Donnie's HMS Blandford Cross Section Build: 1/32 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you Mike for that little vote of approval - even though I am probably thinking too much. It seems that a little thinking ahead might be paying off some.

The brass rod is ONLY for alignment (and for a little amusement as well)

Working my way through the x-section attaching supports. Sometimes I do small increments like this. I already messed up a small batch of supports by drilling the holes too small. Had to throw them away. This what happens to me when I become overly confident - I usually screw something up. Therefore, I cut out a mass of parts only to find that I measured something wrong - hince the fact of bringing back incremental steps again.

Camera close-ups do weird things with perspective. The bitts are nearly right at 90 ° to the deck. The supports do have tiny 5mm wide bushings that the 1mm rod passes through. When all this is a clear go, then the crank handles are next - I have a plan for the handles which I hope makes assembly more efficient.

Nothing is glued in yet as far as the bitts and MDB go. I might glue all the Bitts and Pillars only to the upper beams and NOT the deck so I can remove the Beams (of course the pillars will ride along too when or if I need to pull the beams off)

jeer-bitts-support-03.jpgjeer-bitts-support-04.jpg

This is how I "intend" to install the crank handles. Remains to be seen - we will see what happens. The alignment Rod stays in place the whole time, just the alignment rod will get cut at the crank locations working my way down.

jeer-bitts-full-assembly.jpg

I would like to use CA instead of soldering ---It seems to me that CA glue is not like it used to be. Can anyone elaborate?

Very good work - clean and accurate - a pleasure to see your model Thumbsup
And interesting to read your research and preparations - a very interesting building log

Thank you Uwek and others. I appreciate the comments.

I am working out my intended plan for cranks and seems to be paying off. I was able to solder the small bushings onto the handles. Due to the fact that the solder filled up the small bushings, I then just used a common handheld drill to drill out the bushings so the Handles will pass through the Rods as intended.

cranks-01.jpgcranks-02.jpgcranks-03.jpg

I would be so happy, if I would have your knowledge in these metal works - Very good work

Thanks for all the likes !!!
Onward to finishing the Cranks. Not too bad. Just a little planning and patience. I did not realize that brass would solder well. I actually found that making these like this was easier to me than trying to get all the bends just right. Having a Mill and Lathe really makes life easier (to some extent) - barring the fact that some parts had to be remade.

making-cranks-01.jpg

making-cranks-02.jpg

making-cranks-03.jpg

making-cranks-04.jpg

making-cranks-05.jpg

making-cranks-06.jpg

making-cranks-07.jpg

making-cranks-08.jpg

This cordless power drill is cleaning out solder than filled the little cups up.

making-cranks-09.jpg

Finished and a little more cleanup and filing to do.
making-cranks-10.jpg

I bought some glue from Hobby Lobby that is intended for Metal and Wood parts. It has the consistency of plastic modelers glue. This was used to glue the cranks onto main shafts. I am going to leave the main shaft as natural brass. I know it is not authentic but leaves a little contrast between the black cranks and the brass shafts.
making-cranks-11.jpg

making-cranks-12.jpg

making-cranks-13.jpg

making-cranks-14.jpg

making-cranks-15.jpg

Back