wide enough for the diagonal nailing.
I would be very careful with the diameter of the nails. If you make them small with not a big contrast to the planking timber - it will look great

If the Goodwin version is the historically correct way Blandford was nailed, I would have gone for this one.
Mike's version is prettier to the eye, but it would have been nice to see you show this way to make your nails.
Exciting to see what you choose,
Greeting-

If the Goodwin version is the historically correct way Blandford was nailed, I would have gone for this one.
Mike's version is prettier to the eye, but it would have been nice to see you show this way to make your nails.
Exciting to see what you choose,
Greeting-
There were regulations available of this time and documented. The situation is now, that the framing of our model is not following these old regulations
I do not have the book with me now, but have only some photos available from the book review of Goodwins book

Here is the shown framing on page 39
IMG_19331.jpg
In moment I am missing the pages 40 and 41, (I guess there is planking shown, maybe the page shown by Dave is from these pages)
but I have page 43 where also diagonal nailing is shown
IMG_19341.jpg

I planked the bulwarks down to and including the first plank of the wale. I drilled holes for the treenails with a #65 drill. Everything looked good. Once the treenails were glued in, clipped and sanded, I noticed a little bleed through at the planking butt joints. Especially the but joint on frame #2. I thought this was odd because I used acrylic paint, not Magic Marker, and I didn't expect bleed through. What I'll do from now on is seal the butt joint ends with some CA glue (quick drying) before painting with black acrylic. Should stop any problems. The joints will be less noticeable once all the external hull details are added. I do plan to treenail the wales.

planks1.jpgplanks2.jpg

Nice work Dave, can you tell us a little about the acrylic paint you talk about ?,
Do you paint the boards on the sides and end with black acrylic paint before gluing the boards to the hull?
Is it correct what I say ?, it is the first time I have heard of this way / technique.
Thanks.

I planked the bulwarks down to and including the first plank of the wale. I drilled holes for the treenails with a #65 drill. Everything looked good. Once the treenails were glued in, clipped and sanded, I noticed a little bleed through at the planking butt joints. Especially the but joint on frame #2. I thought this was odd because I used acrylic paint, not Magic Marker, and I didn't expect bleed through. What I'll do from now on is seal the butt joint ends with some CA glue (quick drying) before painting with black acrylic. Should stop any problems. The joints will be less noticeable once all the external hull details are added. I do plan to treenail the wales.

View attachment 110062View attachment 110063
Very nice Dave, and diagonal was definitely the right choice!

Ted

Nice work Dave, can you tell us a little about the acrylic paint you talk about ?,
Do you paint the boards on the sides and end with black acrylic paint before gluing the boards to the hull?
Is it correct what I say ?, it is the first time I have heard of this way / technique.
Thanks.
Sorry Knut, for being so late to reply!

I formerly used charcoal pencils to simulate deck and plank caulking. The problem with this is the gray dust generated after sanding. Stains the wood and gets everywhere. I tried paint and it worked better, but there was a lot of cleanup before the planks could be used. I’d gang them together with clamps and paint the edges. There was a lot of seepage onto the surface that had to be scraped off. Then I found Sharpie acrylic paint pens! Great control and little clean up. A little slower, because each plank is done individually, but much less cleanup overall. Paint scrapes off with an X-Acto blade.3CC4BD4C-D400-497C-9C67-3DA49F1DE66A.jpeg

The Stand is high quality executed - but I do not know if it will fit from the style to the section model - but this is a pure question of subjective taste !!!
But you know it much better, because I am sure, that you already made dry-fits together with the section :cool:

Back